Old 10-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v5.28pre2 - October 22 2016

v5.28pre2 - October 22 2016
+ MIDI editor: add actions to select CC events under selected notes
+ MIDI editor: display CC events for active channel in front of other events [t=177453]
+ MIDI editor: do not select note when clicking on velocity bar with edit or ramp mouse modifier engaged [t=182044]
+ MIDI editor: ensure that 1-pixel-wide notes are visible regardless of coloring preferences [t=180376]
+ MIDI editor: respect option to select CC with notes during all mouse selection actions [t=177723]
+ MIDI editor: return focus to editor after closing grid/note length dropdown
+ MIDI: fix intermittent missing notes when pasting MIDI directly into the arrange view [t=179571]
+ Notation editor: improve lyric editing
# FX: improve chain resizing logic
# FX: improve cursor when drag and drop TCP/MCP button
# MIDI editor: draw zero-length notes that occur exactly at the start of the media item [t=177453]

Full changelog is here.

Last edited by vitalker; 10-22-2016 at 04:10 PM.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Awesome stuff!

I have a direct question for schwa or Justin, and I hope they don't mind.

Some versions ago we had an extended MIDI note editor that allowed tweaking notehead shapes and remapping notes for notating drums in notation view... I'm just wondering when will that reemerge?

We all remember global groove quantize alpha back in v4 cycle that never reemerged since - I'd hate the same thing to happen to this excellent feature. Hence my question.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Chain resizing for plugins with no GUI is broken. And if you go to the generic interface, the plugin resizing isn't working as expected:
Old 10-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Docked MIDI editor bug (and quite a big impact on workflow unfortunately): pressing a button on MIDI editor toolbar loses focus from docked MIDI editor, so keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work until I click back in the MIDI editor.

Hopefully easily fixed?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
snooks
Banned

Re single track time sigs from pre1 - that's great now. The one last thing about the single track view is that I think having the multiple row view would also be a great option for single systems. So a vox + instrument system with treble and grand staff for example can be viewed and printed in a page view. It seems a shame to lose the page view when viewing another track in the same folder with Bracket tracks by folder enabled.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

We all remember global groove quantize alpha back in v4 cycle...
Haven't seen it.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
juliansader

Awesome indeed!!

The reference thread for the disappearing notes should be [t=180376]:
Quote:
+ MIDI editor: ensure that 1-pixel-wide notes are visible regardless of coloring preferences [t=182044]
The note length dropdown still seems to steal focus:
Quote:
+ MIDI editor: return focus to editor after closing grid/note length dropdown
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

Editing multichannel CC has already become a lot nicer now, thanks

Can the "edit only active channel CC events" feature please also work on other mouse modifiers, like linear ramp, erase and selection? Especially linear ramp is so similar to (the edit part of) draw/edit that it's odd to have it behave differently.

But I'd also like to copy or erase CC on the active channel only - I'm aware that it's a completely different editing paradigm as in the rest of Reaper - that's why I still promote the idea to keep an "All channels" option for this whole thing available.

Last edited by gofer; 10-22-2016 at 05:52 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
But I'd also like to copy or erase CC on the active channel only - I'm aware that it's a completely different editing paradigm as in the rest of Reaper - that's why I still promote the idea to keep an "All channels" option for this whole thing available.
I think of it as very similar to how tracks in the MIDI editor can be set as active, editable, visible or invisible:

* With the "All channels" option switched on, the non-active channels are set to editable, so CCs from all channels can be selected, copied or erased together, for example.

* With "All channels" switched off, non-active channels are visible but not editable, so they cannot be selected and are not changed by editing.

EDIT: And with the Filter checkbox engaged, the non-active channels are set to invisible.

Last edited by juliansader; 10-23-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Can we also have linear ramp as draw, not just edit? So that we can start drawing a ramp instead of first needing to draw random CCs then linearize them...
Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Re single track time sigs from pre1 - that's great now. The one last thing about the single track view is that I think having the multiple row view would also be a great option for single systems. So a vox + instrument system with treble and grand staff for example can be viewed and printed in a page view. It seems a shame to lose the page view when viewing another track in the same folder with Bracket tracks by folder enabled.
Single track time sigs?
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #12
MRMJP

Quote:
Would it be possible to change the FX Chain window resizing logic so that the top left corner is always anchored to the same place?

