Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
REAmix
Human being with feelings

Default Item properties button on and off? Why?

What's the difference between the on and off properties button for items? I'm not sure how properties can be "on". To me, that's just a button you press to open the properties dialog.

I thought it would just be the button that would show while the properties window is open, but I just drag and dropped a number of media files into reaper, and they all display the "properties on" button image.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
swiiscompos

It means that Reaper is resampling the audio in real time. You can see it if you hover the mouse over the icon.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
vanhaze

Open Reaper Preferences > Appearance > Media.

There are 2 settings related to Item Properties buttons, under the section "Media item buttons"
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
REAmix

Ok, sweet, thx guys. That explains why I never came across it before.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
REAmix

What is the fastest way to resample them to project sample rate? I would have thought that would have been found in the properties dialog, which is why it would have a different icon, but I can't seem to find the right setting.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
karbomusic

If you already have files that are at the project sample rate, then for the ones that aren't I suppose glue might be the fastest, just check the media conversion settings in project settings first.

If you don't have any files that are already at the project sample rate, just change the project sample rate in project settings.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you already have files that are at the project sample rate, then for the ones that aren't I suppose glue might be the fastest, just check the media conversion settings in project settings first.

If you don't have any files that are already at the project sample rate, just change the project sample rate in project settings.
Thanks. I tried gluing, but it kept the sample rate the same. Or at least, the properties button that indicated that it was doing sample conversion stayed lit.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
Thanks. I tried gluing, but it kept the sample rate the same. Or at least, the properties button that indicated that it was doing sample conversion stayed lit.
Hmm.. not seeing that happen here. Notice the two items on track 2 show the sample rate is 44.1k in a 48k project, then when I glue it converts to 48k which is the same rate as it is in project settings. Also note the illuminated properties button is no longer illuminated.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
REAmix

Quote:
Hmm.. not seeing that happen here. Notice the two items on track 2 show the sample rate is 44.1k in a 48k project, then when I glue it converts to 48k which is the same rate as it is in project settings. Also note the illuminated properties button is no longer illuminated.

Maybe it only works for upsampling then. Because in my project it's the opposite. I have 48k files in a 44.1 project.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
karbomusic

I didn't take the time to make another animated GIF but a quick test shows it works in both directions. By 44.1k project you do mean in project settings, not device settings correct?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
REAmix

Quote:
I didn't take the time to make another animated GIF but a quick test shows it works in both directions. By 44.1k project you do mean in project settings, not device settings correct?
That's odd. I don't know what could be different over here then. Project is at 44. Files at 48. Gluing changfes nothing for me. Maybe there's another setting that needs to be different as well or something.