Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
Omni
Human being with feelings

Default Auto-select appropriate MIDI Channel when selecting a MIDI Track?

I'm experimenting with a multi-instrument in Kontakt. I'm using Session Strings and want to have the Basses=Channel 1, Cellos=Channel 2, Violas=Channel 3, and Violins=Channel 4. I set up the MIDI Editor to display all tracks. I can select the desired track to edit, but the channel in the editor doesn't change. So I'm editing the right midi track but can't hear the audio if I'm say editing a Violin's upper register and the Bass Channel (1) is selected. I have to change the channel when I change which track to view.

Is there any setting somewhere that will let me automatically change MIDI Channels in the editor when I select a different track?
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Reaper itself doesn't have such an option, as it has no concept of a track assigned to a MIDI channel. The normal way to deal with it is to transform the event's channel of a track on the way to their destination. You could do that via a send or by using a plugin between the track's content and the receiving instrument. That way it doesn't matter which channel you are using on the track, all events will be transformed to the desired MIDI channel.

Another way, much closer to what you are thinking of, is juliansader's script
"js_Option - Switching active take sets channel for new events to channel of existing events.lua", available with ReaPack.

Quoting the author:
Quote:
...from the script's Description:
To find the channel, the script will first search through the newly active take to find MIDI events with usable channel info. If no such MIDI events are found (for example if the take is still empty) the script will search through other takes in the same track.

If no MIDI events are found anywhere in the track, the script will check whether the track has any MIDI sends, and will use the MIDI destination channel of the sends, if any.

(Therefore, by setting a MIDI send channel before drawing new MIDI events in the track, the send channel will act as the default channel for MIDI events in the track.)
Haven't tried it much, but thus far it does it's magic very nicely.

OT:
It's only just today that I took a jump into trying ReaPack, gotta say it's a fantastic and easy to use tool (from a user's perspective) for script/plugin distribution and there's sooo many script gems in there. Just WOW!
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Omni

Default Thanks so much!

The built in "JS: MIDI Router/Transpose" did the trick! I set the MIDI tracks to All Channels, and use the router to push them into 1-4 respectively. Now I can just click on the track in the MIDI Track List, and the keyboard will trigger the proper multi-instrument. Just what I wanted.

I downloaded ReaPack. Looks pretty huge. It'll take a while to sift through.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Default You're welcome :)

Great!

Myself I use sends (set them to send MIDI [All]=>[target channel], but either way does the trick.

Yep. ReaPack is huge. Good thing that one can install just the stuff one is interested in and thinks can be swallowed at a time. For now I loaded "only" juliansader's MIDI scripts, which are nothing short from pure awesomeness. Even those are far too much for a day

Have fun!
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default can someone please explain channel routing basics to a simpleton?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni View Post
The built in "JS: MIDI Router/Transpose" did the trick! I set the MIDI tracks to All Channels, and use the router to push them into 1-4 respectively. Now I can just click on the track in the MIDI Track List, and the keyboard will trigger the proper multi-instrument. Just what I wanted.

I downloaded ReaPack. Looks pretty huge. It'll take a while to sift through.
Hi, can you explain (to a newb') how this is setup?

I'm hoping to do something similar (not in Konktakt).

Do you only need one JS instance, one config?
Do you configure any shortcuts to activate, or behaviour (re on selected tracks)?

Are your midi instruments in individual midi channels (and how does the router help you achieve your goal)?

Sorry for interrogating, but I really wanna get this!
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote