Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
sound warrior
Human being with feelings

Default playing midi how to? please help!!!

hi all, for thoughs of you who don't know me i'm trey from the uk and i'm totally blind.

i'm playing a creamware ASB pro12 in to reaper with a midi controller and recording the midi from the controller in to reaper.

my problem is this, the midi records to the track just fine however i'm unable to send the midi back to the synth to play the synth with the midi i recorded.

when i press play i can not here the synth at all I've tried turning on record monitoring.

please can some one explain to me what i need to do in order to here the midi I've recorded play thru my synth?

your help with this problem would be most welcome! kind regards trey.
sound warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
DarkStar

Enable the synth in Preferences / Audio / MIDI Devices as a MIDI Output.

On the track, click the [io] button and in the 'MIDI Hardware Output' select the synth, and select the channel forcing if needed.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
sound warrior

what's the icon you mentioned called? and the controller i'm using to play the synth is enabled in prefs the synth is a hardware one and is not connected to the computer via midi only the controller is connected to the computer. kind regards trey.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
DarkStar

As for the output signal path, it must go from Reaper to the MIDI controller then to the synth? WHat name the synth device has in Reaper's Preferences will depend on the names assigned by the MIDi controller (which one are you using, by the way?).

Please post pix of the MIDI Preferences window.

(in Post #3) How to describe your hardware set-up
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
sound warrior

i'm blind so picks are not possible.

the hardware synth is a creamware ASB pro12 and is not connected to the computer the controller is a KMI qunexus and is connected to the computer via usb kind regards trey.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
pryere

All I can think of is,toggle the record arm button?
Hope this helps.
pryere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
sound warrior

well strangely enough it will play when the interface is connected to the synth but not when the controller is connected to the synth kind regards trey.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
hopi

howdy trey.... sorry but gotta laugh at the help in pictures... I hope you find it funny also....

so hey, basically you need a few things:

you need midi input from the synth to a track... which I believe you have working OK.

Then you need that midi data to back out to the synth... I 'think' you have that now, but if not tell us.

Then you MUST have the audio output from the synth going into your audio card's input. And that input will become another track in reaper set to record audio using whatever input on your audio card you have the synth's audio output plugged into. If the synth outputs audio with a left and right channel, then you will likely need to have each of those going into an input on your audio card. Such as inputs 1 and 2.
Then the audio track in reaper will use both those as it's inputs and you should get a stereo wav on that track.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 AM   #9
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
i'm blind so picks are not possible.
I'm sorry, I did not know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
the hardware synth is a creamware ASB pro12 and is not connected to the computer the controller is a KMI qunexus and is connected to the computer via usb kind regards trey.
I may be misunderstanding completely, but ...

Let's go back a bit. Your KMI Qunexus MIDI controller is connected by USB to your computer and is seen as a MIDI Input device by Reaper. You can play it and record the MIDI in Reaper. So far, so good.

Question - have you got the Qunexus connected to your computer AND to the Creamware ASB pro12? If so, how exactly? That may be the issue.

Now we need to get the MIDI out of Reaper back to the Creamware ASB pro12 synth. I see that the Qunexus can receive MIDI from the computer (Reaper) so this might be the solution:
-- in Reaper's Preferences, enable the Qunexus as a MIDI output device (i do not know which port to use)
-- on the track, open the Track Routing window (by clicking the [IO] button I mentioned earlier) and select the Qunexus,
-- on the Qunexus, route the MIDI coming form the computer to the Creamware synth,
-- on the Qunexus, set it up so that it only send incoming MIDI to the Creamware, not any MIDI from playing its keyboard (otherwise you'll hear things twice.

I do not know how/ if that can be done on the Qunexus.

---------------------------
Alternatively, you might consider connecting the Creamware synth directly to your computer using a different USB port, enabling it as a MIDI Output in the Preferences and selecting it in the track's track Routing window. That will be simpler -would that set-up work for you?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
sound warrior

thanks for all your help so far guys.

the qunexus is connected up to a imi midi expander that is plugged in to the creamware as pro12.

when i record the midi with the qunexus on a track then move the midi cable from the output of the midi expander to the output of my audio midi interface it plays the midi to the synth no problem i hope this helps you all to get a better idea of what's going on kind regards trey.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
DarkStar

... getting there .

Ok, it's good to know that by juggling the cables around you can get the Creamware to play the MIDI from Reaper. Now it's just a matter of figuring out the right (permanent) connections.

So the MIDI paths are, on playing:
a) Qunexus keyboard to Computer / Reaper using USB,
b) Qunexus keyboard to the KMI MIDI Expander to Creamware .

If so, then, yes the MIDI to going to two places - to Reaper where it is recorded AND to the Creamware where the audio is generated.

And the paths on playback, after you have swapped over the cable are:
a) Qunexus keyboard to Computer / Reaper using USB,
b) Qunexus keyboard to the KMI MIDI Expander but NOT to Creamware
c) Computer/Reaper to audio/MIDI interface to Creamware?

Have I got that right? I did not see an audio/MIDI interface mentioned before. Which one it it?

---------------------------
I think, that, if you leave it with the cable going from the audio/MIDI interface to the Creamware, then Reaper will still record the MIDI and can send it out of the computer to the audio/MIDI interface then to the Creamware.

The only drawback might be latency. Because, with this set-up, the signal path is
  • Qunexus keyboard > Computer/Reaper on USB,
  • MIDI recorded in Reaper,
  • MIDI from Computer/Reaper > Audio/MIDI interface,
  • Audio/MIDI interface to Creamware.

There may well be a better connection solution described in the Qunexus manual, but I do ont fully understand how the ports are used.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
DarkStar

Ah ha - I think I may have found it.

Paragraph 2.2.2 in the Qunexus User Manual describes the connections needed:
-- computer to Qunexus by USB,
-- Qunexus to MIDI Expander,
-- MIDI Expander to MIDI device (your Creamware)

Pic below (for other readers):

And 2.2.1 says "QuNexus has 3 virtual MIDI ports that communicate with the computer. Port 1 is the main port on which the QuNexus sends and receives MIDI data to and from the computer or iPad. Port 2 and 3 can be used for this purpose as well but are also used for communication with other
devices. Port 2 is used for the KMI MIDI Expander (sold separately) and Port 3 is used for CV."

That could be the key -- in Reaper's Preferences, enable the Qunexus Port 2 as a MIDI Output Device and select that device in the track's Track Routing window.

Last edited by DarkStar; 04-01-2015 at 10:12 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
keyman_sam

Trey - if this doesn't work, maybe you can PM one of us (I can help) and set up a remote desktop session and set it up? Let us know, if that's not too much of a hassle. Once this works you can just save it as a track preset and won't have to bother with it.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #14
DarkStar

... any news?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
sound warrior

hi dark star and all sorry for the long absence from this thread but I've got back in to trying to sort this problem agane.

so question for dark star would the below set up work?

1. connect the qunexus to the ASB pro12 via the hardware expander

2. set up a midi track in reaper and by rite clicking the record arm button set the midi output to be qunexes grater all channels.

3. open the rooting window of the same midi track and set the hardware midi output to be qunexus midi port 2.

will the above set up work? any thing I've missed out?

i can't do screen shots cause i'm blind but i can upload my project for people to take a look at if they want.

thanks for all your help so far kind regards trey.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:25 AM   #16
DarkStar

No problem.

Yes, I think that that would do it:
-- connect your computer to Qunexus by USB,
-- connect the Qunexus to the MIDI Expander,
-- connect the MIDI Expander to the MIDI device (your Creamware ASB Pro 12).

Then in Reaper:
-- in the Preferences, enable the Qunexus Port 1 as a MIDI Input Device,
-- in the Preferences, enable the Qunexus Port 2 as a MIDI Output Device,
-- create a track, right-click RecArm and select Qunexus Port 1 as the MIDI Input device, sand select 'All channels' for the moment,
-- click RecArm to enable it,
-- right-click RecArm and enable 'Monitor Input' (the first line in the context menu),
-- click the [io] button and select the Qunexus Port 2 as the MIDI hardware output. (I cannot see any menu that lets you do that so you may need to get someone's help for that.)

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior
i'm totally blind.
My 2 cent:

I have been told that blind people often develop exceptionally advanced auditive abilities.

So they are perfectly enabled to be e.g. audio engineers and e.g. work with a DAW.

Now Reaper seems to be a perfect DAW for this purpose, not because it "out of the box" is especially well usable for blind people, but because it provides a lot of APIs that allow for programming and remote-controlling it's behavior.

So it would be great if somebody would provide hardware and software for an especially designed tactile controller (featuring e.g. prominent buttons, motor-faders and tactile elements to "visualize" states).

I suppose that Reaper can be rather easily be enhanced to adhere to such a device.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-24-2015 at 11:30 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #18
sound warrior

hi dark star I've set up the reaper project and connected the qunexus to the ASB pro12 as you disscribed but still no luck a link to my project is below please could you take a look at it for me? link below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ing%20test.zip

your help with this matter would be most welcome kind regards trey.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #19
DarkStar

It's got two tracks, one with a MIDI input and MIDI hardware Output, the other with an audio input (and output via the master track), both RecArmed and with Input Monitoring enabled.

But I'm not sure that any MIDI Input device was selected for the MIDI track.

Can you check that the appropriate Qunexus devices is enabled for Input in Reaper's Preferences? And that the Qunexus (Port 1) was selected as the MIDI Input device for that track?

------------------------------
Also, let's try something-else. Remove the MIDI output from the MIDI track, insert ReaSynth, turn down the track volume. Play a few keys on your Qunexus and you should hear some sound. Let us know.

------------------------------
Let me ask a very blunt question so that we can help you better; I certainly do not wish to offend you. Can you let us know how you tell where you are in Reaper, what button you are clicking etc, which bits you can use and which you are difficult?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
It's got two tracks, one with a MIDI input and MIDI hardware Output, the other with an audio input (and output via the master track), both RecArmed and with Input Monitoring enabled.
Hi DS, I just DLed the rpp file and see Trey has actually got the Recored: output (MIDI) selected on Track 1, not the MIDI hardware Output.

Just thought I'd mention that, I don't think there's any reason to have the track setup for Recored: output (MIDI).
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:44 AM   #21
DarkStar

You're right - I did not notice that. Best to change it back to "Record input (audio or MIDI)".

I am starting to think that the missing link is the routing of the track out to the Quenexus Port 2, using the [io] button. As far as I know there is no menu choice for that, so sound warrior may need to get someone to help him with setting that.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
sound warrior

ok to the person who asked how i'm using reaper the answer is with a solution called reaaccess and a screen reeder one such screen reeder is NVDA.

in regards to using the qunexus with software only i can confirm it works with software instruments just fine i was using it with rea samplormatic earlier on.

i set up the track with qunexus port 2 as midi hardware output but still no joy i might try rite clicking the context menu and setting the output to qunexus port2 all channels.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #23
DarkStar

^^^^
Your use of Samplomatic confirms that the MIDI is getting into Reaper successfully.

And routing the track's MIDI hardware output to Qunexus Port 2 should do it. As long as the Quenxus is connected to the MIDI Expander and the MIDI Expander to your Creamware ASB Pro 12.

Good luck.