Old 10-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
stevedcook
Human being with feelings

Default New Mix Critique

took some notes from all the useful and helpful suggestions I got last time around, thanks guys! Hopefully I've learned some things. Any advice or input welcome!

https://www.reverbnation.com/stevedc...48470-derailed
stevedcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
spottydog10

They sound a bit muddy in places with a few frequencies getting in the way but pretty good.
I played through 5 of them and kept expecting a vocal to come in.
Just my opinion like but why don't you sort out a vocal melody line and turn them into songs?
Cheers mate
spottydog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
stevedcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
They sound a bit muddy in places with a few frequencies getting in the way but pretty good.
I played through 5 of them and kept expecting a vocal to come in.
Just my opinion like but why don't you sort out a vocal melody line and turn them into songs?
Cheers mate
Thanks! Would like to do that but I'm neither a lyricist or singer and really have no collaborators. I just noodle around in my dining room to get the sounds outta my head. The problem with the muddiness on most of those mixes is that until I found this forum, I had no idea how to carve and shape with EQ and I'm only really starting to grasp the techniques. Sure appreciate the listrens!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
partonkevin

I think they sound fine for getting ideas down. The recording itself may need some work if you wanted to more than just have a quick demo.

'Derailed', specifically sounds like the guitar went direct. For almost any guitar, and your style of playing especially, I really prefer a big speaker with a mic...even a cheap mic. It just sounds much more realistic to me.

And the drums sound like they were programmed by a guitar player. No offense. I can't make drums sound real either. I just can't think like a drummer. And for years we've accused them of not thinking!

Some of your other songs sound more real...guitar sounds and drums. You have some really good ideas there. Why aren't you playing with a band or something? You need to be working with some people.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
stevedcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by partonkevin View Post
I think they sound fine for getting ideas down. The recording itself may need some work if you wanted to more than just have a quick demo.

'Derailed', specifically sounds like the guitar went direct. For almost any guitar, and your style of playing especially, I really prefer a big speaker with a mic...even a cheap mic. It just sounds much more realistic to me.

And the drums sound like they were programmed by a guitar player. No offense. I can't make drums sound real either. I just can't think like a drummer. And for years we've accused them of not thinking!

Some of your other songs sound more real...guitar sounds and drums. You have some really good ideas there. Why aren't you playing with a band or something? You need to be working with some people.
Thanks, partonkevin, for the listens and kind words. The majority of recordings are just as you say, some demo ideas in case I ever run into someone interested in collabing or such, and a lot were done on a Boss 4 track. The last half dozen or so are completely misguided attempts to make all my "toy" gear (Ion electric drums (as played badly by a guitarist ), Yamaha starter keyboard, Squier Strat, etc) sound like something usable. On "Derailed" I did indeed take the line out from a Vox head directly to my mixer, then to the DAW, but generally I've been using the sounds from either the sims built into the Boss unit or from my Digitech RP55. I'd love to mic up but I live in a small apt as so many of us do...

I'm definitely interested in working with other people but so far, the folks I've tried with have been more interested in the rock-star trip, and honestly, I just want to make good sounds and good records. A lot of what I do appears to not make musical sense to some folks...

Anyway, thanks again for the advice and for listening!