Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default Bluesy song "Over Now", comments welcome...

We did this little collaboration over the web, and I am kind of thinking that the mixing is close to done. There is a place or two where the vocals need a little taming, but overall I think it sounds good.

https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...97ocf7fqxo.mp3

All comments are welcome.
Thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
bluetinstar

The mix is a 'bit of a mess', although I think I can hear where you are trying to come from with this.
IMO it has potential, but the mix needs a lot more thought !
Kind regards
Fred
bluetinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetinstar View Post
The mix is a 'bit of a mess', although I think I can hear where you are trying to come from with this.
IMO it has potential, but the mix needs a lot more thought !
Kind regards
Fred
Thanks.
Care to be more constructive?
"A mess" doesn't really help in improving it.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
bluetinstar

As I said Fabian... It needs more thought.
Like that's YOUR thought son. Its YOUR mix.. !

Fred
Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
bluetinstar

My last reply sounds a little 'curt', so I suppose I should add to it.
I am The Listener/Your Public etc... waiting to be entertained by your sounds.
Before I listen, I read that you are "quite pleased with the mix"... so my expectations
are heightened ! Here is a man with 4000+ posts on the forums, telling me he is pleased with his mix !
But... I listen, and then I listen again through a better (studio) speaker system to make sure that I am hearing what was intended...
And.. I find that the track is very difficult to listen to...
There is obviously a problem with the mix of this track that makes it a 'difficult listen' !
The music is great ! But I feel that it could be presented to the listening audience in a far more acceptable (listenable) way.
I hope this clarifies my original comments.
Regards
Fred
Old 04-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
whiteaxxxe
Banned

so I had a listen to it. and then again a listen to it.

I dont think its that good. in fact, its not good at all.

take it please as my opinion. I am judging from my taste.

first comes to mind the question: where are the drums? where is the bass? and why do those 2 guitars left and right play so uninspired? not sharp at all, as if there were problems to keep up with the groove. bad playing, sorry, imo. as a guitar player I would say: thinking with the left hand, when in that case the thinking should be in the right hand only, the stroking hand (assuming you are not a leftie and the term "stroking" hand is meant here in a musical context ...)

so bass and drums are left out of the mix and the guitars dont get the groove across to the listener( me). thats strange, because I am awaiting to be drawn into a BB king - like blues ...

then the vocals come in. bad. the voice is trying to exaggerate and to do what she is not capable of. bad decision. the vocals should be sung a lot more backed down. if someone cant growl and cant get bluesy: leave it out, do it straight. so the vocals are unable to cope with the task, she obviously put herself into.

and the mix of the vocals is also bad. did she try to double it? didnt work. is it electronicalls doubled? didnt work also. it sounds like "I mix but I really dont know what I am doing here". for me a clear case of bad sources tried to mix together to cover things up.

the guitar-solo: the same sound, a little bit more distorted, as the rhythm gits, played uninspired, withour edge, withour pronunciation. if you play so, you hve to think of something according to your playing style to throw in. you cant get to BB King - or Gary Moore - style if you dont know what phrasing means, at least if you cant phrase. the guitar solo is the point where the last parts fall apart, where it becomes clear, that there was a plan and noone, no part of this collaboration was up to it.

its what gives the blues a bad name. sorry to say that, I am honest, political incorrect and blunt, but that song is a really bad idea. and I dont think its because of the mix. I think the idea is too thin and the participants are trying to do what the cant and the mix is bad.

did you compare that mix to something similar (from the intention similar)? Gray Moore or Joe Bonamassa? you should. then you would have noticed all the flaws. in my opinion there is not one element thats done right.

sorry, you wanted the truth.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
sorry, you wanted the truth.
Well... I neither got nor asked for the truth. But I got what I asked for, opinions.

Thanks.