What I don't care for now is how when resizing, the window placement seems to move all over the screen which when working fast, can be an issue.

The resizing itself is great and makes for a nice clean look, but it seems to me that the top left corner (which is the one common point for all plugin sizes) could remain in the same place on the screen to avoid so much FX Chain window movement around the screen.

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by MRMJP; 10-23-2016 at 04:33 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
G-Sun

Quote:
Thank you!
Was observing some odd lyric behavior in 5.26,
so hopefully better now
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Would it be possible to change the FX Chain window resizing logic so that the top left corner is always anchored to the same place?

Why I don't care for now is how when resizing, the window placement seems to move all over the screen which when working fast, can be an issue.

The resizing itself is great and makes for a nice clean look, but it seems to me that the top left corner (which is the one common point for all plugin sizes) could remain in the same place on the screen to avoid so much FX Chain window movement around the screen.

+1 huge annoyance
Old 10-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
Would...
I think it's the Mac issue only.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #16
mccrabney

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: ensure that 1-pixel-wide notes are visible regardless of coloring preferences [t=182044]
this looks and feels so much better now. thanks so much. now i have to find a new pet bug.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
The-Zeronaut

Quote:

Why I don't care for now is how when resizing, the window placement seems to move all over the screen which when working fast, can be an issue.

+1000000000
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I think it's the Mac issue only.
yep, fixing though
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #19
cjaxis

this is not mine, but asked to post this:

Hello.

Updated with Reaper5.0 to Reaper5.27. Noticed that has changed the principle of creating the name of the WAV file after gluing. Previously when joining several items there was a file in which name was the name of the track on which it lies, but not now. How to make it? For example, I recorded the vocals on the track REC moved on the tracks (Vocal, Back). After mounting, glued, and in the project folder should have two files 05-Vocal-160526_1952.wav 06-Back-160526_1952.wav it was convenient for quick file access and correct their organization. How to return such a principle of generating names in Reaper5.27?
I hope for Your help, thanks in advance. Volchenko74@yahoo.com
With respect. Vladimir.
cjaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #20
esosotericmetal

Quote:

+1 was thinking exactly the same thing.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #21
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
yep, fixing though
Very nice, thanks! Looking forward to the fix.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #22
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
yep, fixing though
Woohaa, so great !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #23
jiff 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaxis View Post
this is not mine, but asked to post this:

Hello.

Updated with Reaper5.0 to Reaper5.27. Noticed that has changed the principle of creating the name of the WAV file after gluing. Previously when joining several items there was a file in which name was the name of the track on which it lies, but not now. How to make it? For example, I recorded the vocals on the track REC moved on the tracks (Vocal, Back). After mounting, glued, and in the project folder should have two files 05-Vocal-160526_1952.wav 06-Back-160526_1952.wav it was convenient for quick file access and correct their organization. How to return such a principle of generating names in Reaper5.27?
I hope for Your help, thanks in advance. Volchenko74@yahoo.com
With respect. Vladimir.
This vid might help? http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#U8_fSWVH4qs
Old 10-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #24
gofer
-blänk-

While you're at "focus returning to MIDI editor" related work, one thing that has been annoying many of us for a long time is that clicking on a toolbar button steals focus away from the MIDI editor.
That's not only custom buttons, but also some of the default ones. Could it be made so that a click on any button in any MIDI toolbar generally returns focus? I only ever use a single editor at a time, but for those who use multiple, it should probably be the one that has been used last.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #25
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Docked MIDI editor bug (and quite a big impact on workflow unfortunately): pressing a button on MIDI editor toolbar loses focus from docked MIDI editor, so keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work until I click back in the MIDI editor.
Are you referring to the bug reported in Shortcut key in docked MIDI editor doesn't work after clicking MIDI toolbar? (I wasn't sure if this bug has been fixed or not.)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Looks like I am
Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #27
gofer
-blänk-

Oh, I didn't see ED's report there

I am not entirely sure, here it seems that a click in the main piano roll toolbar does indeed work (return focus) if the editor is undocked (this is news to me, mine is always docked), but not if the editor is docked.

