Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
rluka
Human being with feelings

Default Bass: recording direct or amplified?

Two reasons for this post:

(1) I recorded the bass (minus one track) on this childrens album that got a nice review: http://www.parents-choice.org/produc...thash.nQIBE5ii Parents' Choice Award Winner for spring 2015
All the tracks were recorded in a pro studio ( http://www.dalebaglobroadcast.com/ ) but I did redo the bass line on the second track in my home studio using REAPER. The bass was recorded direct at my place and the studio to keep the sound consistent.

(2) I noticed that there are quite a few bassists here and was wondering what you do when you record?

Do you go direct or amplified?

Does you technique change when you record direct as opposed to playing through an amp?

Ron L

Last edited by rluka; 04-24-2015 at 03:35 PM.
rluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
endorka

Always direct these days - Fender precision clone or jazz bass. Spice up with an amp sim if necessary.

Quick, clean, easy to overdub and has worked every time for me.

Jennifer
Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
richie43

When I can, I actually capture both. Best of all options. They make a great blend if you capture both well. If I have to choose (which is rare), take the DI.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Jeffsounds

Always through a pre and into the sound card. No amp but MAYBE using a amp sim at times but not very often.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Kenny Gioia

If you have the amp, use it.

But lately I just mult the direct box with a SanSamp for distortion and the SoftTube Bass Amp plugin.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
When I can, I actually capture both. Best of all options. They make a great blend if you capture both well.
Good advice. For me there is no "one size fits all" solution to this question. If you keep options open, you can blend (as ritchie suggests) or just select whichever you prefer with the benefit of hindsight.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #7
foxAsteria

always record direct as a backup (at least). amps are far less easy to record than cables (esp. with bass!)
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #8
endorka

A different answer from every player, and I bet they all sound good. Bass players rock \m/ :-)

Jennifer
Old 04-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #9
joelsampson

Both, why not?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
ivansc

Mostly direct - been a long time since I had a bass amp that I thought improved the actual sound of my Precision straight in.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 AM   #11
G-Sun

Old answer: Both
New answer: Direct with optional amp sim.

Personally I don't have a real bass-amp with compressor,
or a room good enough for low-end stuff.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #12
mhuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
...or a room good enough for low-end stuff.
+1 - Note that when going direct I believe a good high-Z input /preamp for the bass is critical.
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #13
13lues

The TC Electronic bass amps let you record DI pre or post processing, which is nice.
Even with that ability I find myself going DI without the amp and running the bass through an amp sim more often than not. I like the bass amp in the free version of Amplitube pretty well, but I'll have to try the others mentioned earlier in this thread.
I get good results and don't have to lug the amp upstairs.
13lues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
Studiodawg

"The other answer" is to record direct, mic the amp and throw a mic in front of your plucking hand to get a little snap, sizzle and pop.
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
Fergler

I like the clarity of a DI but some styles really call for the compressed, air-moving-diaphragm sound. Try getting this tone DI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZaR2RkYhg
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #16
SaulT

I love the sound of a fat bass amp... but the bass guitar is probably the instrument that benefits the most by recording direct. Hey, if you have the ability and space to set up an amp in a place where the noise won't bother the neighbors or the missus and it will sound good, etc then my hat's off to you. If you don't, then you lose nothing because it will still sound good direct... and can always be re-amped or amp-simmed with no loss of fidelity.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
I love the sound of a fat bass amp...
I love running one thru a fat tube pre. I have an UA 4-710D which also has a 1176 style compressor on each channel. Since getting that it pretty much is my bass amp for recording because it is nice and brown and fat and puffy.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
it is nice and brown and fat and puffy.
Now I'm hungry.....

I go into a mxr dynacomp to my amp and then to the interface thru the xlr. So direct in a roundabout way... I add some distortion many times, between the comp and amp with a Highway 77, or in Reaper with a plugin. It seems to add some more energy in the higher freq.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #19
The Buddha Rats

Always direct, with a blend of two other (duplicated) tracks. One gets a little faux tube warmth/grit, and the other has an amp sim on it.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
rluka

Wow..lots of different combinations

I use both also.

I started playing bass in 1960 and I have to deal with some muscular issues when I play so I prefer using an amp. I can rely on the speaker to give a bit more clarity and punch and use a lighter touch on the strings.

