Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Panic
Human being with feelings

Default Answered my own question

answered my own question. but for anyone who gets curious:

It was about incorporating a live mic'd/played snare and hihat while programming the rest of the drums.

Last edited by Panic; 09-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Stu

I have seen and heard this done before, in my opinion (and if your budget will allow) you'd be better off buying a ride cymbal rather than a snare - the cymbals are often the biggest give-away that drums are programmed provided you are already using a good sample library. Adding real cymbals to programmed kick/snare/toms takes a bit of practice to get right even for a decent drummer, but it does add a layer of realism that is hard to attain with samples alone. Of course you have to be careful to record them in a way that fits well with the other sounds, and have the right mics etc to do that.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have seen and heard this done before, in my opinion (and if your budget will allow) you'd be better off buying a ride cymbal rather than a snare - the cymbals are often the biggest give-away that drums are programmed provided you are already using a good sample library. Adding real cymbals to programmed kick/snare/toms takes a bit of practice to get right even for a decent drummer, but it does add a layer of realism that is hard to attain with samples alone. Of course you have to be careful to record them in a way that fits well with the other sounds, and have the right mics etc to do that.
Thanks Stu. didn't think anyone was going to comment. thought it through a little more and pretty much answered it for myself.

The main impetus is that there is some snare stuff I'd like to do that I'm finding difficult to get away with using samples. Playing in a real snare would solve this, plus it would probably be quicker than programming even if I could get what I wanted with samples.

So, from that point, worth it for the snare, I think. I'll have to think about the HH, though. Also, going to consider what you said about a ride cymbal too. A good set of Cymbals would make swells and those sorts of things easier to do.

hmmm...but then there is fitting it all together sonically...and the cost involved. Be cheaper to upgrade to BFD3, which I'll probably do anyway.

Well, thanks.

Last edited by Panic; 09-13-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote