Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
PeeGee
Human being with feelings

Default Mouse noise

Hi Guys
I recently moved my PC out of my studio. To move it I had to use long extension cables for the monitor, keyboard, mouse and Line6 UX2. Great not to have all that noise in the room!
However, another demon has raised it's ugly head. I get a kind of hum thru the monitors that gets louder as I turn it up (thru the UX2)dies at around 3-6 the comes back from 6 to full on - then the hum is really loud. I also get a cat like purring sound when I move the mouse around. These noises sometimes go away. I suspect it's the extension cables. So does any one know of a fix for this?
I've got all the power from one source that has a power conditioner.

Can anyone help me with this please?

My system is:
Quad core PC
2gig ram
WinXP2
Line6 UX2 and Pod Farm
Brhringer Truth powered monitors

Cheers

PeeGee
PeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
JonnyGinese

I also have the Truth monitors 2031A's.. They react to LCDs if they are too close... I discoverer this the other day when my laptop LCD was right up next to it and the tweeter was making a hum/clicking noise... Moved the laptop LCD away and it went away.

As for the Mouse, how long is the extension cord? USB cables shouldn't go past 18ft i think... i wouldn't recommend more then 12ft. As a test put the mouse directly in with out an extension and have an assistant listen to the speakers and see if it makes the noise.

Have you tried to ground life the speakers? or the computer?
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
nofish

Seems like a ground loop to me. I also had this issue with my laptop - horrible buzz.

What you can do:

- Try not to get the power all from one source. If it's possible, try to use different power circuits.

- This didn't help for me since the room I'm in has only one power circuit so I bought this:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HD400.aspx

All buzzing gone.

Note:

I only need this for a Live setup and for this the sound is fine for me with the HD400. Haven't made extensive tests if there's small sound degredation with this device that could make it useless for studio work. But must online dealers offer a return policy, so you could test it before.

Note 2:
There are also tips floating around the net to cut the ground pin on your computer or use a three to two (ungrounded) power adapter.
I'm not a expert in those things but I've read several times that this is dangerous. So don't do this.

Last edited by nofish; 08-18-2010 at 07:57 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
PeeGee

Default Thanks

Hi guys
thanks for the swift replys.

Guess what?!! I fire up my system and all noise gone??!!?? That's part of the problem - it's intermitant.

Jonny; My monitors are close to my LCD, about 8" away so next time I get the noise I'll move them and check out the USBs to see what happens. How do you "ground life" the speakers?

Nofish: I know it's not ground loop as I sorted that problem a while back by soloing the power supply and using a power conditioner.

Cheers

PeeGee
Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
rhythmtech

if you're mouse is USB and running on the same IRQ as your soundcard you could be getting interferance. try moving your mouse to a differant group of USB slots or try using an old PS2 (circular connection) mouse.
rhythmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
PeeGee

Default irq

I've got mouse & keyboard going to the front of computer (a hub) and the UX2 going to the back, which is not a hub. Is that the same IRQ?

If it is what's the handling?

Cheers

Pg
Old 08-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
nerdfactormax

Are you running audio cables alongside other cables? This can cause problems, particularly if they travel a great distance.
nerdfactormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Seems like a ground loop to me. I also had this issue with my laptop - horrible buzz.

What you can do:

- Try not to get the power all from one source. If it's possible, try to use different power circuits.
Err... getting the power from multiple sources IS what introduces ground loops. Are you sure the above is what you actually meant?

Quote:
Ground loop is a condition where an unintended connection to ground is made through an interfering electrical conductor. Generally ground loop connection exists when an electrical system is connected through more than one way to the electrical ground.

When two or more devices are connected to a common ground through different paths, a ground loop occurs. Currents flow through these multiple paths and develop voltages which can cause damage, noise or 50Hz/60Hz hum in audio or video equipment. To prevent ground loops, all signal grounds need to go to one common point and when two grounding points cannot be avoided, one side must isolate the signal and grounds from the other.
From: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html

Cuz I'm too lazy to type all that crap myself...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
PeeGee

Default Noise

Mr Nerd....

I have these cables together;
LCD Monitor;
3 USBs;
power to computer:

they all go about 4meters - 12feet.

I,ve moved the monitors but noise is still there.

The only thing that stops the noise is when I restart the computer. This works every time.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
LCipher

>>>Guess what?!! I fire up my system and all noise gone??!!?? That's part of the problem - it's intermittent.

I had a similar issue with slight noise: Do you have any dimmer lights or anything else in the house? Refrigerator on the same circuit? Go around and turn on/off all the lights etc. See if that makes a diff.

Can you turn on/off the main circuit breaker(s) in your house and look for interactions?

The intermittent is DEFINITELY a clue, the longer cords etc might just have made it more noticeable etc.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
PeeGee

Default noise

I've had everything turned off but still get the noise.

I'll try the breakers next.

thanx

Pg