However, a click in any other MIDI toolbar does seem to steal focus no matter if the editor is docked or not. Hope there will be a solution to this in the near future. My main piano roll toolbar is crowded to the max, so that I have a whole bunch of (contextual, thanks breeder) additional MIDI toolbars which are severely crippled by the constant need to re-focus the editor.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #28
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
However, a click in any other MIDI toolbar does seem to steal focus no matter if the editor is docked or not. Hope there will be a solution to this in the near future.
Also SWS contextual toolbars.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 AM   #29
gofer
-blänk-

It's not just SWS contextual toolbars. I don't think it matters how the toolbar has been opened, but where it is positioned.

In an undocked MIDI editor, any MIDI toolbar that is not at the position of the default main piano roll toolbar ("Position toolbar -> In MIDI editor") doesn't return the focus.
In a docked MIDI editor even toolbars at the main position steal focus.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Fergler

MMB doesn't return focus either (here's my post about that: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181363 )
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #31
gofer
-blänk-

I can't confirm that, Fergler (assuming that MMB is middle mouse button). Seems to work for me.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #32
Thalamus

"+ MIDI editor: add actions to select CC events under selected notes"

Wasnt that always the case? If you click on a note, the CC is selected.
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #33
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalamus View Post
"+ MIDI editor: add actions to select CC events under selected notes"

Wasnt that always the case? If you click on a note, the CC is selected.
Previously, there was an option "Edit: Toggle CC selection follows note selection", which selects/deselects CCs under notes at the moment when the notes themselves are selected/deselected. The CC selection only follows mouse-based note selection methods (such as clicking on the note), not script-based note selection.

Now there is an additional action, "Edit: Select all CCs under selected notes", which can be used to select CCs *after* the notes have already been selected. The notes can be selected using any method, mouse-based or not.

EDIT: There is another difference between the two actions: The original option only selects CCs in the note's own channel, whereas the new action selects CCs from all channels.

Last edited by juliansader; 10-25-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #34
juliansader

I came across some strange changes in CC selection when using the new CC selection features:

* Activate the "CC selection follows note selection" option.
* Select a note by clicking on it. The CCs under the note are also selected.
* Select other notes and their CCs by dragging the mouse over the piano keys. (This is the new feature.)
* Change active channel.
=> The CC selection has changed back to the CCs of the note that was clicked.

(This is in pre5, but I suppose it would also happen in pre2.)

On a related note: I would propose that the nifty new "Edit: Select all CCs under selected notes" action should limit selection to CCs that are in the note's own channel, similar to the original "Toggle CC selection follows note selection" option:

* By so doing, the effect of the action will be familiar to users.

* The intended application of the action is (I assume) to select all and only those CCs that are directly relevant to the selected notes. CCs in other channels would most likely be extraneous.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #35
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The CC selection has changed back to the CCs of the note that was clicked
This is fixed for the next build, but the whatsnew line explaining the fix would be so technical as to be meaningless, so I'll just comment here that it will be fixed!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:02 AM   #36
juliansader

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: display CC events for active channel in front of other events [t=177453]
Notes and velocity seem to follow rules that are different from CCs and from each other:

Channel 1 = red (active), channel 2 = yellow, channel 3 = green.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #37
juliansader

Quote:
v5.28pre2 - October 22 2016
Most of the issues reported in [t=182392] appear to be fixed, except that the lyrics' "stepper" seems to overlook notes when they fall either slightly behind the expected beat (when stepping forward) or slightly ahead of the expected beat (when stepping backward):

(In this example, the editor's Grid and Notes are both set to 1/32.)
Old 11-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #38
juliansader

It seems that some of the lyrics issues that were reported for 1/16th notes still occur for 1/32nd and 1/64th notes:

* Even if the grid, note and quantization are all set to 1/64, the minimum step length for lyrics seems to be 1/16 (if the notes are 1/32) or 3/64 (if the notes are 1/64), so the lyrics stepper skips some notes.

* If the notes are 1/64, the stepper sometimes gets stuck and doesn't more forward. It then also edits a lyric at the wrong, adjacent position.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #39
juliansader

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: do not select note when clicking on velocity bar with edit or ramp mouse modifier engaged [t=182044]
Draw/edit CC events is not yet working 100% in the velocity lane "CC event" context, as reported in MIDI editor: Velocity moves erratically when using "Draw/edit CC events":

When using the mouse modifier "Draw/edit CC events ignoring selection" to draw velocities, the velocity bar moves erratically and does not follow the mouse position accurately:

Comparison between drawing Velocity vs CC:

In a thread at VI-Control, another user also mentioned that Velocities "jump erratically" when using Draw/edit CC events.