COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Brennan
hey man

Default New game sneak peek: Chess 960!

What the?! Yep, randomized Chess is coming to wifight! 960 refers to the total number of possible back row configurations wherein it is still possible to castle. I'm actually still in the middle of figuring out if/how I will code the castling but I just had to share what I had so far.

Now, one of the 960 positions is the normal starting position, which might not really give the variety you're looking for, so I'm also planning on making Chess 959, which is pretty much exactly the same but just guarantees the normal position will never come up.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Analogy
Human being with feelings

Chess960 would be more interesting to me if instead of the starting position being randomly chosen, each player chose their own starting position in a double blind manner... this might possibly result in a lot of people picking "standard" chess anyway, but if just one person picks a nonstandard position, all opening theory goes out the window.

This might also result in a great element of metagame... what are the known "strong" and "weak" positions, how good are different positions against each other, what is your opponent likely to choose, etc.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
trgeoff

Great Brennan, Bobby Lives!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Brennan
hey man

That could be pretty neat, Analogy... kind of like Stratego?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
Analogy

Kind of, only with complete information for both players. By "double blind" selection, I mean each player writes down the starting position they are choosing for their own side and they reveal their choices to each other simultaneously.

A combination of this with Dark Chess, however, raises extremely interesting possibilities in my mind... Of course, the inevitable end point of this line of thinking is pretty much just Starcraft.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Brennan
hey man

OK I see, yeah. That'd be neat. I hear you on ChessCraft, too