Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default From "regular" Reaper install to portable install ?

Dear Reapers,

I use Reaper on 2 mac computers.
I am trying to keep the 2 configurations the very same but i am really starting to mess up things lately, mainly , the Action List for both configs isn't by far the same anymore.

So was wondering:
How can i "transfer" 1 config to a Reaper Portable install without loosing that config (including all scripts and actions).
Then i could use that portable install on my second mac and i don't have this ugly mess anymore i hope.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Dear Reapers,

I am trying to keep the 2 configurations the very same but i am really starting to mess up things lately, mainly , the Action List for both configs isn't by far the same anymore.

So was wondering:
How can i "transfer" 1 config to a Reaper Portable install without loosing that config (including all scripts and actions).
Then i could use that portable install on my second mac and i don't have this ugly mess anymore i hope.
Can you not export/import the config or am I misreading?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
vanhaze

Thx for your help.
You're not misreading.

I tried your suggestion but isn't really a solution for me ; it still led me to very 2 different Action Lists for the 2 Reaper configs on my 2 macs.
Complete with double Actions, really a mess
Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Dear Reapers,

So was wondering:
  1. Create a folder called "Reaper Portable" anywhere.
  2. Put a REAPER64.app in there
  3. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER, copy the contents of that to your "Reaper Portable" folder.
  4. Done.

Now when you run Reaper Portable/REAPER64.app, it will use the settings in that folder and not your user based settings... sometimes.

You may need to go to your 'normal' Reaper install and export your preferences, then import them to your "Reaper Portable". It depends on how your stuff is setup and what you've done.

See Kenny's video https://youtu.be/PlsLEc5cvEM?t=418
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
vanhaze

Many thanks for your help, i am gonna try that !
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
serr

The flag for 'portable install mode' in Reaper is seeing the Reaper.ini file (usually stored in the separate resource folder) in the same folder as Reaper.app. Reaper checks for it in the same folder as the app at launch.

So move all the contents of the resource folder as mentioned including the .ini file to a new folder along with the .app file.

That's all the portable install option does on the installer. No need to reinstall or ever use the installer to make a portable install.

As also mentioned, you can save multiple configurations. This is actually pretty user friendly and works with no bs.

Plugins are installed to your OS, NOT any specific DAW app!
So if you wanted to include a plugin subset with the portable install, you would need to move them to the portable install folder (including any library resources some may have) and then point Reaper to this location.
This could get messy... I'd only go there if I really had to.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
EpicSounds

I showed it in this video
Desktop normal config to laptop portable. And what you lose in the process.

https://youtu.be/VjuS1bpT16c

Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #8
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The flag for 'portable install mode' in Reaper is seeing the Reaper.ini file (usually stored in the separate resource folder) in the same folder as Reaper.app. Reaper checks for it in the same folder as the app at launch.

So move all the contents of the resource folder as mentioned including the .ini file to a new folder along with the .app file.

So i exactly did this and now the mess is complete
- I started Reaper,(from within the Reaper portable folder i made, in Applications folder), afterwards and it began to scan all my plugins again (?)
- After the scan, all was defaulted again: i lost all my custom keycommands and scripts, screensets etc etc and all Reapack stuff was gone.
Strangely enough, it again created stuff in user/application support/Reaper.
So now i have double things in this folder and my Reaper portable install folder, which is in Applications.
Even the reaper.ini file is doubled up in these 2 folders.

OMG

Cause all my original Reaper stuff is now in my Reaper portable folder, you would say that all this can somehow be retrieved , nah ?
But how ...

Last edited by vanhaze; 04-15-2017 at 12:07 AM.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
So i exactly did this and now the mess is complete
- I started Reaper,(from within the Reaper portable folder i made, in Applications folder), afterwards and it began to scan all my plugins again (?)
- After the scan, all was defaulted again: i lost all my custom keycommands and scripts, screensets etc etc and all Reapack stuff was gone.
Strangely enough, it again created stuff in user/application support/Reaper.
So now i have double things in this folder and my Reaper portable install folder, which is in Applications.
Even the reaper.ini file is doubled up in these 2 folders.

OMG

Cause all my original Reaper stuff is now in my Reaper portable folder, you would say that all this can somehow be retrieved , nah ?
But how ...
Sorry...

I believe my mistake was telling you to use the old Reaper.ini file. The install procedure is actually to make a new blank one.

Using the old one must keep the file paths stored in it. I suspect what happened was Reaper saw the path to the old resource folder. You had moved your stuff so you ended up with the default install in the old resource folder. Your stuff is being ignored in the new folder.

Sorry!

Roll back. (From a backup or however convenient.)

Make the new folder.
Make a new blank text file named Reaper.ini (that means change .txt to .ini when saving) in the new folder.
Put Reaper.app in there.

Launch Reaper

It will scan the OSX Library for plugins. This part is correct. Plugins are installed to your OS, not any specific app.

Now copy your resource folder stuff into the new Reaper install folder. Everything except the old Reaper.ini file!

FYI: One caveat of multiple installs is you must either launch the Reaper version of your choice and then open a project (vs. double-clicking the project file) or right-click a project file and 'open with' the version you want. Otherwise there will be some confusion as to which install of Reaper opens.

Use the portable install method when you want multiple installs of Reaper if you need different builds for different projects or for testing new builds. Use the import/export config feature to transfer between multiple machines if the end goal is only to have a single install.

Last edited by serr; 04-15-2017 at 09:37 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
vanhaze

Many thanks for your great help Serr, really appreciate it !

I am gonna do what you suggested.
One thing i don't understand is this:

(i use Reaper 64bit version)

If i would move the file reaper-vstplugins64.ini from old location to my new Reaper portable folder, why would Reaper still re-scan all my plugins again, when it actually could "read" what plugins are installed, from this file ?

I have hundreds of plugins, many are authorized on ilok, which makes the re-scan process very tedious.

Warm Regards.