Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
Jenny
Human being with feelings

Default Best Reverb For Acoustic Guitar?

I'm just wondering what would be one of the better VST Reverb plugins if you were recording a steel-string acoustic guitar. Right now I'm using 'Anwida Soft DX Reverb Light 2.0' I have a few others but to my ears their sound is thin, hollow and just not very pleasing.

Thanks

J
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
mollvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I'm just wondering what would be one of the better VST Reverb plugins if you were recording a steel-string acoustic guitar. Right now I'm using 'Anwida Soft DX Reverb Light 2.0' I have a few others but to my ears their sound is thin, hollow and just not very pleasing.

Thanks

J
Hi Jenny,
I normally use Breverb2 (www.overloud.com) as my main reverb and I find it very good.
mollvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Jenny

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I will check out the demo on their site. Also I noticed there are many free reverbs around. I guess they are all different and what one person likes another might not.

Thanks

J
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
krevvy

one of the better free ones in my opinion is Ambience
http://www.smartelectronix.com/refer...2003-10-25.zip

also free is the reaverb plugin built into reaper which you can use with impulse resposes there are many good free ir packs online.. a good start for you
http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=4188

as for paid reverbs, I like the lexicon native set.
krevvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
camerondye

For your solo guitar stuff a natural reverb will generally do the job better and for a free one you should probably use a convolution reverb with some good Impulse Responses will give you the most natural sound. Give an example of a song you like that has the reverb you want and you might get a more focused answer too.

Reverberate LE is the convolution reverb I used that was free.

Last edited by camerondye; 02-08-2014 at 11:46 AM.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Jenny

Thanks krevvy and camerondye I'm checking them out now.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Wolffman

For free ones try these. ( all algo type verbs )

I've found Tila 2 & Abstract chamber from signaldust to be nice reverbs on acoustic guitar especially Tila 2, its a nice room verb that just seems right on ac guitar.

Also MVerb from Martin Eastwood and a nice plate verb is PoorPlate from Vacuumsound.

I'd be happy doing most singer song writer, ac guitar and vocal style songs with these.

hth's

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
bluzkat

Check out the demos for ValhallaDSP's "Vintage Verb" and "Room" (and the others if you want )

http://www.valhalladsp.com/

Not free, but inexpensive and great sounding.

Enjoy.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
camerondye

Valhalla verbs are the best bang for the buck for sure.

If you try Reverberate LE get the Bricasti M7 IR's to use, they are also free and they sound excellent.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
Jenny

Thanks for all the suggestions. I surfed around and found about 30 different free reverbs. So now I'm checking them out which I noticed can be very time consuming.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I surfed around and found about 30 different free reverbs. So now I'm checking them out which I noticed can be very time consuming.
It sure is....just wait til you get started on compressors!
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #12
lolilol1975

A little up for a shootout of algorithmic reverbs I've made on an acoustic track (singer + ukulele).

Here are the contenders in my order of preference:

Very good:
1) Sanford reverb
2) Voxengo OldSkoolverb

Good:
3) Tonebooster reverb v3 (not free)
4) TAL reverb II

Average:
5) Freeverb3
6) Cockos Reaverbate

Mediocre:
7) Ambience
8 ) Epicverb

8 ) is for me a surprising failure of Variety of Sound. I don't get it. Unless you want some special effects, it cannot be used realistically. The presets are caricatural.
7) used to be a favorite among the free reverbs. It can still be used with good effect if you are careful with the knobs, but tbh, there are better alternatives out there. Lots of presets, most of them are unusable.
6) is a tie with 5) and the same comment applies here. 5) is a set of different algorithms. I may haven't taken the time to get the best results out of the different algorithms, but my feeling it's time consuming and I don't feel it's worth the effort, as you can get decent results quickly with other products.

