Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
bfsound
Human being with feelings

Default Presonus studiolive....

Any body use studiolive 16 or 24 with reaper on a mac??? is it easy to set up to record and then mix down as well after recording???

thanks
bfsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Fitzhb

I have a StudioLive but I JUST started using Reaper. I love the SL and it has been very easy to setup the recording. I have created a template that maps to all my SL channels. Now all I have to do is open a new file from template and hit the record button. I use the SL to mix everything up and Reaper to tweak it.
Fitzhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
buvoltz

I use an iMac based studio and three Presonus FP10's. Works flawlessly. Set the buffer size to 128 or 256 in Reaper and get nearly realtime with effects like Amplitube.

Peace,
Steve
Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
ivoryviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzhb View Post
I have a StudioLive but I JUST started using Reaper. I love the SL and it has been very easy to setup the recording. I have created a template that maps to all my SL channels. Now all I have to do is open a new file from template and hit the record button. I use the SL to mix everything up and Reaper to tweak it.
fitz, im also on a studiolive 16. just got it. took a day to get over the firewall driver on my win7. now im up and ready to learn this thing. studio one seems cool but im not seeing the 3rd party vst's in list, and think to myself reaper is the truth! ive been working on reaper for a couple months now and its the daw for me. no need to learn another. been threw ableton, sonar, logic (second best imo), pro tools and cubase. im a reaper user now. anyway haveing a little ruff time routing reaper to sl 16. could i take a look at your template? i would be very grateful.
ivoryviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Lawrence

Quote:
not seeing the 3rd party vst's in list
Yeah, they won't be available in that version.

Anyway, they recently made a smaller less expensive version of the Studio Live, the 16.0.2...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL1602/
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Fitzhb

Here is a copy of my template so you can see how I have it hooked up. Been using it a while now and has been fantastic. Let me know if you have any issues
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Volta Ave Recordings.RPP (11.0 KB, 799 views)
Fitzhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
kirk

Fitzhb,
Could I ask you some questions please? I just bought the 16.4.2 and have had problems understanding how to use it with Reaper. I set SL up with 6 aux sends to the inserts in 3 seperate head phone amps in the studio. When I first tried to drop a file in Reaper it wouldn't play out through the auxes into the headphones even though I had input into SL. What I wound up doing was creating template with 16 audio tracks and 16 buss tracks and routing the outputs of the buss tracks back to studio live.I also made sends from the audio tracks to each corresponding buss. In the master instead of having 2 channels I used 40 or more than enough to cover all the outputs(don't know if this is right or not).Have you ever tried to do this? And if so how? It seems to work OK But I haven't had a chance to really test it but once. Also do you use the main outs to hook your monitors to or the control room outs?
The idea for this came from the 16.4.2 template in studio one artist that comes with SL. when I load it up everything works through studio One. Also How do you mix back to Reaper thorugh SL. Do you have to create a track in Reaper to do this to? What I'm doing now is just turning all the fat channels off and running SL flat and then mixing in Reaper and rendering it to two track mix. I'm a complete newb to SL and resonably competent with Reaper ,but no expert. Thank you in advance.
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
chuckmarlboro

Just got off the phone with presonus. Im looking to get the 16 channel live. With reaper being such a light program in size, im going to be using the soundboard live, and sending a firewire to reaper on my laptop (after i purchase a pci express firewire) You can send the processed signals or dry signals to reaper using pre and past faders. I know the presonus live mixer has some essentials, but im prob going to be building my template in reaper and sending dry signals. i'll post after im more familiar,
chuckmarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Unclejambo

I own one and have it installed at a local venue so it's mostly used live.

Did some pre-production for a mates band on it the other week, recording everything pre-processing but creating a mix on the desk for shits and giggles in the control room. Truth is the desks eq, comps and in this instance, reverbs sounded great so I wound up recording the main outs for the band to take away that night.

I was able to route the captured tracks back through the corresponding desk channels so the processing was applied. However I wasn't able to re-capture each individual track post processing as I'd hoped hence resorting to capturing the left and right. It worked in this case but I've made a feature request on the presonus forum here...

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/20958.page

I'd still probably always resort to reaper for some of the more intricate things like gating and the odd "magic" plugin but for all the cpu strain I could avoid using desk processing I'm really impressed.
Unclejambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Unclejambo

I should probably mention that it is possible to route playback channels to the desk, then route those channels to auxes or groups to record back into the DAW but it just seems a ball-ache and a tad counter-intuitive!
Unclejambo is offline   Reply With Quote