Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
edkilp
Human being with feelings

Default Why Is Video So Damn Complicated??

I'm not referring to Reaper. I'm talking in general. I uncovered a DVD of my band from 20 years ago. It plays fine on my computer, but of course it's one long monstrosity. All I wanna do is get it into my computer, chop it up into individual songs, maybe enhance the audio a bit, and create several separate video clips. How in the hell does one do this?
It's .VOB files, and TS, and IFO, and I don't know what any of that is. I do have an old version of Adobe Premiere Elements 8 that a friend gave me a long time ago. I installed and registered it today, then waited while my computer went through the process of importing all this stuff, only to then have to go and register some conversion plugin and get an activation code. After that, it did import, but almost everything is in some kind of split-screen, and it's mostly green.
I sit and watch Premiere load all my VST plugins, but I see no way to get to the audio for editing.
Is Premiere overkill for the simplistic tasks I want to accomplish? I never really was a video guy, and this just affirms my desire to not be. So many formats, avi, divx, mpeg 2, 3, 4, mp4, wmv, mov, jeesh. Is there a simple and viable program for Windows that can just extract a VOB file from a DVD and let me edit it into individual video clips? I'm gettin frustrated with the whole mess! Thanks!
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas

the IFO is actually what has the chapters, etc...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
edkilp

Ok that narrows it a bit. The vob files are the big ones. So I assume these are where the actual content is.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

yes, that works
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
planetnine

gordian knot ==> AVI?

I'm sure it uses VOB files as its input.

>
Old 04-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
gordian knot ==> AVI?

I'm sure it uses VOB files as its input.

>
Trying this right now. I'm somewhat of a geek, but wow this is really geeky! I downloaded the GordianKnot exe, but then had to go get DVDDecrypter, put a DGDecode.dll into my AviSynth folder, yada yada yada! It is unreal how needlessly difficult this process is.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
edkilp

I found a little freebie called Convert VOB to AVI. I have it converting these to wmv files right now. Maybe I can make something happen here. My hat is indeed off to these video guys. This is very tedious, and I really don't think I have the patience for it!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
chucky5p

You guys are overly complicating things for nothing. Many video softwares like Sony Vegas can read/edit VOB files "directly" (without any conversion) by simply renaming the .VOB files to .MPG (or to .MP4) See this YouTube page (and read the comments):

For Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfaLgxc41E

That trick on Premiere Pro is a bit more problematic, read this:

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FA..._edit_a_DVD%3F

BTW, the same trick applies to other weird video formats such as .VRO files(video recorder files)

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #9
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I'm not referring to Reaper. I'm talking in general. I uncovered a DVD of my band from 20 years ago. It plays fine on my computer, but of course it's one long monstrosity. All I wanna do is get it into my computer, chop it up into individual songs, maybe enhance the audio a bit, and create several separate video clips. How in the hell does one do this?
It's .VOB files, and TS, and IFO, and I don't know what any of that is. I do have an old version of Adobe Premiere Elements 8 that a friend gave me a long time ago. I installed and registered it today, then waited while my computer went through the process of importing all this stuff, only to then have to go and register some conversion plugin and get an activation code. After that, it did import, but almost everything is in some kind of split-screen, and it's mostly green.
I sit and watch Premiere load all my VST plugins, but I see no way to get to the audio for editing.
Is Premiere overkill for the simplistic tasks I want to accomplish? I never really was a video guy, and this just affirms my desire to not be. So many formats, avi, divx, mpeg 2, 3, 4, mp4, wmv, mov, jeesh. Is there a simple and viable program for Windows that can just extract a VOB file from a DVD and let me edit it into individual video clips? I'm gettin frustrated with the whole mess! Thanks!
If you wanna rip the content of a (non-copy-protected) DVD to your PC and edit the video/audio (all of this without any re-encoding, thus without any quality loss and within only a few minutes time) you can do this without unsing commercial software at all. You just need a few free tools like VOBEdit, IFOEdit, PVAStrumento and Cuttermaran. I wrote a manual more than 10 years ago (then trying to get DVB satellite video recordings on my hard drive edited and burnt to DVD).

You can download the manual here: http://audioworld.de/DVB_to_DVD_guide.pdf

The manual was last updated in 2005 but the conversion process is still the same and I have all the tools needed (all very small freeware programs, mostly one small .exe file) in case you have difficulties in finding them.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:24 AM   #10
David Else

Yes, it's very complex, but don't worry! The 2 main tools I use to rip (copy from, sometimes with protection removal if needed) a DVD are:

https://handbrake.fr/
http://www.makemkv.com/

Handbrake is 100% free, MakeMKV is free to use the DVD ripping feature.

They will both take your DVD and create one either .mp4 or .mkv file that contains your entire DVD. From there you can edit it in anything that supports the video codec and container...

WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT!?

The container is the actual file type, ie .mkv or .mp4. It is just an empty container, many different types of file can live in them!

If you rip your DVD to .mkv with Handbrake you can leave it all at default and it will compress it in high quality. If you use MakeMKV it will NOT convert the original video, it will just bring all the files together and stick it inside a .mkv container. There will be no quality loss, it will remain MPEG2 (the original video codec) inside a .mkv file (the container)

Hope that helps
Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
I'm not referring to Reaper. I'm talking in general. I uncovered a DVD [...] I'm gettin frustrated with the whole mess! Thanks!
Oh, DVD... that format was created with a strong focus on DRM, so they tried to make it as hard as possible for you to use "as you wish". I'd say your frustration has to do with DRM and similar copyright policies, not with video in general.

PS: perhaps get a DeCCS tattoo to wear your frustration with pride.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Oh, DVD... that format was created with a strong focus on DRM, so they tried to make it as hard as possible for you to use "as you wish". I'd say your frustration has to do with DRM and similar copyright policies, not with video in general.

PS: perhaps get a DeCCS tattoo to wear your frustration with pride.
Certainly shouldn't be any copyright policy on a video that that was taken from a camcorder by a friend and then burned to a DVD. Right? This was 1996. I'll try these other tools mentioned here. I did try to rename the VOB files as suggested earlier. It worked to a degree, but the message I then got was that there was no usable audio in the files? I dunno.

I gotta get out of this house today, and I have a gig tonight, so maybe I'll give myself a break until tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Certainly shouldn't be any copyright policy on a video that that was taken from a camcorder by a friend and then burned to a DVD. Right?
There shouldn't be any DRM on any storage media, period. Btw, many countries also have a copyright policy for levies on blank media such as recordable DVDs (and/or on devices for DVD) to compensate holders of copyrights for (legal) 'home copying' - so you may be paying a kind of 'tax' on DVDs due to copyright policies even though you're recording your own material.

And no, there shouldn't be any encryption on that DVD - I didn't mean to suggest that; my point was that the creators of those formats were more interested in creating additional hurdles and obfuscation to benefit the publishing industry than in making it easy to use for the average user.
Quote:
This was 1996.
Those were the days!
Quote:
I gotta get out of this house today, and I have a gig tonight, so maybe I'll give myself a break until tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
Sure, take a break, and enjoy your gig tonight!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
fixerdave

Hi there, download and try "anyvideoconverter". I use it regualy to convert .cdg karaoke graphic files to .avi for playing in Reaper along with the original wav or mp3 music, it does loads of formats in and out. Dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote