Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
theredeye
Human being with feelings

Default New rock / blues guitar led song - feedback please!

Hi

"Evil", a newly finished song, all recorded and engineered in Reaper.. which is the best DAW!

https://soundcloud.com/theredeye/evil

I'd really welcome some constructive feedback, on the composition but more so on the mixing. I've not mixed much electric / full band stuff so really would love some extra ears :-)

I'm not after perfection, I prefer warmth and feel than glassy clarity.

Thanks
P
theredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
sammydix

there was a sorta 'in your face' style to your recording that i like quite a bit. the tone on the bass sounds good, but i think it could be pulled ever so slightly forward, same for drums. cool song too. i'd say a really good start to 'full band' type recording.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Wolffman

Cool tune, i really like the way you've layered the guitar parts through the verses, very nice.
As Sammy said, i think the drums could be a bit more forward in the mix, and punch through a bit more.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
kindafishy

Cool tune. Good tones and lots of really cool licks peppered throughout.

I feel like the vocals aren't really sitting right. I wouldn't often say this, but perhaps they are a bit too loud? It might just be the level (then again, it might just be subjective, so please feel free to discard this thought). It also might be that there is a touch too much body there.

I can hear that this song really wants to move and groove, but it's missing a sense of tight, intense energy that follows and emphasizes the natural pulse going on here. I wish I could give more thoughts on this, and I feel that it is in the low end of the song, but I don't quite have a handle on my own low end and my environment lies to me, so perhaps someone more experienced who hears something similar to what I'm hearing (and if anyone agrees, that is) could comment. There's something going on there, but until I get my own house in order, it would be kind of inappropriate to offer advice in that area.

Love the harmonized parts. Awesome. That groove kicks ass.

Really cool tune, man. Nice job.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
pdk

I like the walk up on the minor in the chorus.

I could be wrong:

I think a low-cut filter on the non bass instruments would clean it up and tighten up the low end (guitars and vocals). I think you'll get the drum articulation pevious comments mention.

I'd like to know what kind of guitar you are using. I would use a tele on this (strat second choice). Definitely not a humbucker song. They mix really well and are really articulate.

It's a good song! Everything has it's place and purpose (something I should focus on). Everything counts. I like it.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
theredeye

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I don't have an ideal setup at the moment and I think you are right in terms of bass balance. I'll look at that again. Done the old trick of playing it back on a few different systems but I'm too close to the songs to listen clinically.

The guitar is a Michael Kelly special, lp style, one using single humbucker, and the other using both, through different amp sims. I have other decent guitars to use but this is dropped d and then all half a step down. The mk guitar handle this tuning best.

I'll work on what you have said and update.
Ta
theredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
T N S

When I listen to this track I desire more low tight punch from the kick drum, and I think generally this track dose not have a lot of low end. But I have a feeling if you were to just push some lows on the mix buss the bass guitar will be undesirable. Keep an eye on the sub (30hz-) frequencies make sure they are not getting pushed to much.

I think this track would really benefit from some tasteful mid range distortion. and some careful compression.