Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
zoso2
Human being with feelings

Default Timeline in Render Window

When rendering, especially rendering preliminary/rough mixes, clips are brought to my attention in the render dialogue which were not noticed earlier when working on the project.

**It would be fantastic if Reaper displayed a timeline in the render dialogue so it would be possible to make note of where clips occurred during render.**

Since I'm rendering in full speed offline almost all of the time it's quite impossible to really know precisely where to find clips for speedy editing when I discover them during rendering.

Any thoughts?
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post

Any thoughts?
use a limiter with ceiling of -1dBFS
Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
it would be possible to make note of where clips occurred during render.
Absolutely no clipping is allowed to occur while rendering to an integer file format. That is why you need to use a brickwall limiter at the end of the post-production FX chain.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
Siman

**It would be fantastic if Reaper displayed a timeline in the render dialogue so it would be possible to make note of where clips occurred during render.**

+1
Siman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
mrlimbic

Timeruler would be great. Also for me massively useful would be a loudness graph. At the moment I need to bring it into a different tool, check, then go back to reaper to render again.

I needed that on a mix for a cinema screening. Would save me masses of trial and error time between different tools when trying to hit specific dynamics at different moments on a large calibrated sound system. On a calibrated system, you know exactly what dbFS will be what sound pressure in the room at what volume.

For example, Mixbus has a very nice render report. Even with a frequency analysis.

The loudness graph is cluster based, so can see loudness of different sections on dynamic material.

Also this kind of loudness graph is useful. But is not so convenient as a VST. Would be much better on the whole render.

The EBU r128 loudness analysis libraries are all open source, so could be integrated in REAPER renders.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 04-22-2016 at 09:28 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
zoso2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Absolutely no clipping is allowed to occur while rendering to an integer file format. That is why you need to use a brickwall limiter at the end of the post-production FX chain.

-Michael
Yes of course. Whatever everyones personal mixing work flow is or what state of incomplete the project is at this feature would be fairly useful to a lot of people. Maybe as an option to turn on or off.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Any thoughts?
If you render your masters @ 32bit or higher- there's no need to rea lly think about clipping until your go back to 24 or 16bit interfacing or for distribution.
Simple as that.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote