CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #401
olilarkin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_id View Post
Has anyone updated to XCode 6? I am wondering if it is painless, or a cluster-f@#$.
I upgraded and it seems to be ok. I'm still compiling against the 10.5/10.6 sdk though
Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #402
olilarkin

i've started moving the wdl-ol next branch to VisualStudio 2013 and Xcode 6. It's not finished yet. Just a heads up.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #403
stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
i've started moving the wdl-ol next branch to VisualStudio 2013 and Xcode 6. It's not finished yet. Just a heads up.
Thanks for all your efforts...
stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #404
random_id

Quote:
This is great! I just got RTAS to build on Windows using VS 2013. The changes to mutex.h were just the right thing.
Thanks soooooo much.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #405
debian

Is it possible to compile 32 bit au with xcode 5 and mavericks?
What di I need to do that?
32 bit auplugin does no longer appear as an option for me on my new computer....
Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #406
olilarkin

yep. auval runs as x64 by default though, and logic X doesn't do 32 bit au
Old 10-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #407
debian

But what do I need to do to get the option to compile 32 bit au in the xcode debugger?

On my old computer running xcode 4 i had an option in this project to run 32 bit au.... now only 64 bit au.
Attached Images
File Type: png Skärmavbild 2014-10-12 kl. 09.52.44.png (50.1 KB, 454 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #408
olilarkin

sometimes xcode's schemes get corrupted. Try reduplicating one of the example projects and see if it has the same issue. And make sure you are using the latest next branch since i only recently started making it work with Xcode 4+
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #409

Quote:
well spotted. I have to check what is the correct behaviour. I've done a commit on a new branch that should make windows behave in the same way as mac

https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol/...4efe33161c7e0c
Hi Oli,
I've corrected IGraphicsWin.cpp in accordance with your commit.
After that I compiled IPlugEEL on Windows 7.
If I click AlgDisplay, I cannot rotate the knob. However, if I try to rotate the knob ones again, it works. In other words, the knob doesn't work until I click outside the AlgDisplay.

I don't have such problem on Mac.

Is there a method to fix this problem?
www is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #410
toddhisattva

Default strange CreateTextEntry behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLVST View Post
I stumbled over some strange behaviour of CreateTextEntry() in Win7:

When you press "Escape" in the text editing field, the whole GUI of my plugin goes blank. This also happens for me in the IPlugEEL example.

I am using VS Express 2010. It happens in Savihost, Reaper and Standalone.

Can anybody confirm this, and does anybody has a fix or workaround?

Thanks,
Martin
It happens to me too. I "fixed" it by commenting out "editStyle |= ES_MULTILINE;" on line 961 of IGraphicsWin.cpp it looks kinda lonely and after-thought-ish maybe thrown in just for the IPlugEEL demo.

Obviously not a good fix but maybe it hints at what the real problem is.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #411
MLVST

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhisattva View Post
It happens to me too. I "fixed" it by commenting out "editStyle |= ES_MULTILINE;" on line 961 of IGraphicsWin.cpp it looks kinda lonely and after-thought-ish maybe thrown in just for the IPlugEEL demo.

Obviously not a good fix but maybe it hints at what the real problem is.
Yes, this did the trick. Thanks!
What is this line supposed to do?

Cheers,
Martin
MLVST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #412
olilarkin

Default IControl::OnMouseWheel()

I've decided that IControls shouldn't respond to the mouse wheel by default and made IControl::OnMouseWheel() a no-op. That means if you have any custom knobs/faders that inherit directly from IControl rather than IKnobControl or IFaderControl, you will have to implement OnMouseWheel() in your custom control class.

https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol/...6...7156867df0
Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #413
A_SN

I get a hang in IPlugVST::InformHostOfParamChange() with Tracktion 5 (both on Windows and Mac), it hangs deep inside the mHostCallback() call.

What I do is call ((IGraphics *) ci->pGraphics)->GetControl(ctrlg)->SetValueFromUserInput(GetParam(kEQg+i)->GetNormalized()); from SplineEQ::ProcessDoubleReplacing() (I do that when a control point is moved on screen, as in not a knob but something quite arbitrary). Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a Tracktion 5 bug?

An image is worth many words: https://i.imgur.com/oOI93FT.png
A_SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #414
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SN View Post
What I do is call ((IGraphics *) ci->pGraphics)->GetControl(ctrlg)->SetValueFromUserInput(GetParam(kEQg+i)->GetNormalized()); from SplineEQ::ProcessDoubleReplacing()
call IControl::SetValueFromPlug() not IControl::SetValueFromUserInput(), because that is to be used when someone edits something in the GUI. You can see the IControl::SetDirty(); is causing a param change to be sent back to the DAW.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #415
A_SN

Quote:
call IControl::SetValueFromPlug() not IControl::SetValueFromUserInput(), because that is to be used when someone edits something in the GUI. You can see the IControl::SetDirty(); is causing a param change to be sent back to the DAW.
Ah okay thanks that fixed it. I changed all my SetValueFromUserInput() calls to SetValueFromPlug() even in the IDraw class functions, I assume that's the correct thing to do?
A_SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:37 AM   #416
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SN View Post
Ah okay thanks that fixed it. I changed all my SetValueFromUserInput() calls to SetValueFromPlug() even in the IDraw class functions, I assume that's the correct thing to do?
IDraw class functions? do you mean IControl?

In general when the user interacts with the GUI and causes a control value to change which should be passed on as a parameter change, you would would use IControl::SetValueFromUserInput() inside custom IControls, although not in a IControl:: Draw() or IControl::IsDirty() function which are potentially called very frequently.

If you want to update a Control from ProcessDoubleReplacing() you can use IControl::SetValueFromPlug(), for example for a VU meter.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #417

Default App hangs in DirectSound mode

I've finished porting all my VST plug-ins from VSTGUI to WDL-OL. VST and AU work without any problem. More than that, many GUI functions work much faster than similar VSTGUI functions. Many thanks to Oli for his work.
I am still fighting with the Standalone App version. It works perfectly in ASIO mode, however, it often stops working (hangs) in DirectSound mode when I click the "Apply" button in File>Preferences. I've found out that the program hangs when it reaches the following string (RtAudio.cpp):
WaitForSingleObject( (HANDLE) stream_.callbackInfo.thread, INFINITE );
I didn't change anything in the IPlugEffect code and I use Windows 7.
I'd be very grateful for any advice.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #418
random_id

Default GetHost()

I think there is an issue with GetHost() in RTAS on the Mac (haven't tested the Windows side yet). I added a line with GetHost(), and I get a crash when PT10 loads the plugin. Commenting it out, and everything loads fine.

I haven't stepped through with a debugger yet, but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 AM   #419
HoRNet

can anybody give me some advice? I've recently switched to xcode6 on yosemite for my build machine, a little pain but everything seems to work except for some strange issue.

A user with 10.7.5 on an old MacPro reported a crash with the plugins i compiled with this system:

Code:
Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
objc[659]: garbage collection is OFF
Performing @selector(swellOnControlDoubleClick:) from sender REAPERSwell_listview 0x2b75090

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0ddac300 IParam::InitDouble(char const*, double, double, double, double, char const*, char const*, double) + 176
1   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0dd88570 HoRNetGraffio::HoRNetGraffio(IPlugInstanceInfo) + 14288
2   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0dd84c6e MakePlug() + 686
3   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0ddb1034 IPlugAU::IPlugAUEntry(ComponentParameters*, void*) + 372
It happens in the same place with another plugin too. It seems like the binary build with LLVM 6 contains some opcode not understood by older hardware...is it possible???

Looking at the code of InitDouble i can't see any strange voodoo that would require some new opcode magic from I5 ot I7 processors instead of the regular i386 instruction set...

Saverio
HoRNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by www View Post
I've finished porting all my VST plug-ins from VSTGUI to WDL-OL. VST and AU work without any problem. More than that, many GUI functions work much faster than similar VSTGUI functions. Many thanks to Oli for his work.
I am still fighting with the Standalone App version. It works perfectly in ASIO mode, however, it often stops working (hangs) in DirectSound mode when I click the "Apply" button in File>Preferences. I've found out that the program hangs when it reaches the following string (RtAudio.cpp):
WaitForSingleObject( (HANDLE) stream_.callbackInfo.thread, INFINITE );
I didn't change anything in the IPlugEffect code and I use Windows 7.
I'd be very grateful for any advice.
I've found the solution. It is enough to delete the following 11 lines of code in app_main.cpp:
Code:
    if (gDAC->isStreamRunning())
    {
      try
      {
        gDAC->abortStream();
      }
      catch (RtError& e)
      {
        e.printMessage();
      }
    }
Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #421
HoRNet

Default My fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
can anybody give me some advice? I've recently switched to xcode6 on yosemite for my build machine, a little pain but everything seems to work except for some strange issue.

A user with 10.7.5 on an old MacPro reported a crash with the plugins i compiled with this system:

Code:
Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
objc[659]: garbage collection is OFF
Performing @selector(swellOnControlDoubleClick:) from sender REAPERSwell_listview 0x2b75090

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0ddac300 IParam::InitDouble(char const*, double, double, double, double, char const*, char const*, double) + 176
1   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0dd88570 HoRNetGraffio::HoRNetGraffio(IPlugInstanceInfo) + 14288
2   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0dd84c6e MakePlug() + 686
3   com.HoRNet.audiounit.HoRNetGraffio	0x0ddb1034 IPlugAU::IPlugAUEntry(ComponentParameters*, void*) + 372
It happens in the same place with another plugin too. It seems like the binary build with LLVM 6 contains some opcode not understood by older hardware...is it possible???

Looking at the code of InitDouble i can't see any strange voodoo that would require some new opcode magic from I5 ot I7 processors instead of the regular i386 instruction set...

Saverio
I had SSE 4.1 and autovectorization enabled this probably caused some loop to be optimized with unknown opcode to older processors...

Saverio
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 AM   #422
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
I had SSE 4.1 and autovectorization enabled this probably caused some loop to be optimized with unknown opcode to older processors...
Good to know.

Note that SSE2 can really boost your code (especially if you use doubles), but anything beyond that doesn't do much in my experience. Which makes sense I guess, because SSE2/SSE3/SSE4 all can handle only 128 bits chunks. AVX can handle 256 bits, so that could be worth it, but I guess there are still too many non-AVX CPUs out there.
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #423
HoRNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Good to know.

Note that SSE2 can really boost your code (especially if you use doubles), but anything beyond that doesn't do much in my experience. Which makes sense I guess, because SSE2/SSE3/SSE4 all can handle only 128 bits chunks. AVX can handle 256 bits, so that could be worth it, but I guess there are still too many non-AVX CPUs out there.
Great portions of my filter and saturation routines are in SSE2 assembler, but i haven't noticed that the last XCode enables SSE4.1 and probably -O3 includes auto-vectorization, i don't know. What i can say is that chaging from SSE4.1 to SSE3 made stuff work a gain on a MacPro from some years ago...

Saverio
Old 02-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #424
Deisss

Hi there, first time I post here...

I'm creating a VST plugin with this excellent library (thanks a lot ol !!!!), but i'm facing a simple problem:

I got some graphics in it, but the anti aliasing rendering is just OK and far from perfect looking. Im trying to have a better rendering there.

For now I follow two ways, first of all, change the Draw* elements by using custom algorithm, but Lice is rather not cool with this...

So I change to create a old school anti aliasing technics: draw a bigger area, and resize to fit screen.
Here is the code I come up with:

Code:
bool Draw(IGraphics *pGraphics) {
  // Aliasing divider is a simple int like 4, 6, ...
  IGraphicsWin tmp(pGraphics->GetPlug(), pGraphics->Width() * ALIASING_DIVIDER, pGraphics->Height(), pGraphics->FPS());

// (some stuff like DrawLine with tmp)

// Rendering
  LICE_SysBitmap* bitmap = tmp.GetDrawBitmap();
  IBitmap result(bitmap, bitmap->getWidth(), bitmap->getHeight());
  pGraphics->DrawBitmap(&result, &this->mRECT);
};
For now, everything up to 'result' line works, but the result line don't.
I get something like:
Code:
First change exception at 0x000007FEE73142A9 in MyProgram.exe*: 0xC0000005*: Access violation while reading 0x0000000000000000.
I would like to know what is the right way to convert a LICE_SysBitmap in IBitmap (the technics I use is the one found in IGraphics::LoadIBitmap for example).
Also, as it's the convertion which fails, in the same time if you have any idea to shrink the bitmap into pGraphics render so it get smoooootttthhhhh
Deisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #425
Tale

I am not sure if this is of any help, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deisss View Post
Code:
bool Draw(IGraphics *pGraphics) {
  // Aliasing divider is a simple int like 4, 6, ...
  IGraphicsWin tmp(pGraphics->GetPlug(), pGraphics->Width() * ALIASING_DIVIDER, pGraphics->Height(), pGraphics->FPS());
I am pretty sure you can't do this, because this will make your compiler try to create a temporary copy of the full GUI, and I think it will probably fail (because there is no explicit copy constructor, and I don't expect the default copy constructor to copy all handles etc.).
Old 02-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #426
Deisss

Hum I was expecting -without checking it- the IGraphics class will be attach to control (so one per IControl) instead of full GUI :/

Sad It means I will probably not be able to do what I want, or re-develop a full based LICE class to do almost the same (draw lines, points, etc...)
Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #427
Deisss

So, to continue -and finish- this story, I could achieve to succeed since you give me the right answer (having a duplicate of IGraphics and doing rendering in bigger size then shrink it to avoid GUI copy).

BUT; it was really, really slow and CPU consuming. Actually I didn't expect it to work perfectly, using GetBit/GetPoint and SetBit/SetPoint has I got a custom resize algorithm is usually a lot time consuming.

So I change the way, I switch to another library (cairo to name it, quite common isn't it ), so I post here how to achieve it:

1) First, include the cairo lib in your project (I'm using VS 2013):
http://nil-techno.blogspot.fr/2009/1...plication.html

Works fine with IPlug default Visual Studio template.

EDIT: me I need to add zlib.dll with the project output or I get a DLL not found error (you can found it in gtk+ bin directory shipped with cairo stuff).

2) Add some cairo stuff, here I create a basic "hello_cairo.h", a kind of bezier drawing:

Code:
#include <cairo/cairo.h>

unsigned int* test_cairo() {
	cairo_surface_t *surface;
	cairo_t *cr;

surface = cairo_image_surface_create(CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32, 300, 200);
	cr = cairo_create(surface);

double x = 25.6, y = 128.0;
	double x1 = 102.4, y1 = 230.4,
		x2 = 153.6, y2 = 25.6,
		x3 = 230.4, y3 = 128.0;

cairo_move_to(cr, x, y);
	cairo_curve_to(cr, x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3);

cairo_set_line_width(cr, 10.0);
	cairo_stroke(cr);

cairo_set_source_rgba(cr, 1, 0.2, 0.2, 0.6);
	cairo_set_line_width(cr, 6.0);
	cairo_move_to(cr, x, y);   cairo_line_to(cr, x1, y1);
	cairo_move_to(cr, x2, y2); cairo_line_to(cr, x3, y3);
	cairo_stroke(cr);

cairo_surface_flush(surface);
	unsigned char *data = cairo_image_surface_get_data(surface);

cairo_surface_destroy(surface);
	return (unsigned int*)data;
}
This is just a sample code to demonstrate, you need something around 300x200px surface to see it in action (on the IControl you want to print it).

3) In your Draw function (in any IControl you want to use cairo):
Code:
bool MyControl::Draw(IGraphics* pGraphics) {
  // The data is directly converted to unsigned int*
  unsigned int *data = test_cairo();
  // This is a un-documented stuff, but quite usefull
  // It takes a unsigned int* as first parameter (the data coming from another library)
  // The width as second param, the height as third (the cairo rendering width/height not the IControl one).
  // And I found if you don't set the width again on 4th param you got bad rendering result.
  // I could guess that by checking how the span parameter is used after in LICE.
  // And the flipped parameter does not need to be set to true with cairo.
  LICE_WrapperBitmap WrapperBitmap = LICE_WrapperBitmap(data, 300, 200, 300, false);