Have a great day
Ron L
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #21
Ras Keita

I'm lucky enough to have an early 70's Ampeg B-15N, I also have the SB-12 cabinet. I always record using a combination of one or the other cabinets miked with AKG D112 or EV RE20. Then have second track running through a Radial JDI, Bassbone OD or Line 6 Bass POD xt Pro I also love IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX.
Ras Keita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #22
Panic

Record the bassline with a guitar, then use melodyne to convert the audio to midi and feed Trilian.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
Ras Keita

Forgot to mention I also have a Ampeg BA600 Combo Amp, that has XLR & 1/4 direct outputs, that I use for some projects
Ras Keita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #24
foxAsteria

Sansamp Bass Driver definitely deserves a mention here. great piece of gear.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #25
Magicbuss

Having both is nice and sometimes a bass player will insist on a mic. Of course you will need to compensate for the lag between mic signal and DI by moving the DI signal back a few MS on the timeline.

Personally I like going direct only and then "reamping" by cloning the DI track and inserting Softube Bass Amp Room. Easy peasy and it sounds great.

I also like using a sansamp to record a clean DI and a Dirty DI track simultaneously. I often use a clean/dirty blend for rock bass. You can get away ton of dirt in the mix before its actually audible as distortion and it really helps the bass pop through.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 04-24-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
endorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Keita View Post
I'm lucky enough to have an early 70's Ampeg B-15N, I also have the SB-12 cabinet. I always record using a combination of one or the other cabinets miked with AKG D112 or EV RE20. Then have second track running through a Radial JDI, Bassbone OD or Line 6 Bass POD xt Pro I also love IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX.
I really like the IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX as well, and use it a lot.

How does it compare to the real thing?

Jennifer
Old 04-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #27
prezbass

A topic near and dear to my heart!!! If I may, as a busy session bassist and an equally busy engineer-

It depends.

Not as much on the amp or player (although, that does really matter) but for the tune, mainly. Over the years, I've discovered that there are styles that really seem to be better suited for an amp and others that are not so much so. If I'm doing a "vintage rock" or country tune, I find an amp works really well. Pretty much all others I go direct.

There are a TON of exceptions to this, however. I will say that if I'm the player on a session, I always bring my amp (customized Mark Bass Tube 800 and a Schroeder 1x12) but I never insist on using it. I might suggest it, however.

Then again, let's talk about amps. The bigger the cab, the harder it is to control in a mix. And, believe me- I've either recorded with or played everything there is to play from Ampeg 8x10's to single 10's and everything in between, and I've found that after talking to engineers afterwards, the bigger cabs require a lot more in the way of compression to get them to sit "right". That's why I settled on the 1x12. It's far easier to make something sound "bigger" on a recording than it is to make things "smaller" (that is, to fit in correctly) because to fit it in, you're probably gonna lose some of the tone and glow to do it.

Then, there's the player. To use an amp effectively when recording, the player needs to really know how to use the amp to achieve the sound. Sad to say, most players don't get that- they'll scoop out all the mids in order to create something that sounds good to their ears, but really that hides a multitude of sins where your technique is concerned, and mids are the bass players best friend. (Especially when playing fretless, which I do A LOT.)

As far as plugins go, I really haven't found one that sounds or responds truly like an amp would. The Amplitube SVX and Mark Bass Studio plugins are pretty good, but neither of them really capture the vibe and the speakers "glow" well. I've tried them all, too, and I feel my tone is better either using my Mark Bass as a preamp (which it does VERY well) or just miking my cab with the mikes I bring with me to studios, a Sennheiser 421 and an Audix D6.

So, it really boils down to what you're looking for in a tune. For me, an amp provides a lot of "vibe" when playing, especially if you are tracking live with a drummer. If vibe is what you seek, then by all means go for it. If there's rough spots in your technique that you are trying to hide by using an amp, you're much better off getting that technique under control before you try recording with an amp.

And, if you're on the Reaper boards, why not just do both and then pick what you want?
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #28
teledork

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
Always direct, with a blend of two other (duplicated) tracks. One gets a little faux tube warmth/grit, and the other has an amp sim on it.
Now *this* is something I'm gonna have to try here soon.

I'm usually just direct in. I have an abiding love of Ignite Amps SHB-1 bass amp sim and some killer cab IR stuff I picked up a few years back.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
I really like the IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX as well, and use it a lot.

How does it compare to the real thing?

Jennifer
I like the IK SVX too, but much prefer it with the cab bypassed and using RedWirez SVT cab impulses instead.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #30
Lokasenna

If you have a good setup for an amped recording, by all means use it, but you should record a direct signal as well. Even if you just use it for gating and editing, it will almost always come in handy.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #31
jerome_oneil

DI almost always. Bass is like mud. It gets everywhere if you don't keep it out of the house.

If I really, really, really gotta have that super special amp tone, I'll re-run the signal back through the amp later and record it all by it's lonesome.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #32
Robus

Always direct from my GK head through a compressor to the A/D. I wouldn't mind micing up the amp if I had a place to record where the walls don't rattle.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:18 AM   #33
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
DI almost always. Bass is like mud. It gets everywhere if you don't keep it out of the house.

If I really, really, really gotta have that super special amp tone, I'll re-run the signal back through the amp later and record it all by it's lonesome.
This is a damn good idea. I was actually thinking of how to record my band in just one single room.
We have a fairly good sounding rehearsal room, but signal isolation is still a question.
My bass-player didn´t like the idea of just using a D.I.-signal and sculp his sound in the DAW.
But recording the drums and bass at a time, while just using D.I. and then reamp it alone is something I definitely have to try.
Thank´s for that good idea !!!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:30 AM   #34
serstickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Amen!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #35
Reno.thestraws

While recording, DI + amp

Put the bass player in the same room than the amp. Bass Players plays a lot better when amplified (feeling the Sound is very important for controlling the notes)

After recording, remive the amp track, keep only the DI.

If necessary,Édit the DI as much as needed, and if you're producing heavy or dense arrangement, don't hesitate to pitch correct the DI with melodyne or any pitch correcter (Bass are never 100% in tune and well intoned) to get every note as tune as possible.

After edit, put the amp in the biggest room possible or even outside if You Can, refeed the amp with the DI track and rerecord the amp with any mic you want.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #36
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
If necessary,Édit the DI as much as needed, and if you're producing heavy or dense arrangement, don't hesitate to pitch correct the DI with melodyne or any pitch correcter (Bass are never 100% in tune and well intoned) to get every note as tune as possible.
Tuning stringed instruments is a matter of taste. I personally don't like the sound of bass guitar tuned to an electric tuner.

How clever is melodyne? Can it separate overtones from the fundamental?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretched_tuning
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #37
Runaway

Usually DI through a Radial J48 then into a Neve 1073 EQ & Pre.
If the budget allows or I really feel its needed I'll re-amp into a Gallien-Krueger mic'ed with usually an EV RE20. If I can't get a decent sound using one or the other or a combination of both then there's a problem.

Yet to find a decent Bass Amp sim that comes close to the real thing.

YMMV
Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #38
markb

Hello everyone! New member here and first post. Been using Reaper for several months now and here's what I use when recording bass:

Bass into TC Electronic Polytune → Pigtronix Philosopher Compressor → MXR M80 Bass DI

Here the signal is split

1. MXR M80 direct out (receiving some color from the EQ section) → Channel on mixing console

2. MXR M80 parallel out (clean signal) → alternate signal path that will not necessarily go through what's pictured. Lately I've been running this signal path through a Carvin BX250 micro head using the onboard drive and compression to get some grit on the tone. Other things can be used though; mic'd amp/cab, another preamp, effect, etc. This path then goes into another channel on the mixing board where I can mix the two signals to get the desired bass tone for the recording.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signal path 2.jpg (30.2 KB, 201 views)
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #39
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
This is a damn good idea. I was actually thinking of how to record my band in just one single room.
We have a fairly good sounding rehearsal room, but signal isolation is still a question.
My bass-player didn´t like the idea of just using a D.I.-signal and sculp his sound in the DAW.
But recording the drums and bass at a time, while just using D.I. and then reamp it alone is something I definitely have to try.
Thank´s for that good idea !!!
Happy to help. It was a bit of a Eureka moment for me when I first saw it. One of those "Why didn't I think of that!" kind of things.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #40
wildschwein

I'm a fan of getting both and blending them.
wildschwein is offline   Reply With Quote