Starting from 4), I can recommend these reverbs without much reservation, they all do a good job. Of the 4, TAL is the simplest and you can get good results quickly with it. Still, to my ears, 1), 2) and 3) sound better in most if not all situations.
1) has the most natural sounding algorithm of them all. I would be hard pressed to distinguish it from a natural reverberation. I haven't tried commercial reverbs, but someone on the KVR reviews compared it to Softube TSAR-1 and found it to be on par. It's not simple to use, but suffice to say it sounds quite transparent and gives a sense of space that the other plugins fail to give. I simply use the presets.
2) is a great all around reverb. I think it's a bit more transparent than 1) and I could see myself using it just about anywhere.
3) is not free, but it comes in the very affordable and very good Toneboosters bundle. It is similar to TAL reverb, but with more knobs, and slightly more forward and maybe better sounding.

I've found that a parallel combination of 1) and 2) gives me a nice blend that I'm sure can compare favorably with some of the best commercial reverbs out there. Get both of them and they may very well prove to be the only reverbs you ever need.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 03-26-2016 at 06:57 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #13
themixtape

Odd. I LOVE Epicverb. I use it on basically everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
A little up for a shootout of algorithmic reverbs I've made on an acoustic track (singer + ukulele).

Here are the contenders in my order of preference:

Very good:
1) Sanford reverb
2) Voxengo OldSkoolverb

Good:
4) TAL reverb II

Average:
5) Freeverb3
6) Cockos Reaverbate

Mediocre:
7) Ambience
8 ) Epicverb

8 ) is for me a surprising failure of Variety of Sound. I don't get it. Unless you want some special effects, it cannot be used realistically. The presets are caricatural.
7) used to be a favorite among the free reverbs. It can still be used with good effect if you are careful with the knobs, but tbh, there are better alternatives out there. Lots of presets, most of them are unusable.
6) is a tie with 5) and the same comment applies here. 5) is a set of different algorithms. I may haven't taken the time to get the best results out of the different algorithms, but my feeling it's time consuming and I don't feel it's worth the effort, as you can get decent results quickly with other products.

Starting from 4), I can recommend these reverbs without much reservation, they all do a good job. Of the 4, TAL is the simplest and you can get good results quickly with it. Still, to my ears, 1), 2) and 3) sound better in most if not all situations.
1) has the most natural sounding algorithm of them all. I would be hard pressed to distinguish it from a natural reverberation. I haven't tried commercial reverbs, but someone on the KVR reviews compared it to Softube TSAR-1 and found it to be on par. It's not simple to use, but suffice to say it sounds quite transparent and gives a sense of space that the other plugins fail to give. I simply use the presets.
2) is a great all around reverb. I think it's a bit more transparent than 1) and I could see myself using it just about anywhere.
3) is not free, but it comes in the very affordable and very good Toneboosters bundle. It is similar to TAL reverb, but with more knobs, and slightly more forward and maybe better sounding.

I've found that a parallel combination of 1) and 2) gives me a nice blend that I'm sure can compare favorably with some of the best commercial reverbs out there. Get both of them and they may very well prove to be the only reverbs you ever need.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Odd. I LOVE Epicverb. I use it on basically everything.
Same, rough on CPU but amazing speed of getting the sounds I want. Not great for springy or sparkly sounds though.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
OPI

Vintage verb initial preset. Ain't natural but it sounds great!
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #16
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
Good:
I used to prefer Sanford. It took me a while to get used to TB Reverb but now that I get how it works, I prefer it. Here are a few things I realized about it:

-Consider that your room size and shape have to be optimal otherwise it can sound unnatural. Too low or too high a setting can really throw things off. (Try 1/2 to 3/4, within that range, for both.)

-Damp Freq, Character, and Low Pass are all important to get the right response for the top end. Consider what makes some reverb plugins sound "better" is how effectively they dampen/roll off the top end without sounding unnatural. Finding the right balance can be a bit tricky at first.

-I find the Diffusion control gets ringy if I'm not careful so I like keeping it lower in general.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote