Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
new to reaper
Human being with feelings

Default sending MIDI out signal from REAPER

Hi Forum

ok so basically i would be very grateful if someone can tell me how to do this in a step by step format.

what i am trying to do is basically use Reaper, while it is being run on say a laptop, to communicate with the metronome on another device which can apparently receive a MIDI signal so that the click track of Reaper is in fact in sync with the metronome on this other device.

the device in question is a yamaha DTX 3 electronic drum kit, which has a built in metronome.

i have already posted a version of this question on the yamaha forums:

http://www.dtxperience.com/forums/sh...c=1&PHPSESSID=

and from the responses there it seems that the drum kit can definately do this, taht is receive the data via MIDI and sync up with the time signature of another sequencer, so that covers one half of the set up, now the only question is; is reaper capable of sending the needed MIDI data to do this?

this is very important and i want to get it right so if any clarifications are needed with the question/what im doing etc...dont hesitate to ask.

thanks
new to reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Fabian

In the Preferences > Devices > MIDI, right click your MIDI device and select "Send Clock/SPP to output".
See here: http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...s_MIDI_Devices
Old 10-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
new to reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
In the Preferences > Devices > MIDI, right click your MIDI device and select "Send Clock/SPP to output".
See here: http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...s_MIDI_Devices
ok cool and then from here say if i connect the MIDI out of my soundcard to the MIDI in on the drums via a midi cable, will this work

is this what is mean by "output" here, the "midi out"? is that where the clock is being sent?

thanks for the reply
Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Sasu Honka

You have to go to:
Options > Preferences > MIDI devices
Right click the MIDI output you use to send data to your Yamaha and select: Configure output..
Select 2 first options: "Enable output to this device" and "Send clock/SSP to this device"

After this REAPER sends the clock. You have to set the Yamaha to ""sync to external clock"

That should do it.

EDIT: I´m always too slow!
Sasu Honka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
new to reaper

thanks very much for the responses

just one final clarification, so is it possible to set this up in a way so that not only are the time signatures and tempos of the metronome (on the kit) and the metronome (on reaper) synced but so that the drum KIT'S metronome actually STARTS and STOPS with the click track on reaper, so for example as soon as i press "play" on the meter on the reaper the Metronome on the Kit automatically and IMMEDIATELY begins as well...make sense??

also will this set up send time signature change information as well?

and again i have posted this same question in the yamaha forums (link above) so that i can make sure that he kit is also capable of receiving this information
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
Fabian

When you have your external device set to be clocked by "MIDI" (that's what my Korg DDD-1 says), the internal tempo settings do not have any effect. The device is start/stopped by the MIDI clock pulse coming from outside of it, Reaper in this case, and this clock pulse also governs the tempo. So if you change the tempo in Reaper, your external device just tags along with the tempo change.

Just try it, see if it works for you...
Old 05-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
new2reaper

Default sending midi out to MotifES

Hi, I'm new to Reaper. I just want (so far) to load a "midi file" into Reaper and then play it. Just send the data on each track to my Motif ES. Not as a VST anything' just play the file. I need a step to step intructional procedure. Please!!!

By the way... it took me a while to even find how to load a " midi file".
new2reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2reaper View Post
Hi, I'm new to Reaper. I just want (so far) to load a "midi file" into Reaper and then play it. Just send the data on each track to my Motif ES. Not as a VST anything' just play the file. I need a step to step intructional procedure. Please!!!

By the way... it took me a while to even find how to load a " midi file".
Better to start a new thread.

Or even better... search first:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...play+midi+file
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...play+midi+file