IBitmap result(&WrapperBitmap, WrapperBitmap.getWidth(), WrapperBitmap.getHeight());
  pGraphics->DrawBitmap(&result, &this->mRECT);

return true;
}
I found the explain of WrapperBitmap here:
http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=2181

Tiny explain, but enough And then, I just need to draw the bitmap like an image, with all the nice antialiasing/smooth of cairo

Simple, effective, and no CPU consuming, here you will have a nice bezier curve, much better than what LICE offers to me at first:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tu...-lines.html.en

Here is the result on my WDL OL Project:

Everything except the bezier stuff comes from WDL, and the bezier comes from cairo, alpha channel is well handled, and smoothing stuff also.

Have fun !
Old 02-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #428
olilarkin

i have also successfully embedded cairo in an IControl, it's very nice for vector stuff :-)

BTW - feel free to start a new thread if your post is not specifically WDL-OL related
Old 02-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #429
olilarkin

couple of Win32 text entry fixes on the next branch,

- if you want to be able to type in text that is wider than an edit box you can do that now, but the text must be left-aligned
- pressing escape should no longer cause the whole GUI to go blank!
- switching focus to another window while inputing text commits rather than cancelling text input

https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol/commits/next
Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #430
Deisss

Quote:
i have also successfully embedded cairo in an IControl, it's very nice for vector stuff :-)

BTW - feel free to start a new thread if your post is not specifically WDL-OL related
No problem, will do

For now I'm just trying to build cairo to bare minimum -and in static- both x86 and x64 to make it much more easy to include in project (especially to avoid some DLL to ship with your project, as I found Ableton and Reaper having problem loading zlib).

Btw if somebody know why... I mean, I include zlib.dll next to my project, and Ableton and Reaper where not able to load my DLL (it was giving me a zlib error message -basically not found-), when I put zlib.dll into System32 -hardcore-, it suddenly works... How work the searching path for plugin DLL in those DAW, where we should put extra DLL in this special plugin context ?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #431
Deisss

I'm done

https://simplapi.wordpress.com/2015/...ics-in-wdl-ol/
Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 AM   #432
ThorstenS

Default Lock free wdl-ol

Hi Oli,

is there any chance that you release the lock free version of wdl-ol anytime soon?
ThorstenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #433
olilarkin

just need some time to document it and sort out the examples
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #434
Tale

Well, you could push what you have to a separate experimental branch, then add docs and examples, optionally rebase it, and then merge it info next or master. Just saying.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #435
ThorstenS

Default Experimental Branch

I understand that this is a bunch of work. I am very happy that you released wdl-ol to the public and are maintaining it.

Maybe you can release the experimental branch and a single sample, which shows how to use the lock-free code? No docs required in the first place. Me and others can then contribute to it. If several people use the code and review it, it might become more mature. Give it a chance to grow. :-)
ThorstenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #436
olilarkin

i have been tidying up the "IPlug2" examples and hopefully i can find the time to do a bit of documentation in the next few days since otherwise anyone who tries it will get stuck pretty quickly.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #437
mete0r

extremely stupid question: how do I add new (or existing) files to a solution created with duplicate.py in visual studio? I tried adding them to the vst2 project but they were not added to the other projects.
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #438
olilarkin

unfortunately you have to add them to each project in visual studio.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #439
sstillwell

Oli,

If you're moving to Xcode 6 / VS 2013, I'm (possibly wrongly) assuming you're deprecating RTAS in favor of AAX? I wasn't able to go beyond VS 2010 and Xcode 4 and still get RTAS to work, although admittedly the frustration level rose rapidly enough that I wasn't filled with enthusiasm to keep pushing at it...

Scott
Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #440
olilarkin

I have moved the master branch to VS2013 and Xcode6 but i'm not deprecating RTAS. I can still compile Endless Series as RTAS. I think it just worked on MSVC. On OSX I am compiling against the 10.5 SDK, which requires putting the SDK inside the Xcode bundle manually (and repeating every time you update Xcode).

Xcode6 seems to be fine compiling with the 10.5/10.6 SDKs which was not the case with Xcode4!

RTAS will not compile with the 10.7+ SDK IIRC