Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #1
eternoob
Human being with feelings

Default Strange dropouts w/ Omnisphere Win 10

Hi folks!
I recently decided to spend money on one "universal" synth I could then focus on, and so now I'm a (rather happy) owner of Omnisphere 2. At first I installed it on my old Win7 machine where everything went smoothly, but meanwhile I built a new PC running Win10, and strange things are happening...

Imagine a simple Reaper project with one Omni instance fed by a couple of MIDI tracks (let's say about 2-5 patches loaded).
Frequently - but not always - when I move the mouse during playback the sound drops out and then quickly fades (!!) in again after 1-2 seconds. Looking at the Task Manager I find that none of my CPU cores show any noticeable load or spikes when this happens, so I wonder what the heck is causing it. As the PC features SSDs (2 850 EVOs) I don't suspect disk performance to be a problem either. Win10 energy profile is set to "performance" and I switched off C-states in the BIOS.

Has anybody experienced something similar (or otherwise heard of it)?
eternoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 AM   #2
EvilDragon

That's pretty weird. Did you check DPC latency of your system?

(Also, even though you're on "high performance" power plan, try doing a registry hack to disable core parking. Google it )
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
eternoob

Hmm, I'll look into this DPC latency thing...
And I also wasn't aware that core parking is an issue separated from the energy profile. However, after some quick googling I'm getting the message that "core parking cannot be disabled in Windows 10" because it rewrites the appropriate registry entries with each reboot anyway... *sigh*
But I'll google on, maybe I find something more encouraging.
Anyway, thanks for your hints!
eternoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
richie43

I have 2 Windows 10/Reaper systems and was able to permanently disable core parking through the bios. Look into the bios on your specific system.