Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
DistinctIsMe
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin Alliance VST's crashing Reaper on load

I purchased a few PA plugins this past week. They worked fine for a few days, but now when I try to open projects that contain them, it crashes Reaper right after loading. I tried to do a fresh reinstall of all PA plugins as well as Reaper and it's still happening.

Here's the error that I get from Reaper:

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 5.4.0.0
Application Timestamp: 58d45081
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23677
Fault Module Timestamp: 589c99e1
Exception Code: c0000008
Exception Offset: 00000000000c8078
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9f62
Additional Information 2: 9f628fc287c54be66098f72d58b19269
Additional Information 3: 911d
Additional Information 4: 911de714ced82ef274aeb213a65f1268
And another window pops up as well:

Quote:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_host32.exe
abnormal program termination
I tried all of the different compatibility/dedicated process options to make sure that wasn't the problem and Reaper was still crashing. When I completely uninstall all PA plugins my sessions load up fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--- SYSTEM ------------------------
Host: cockos_reaper v5.40
Audio Interface: Onyx Blackbird Firewire
Plugin: Plugin Alliance 64bit
DistinctIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Judders

That is the plugin bridge for 32bit plugins.

Looks like you might be running the 32bit versions of your PA plugs.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
DistinctIsMe

that's the strange thing...I only installed the 64bit versions of the PA plugs
Old 04-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
Judders

Ooh, weird.

Sorry, I've not used them on PC, so we'll have to wait for a Windows person to solve this.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
DistinctIsMe

no problem, thanks for tryin
Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Judders

...and it's only PA plugins you're using?

It would be worth starting a totally new project and loading them up one by one with the task manager open, then you might spot which one is opening the bridge.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
karbomusic

Well that's odd. The other reason for bridging is the plugin crashing doesn't take reaper down, only the reaper VST host so not sure why both Reaper and the VST host crashed. In the VST compatibility settings, there is an option to always bridge as an FYI which is to act as a process firewall for all VSTs regardless of bitness mismatches but that shouldn't show the 32 bit host in the dump report if that was what was happening.

FWIW that error c0000008 = Invalid Handle, not sure if that handle is to/from the VST host and Reaper or between the VST host and the plugin.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
DistinctIsMe

so I can't seem to duplicate this problem anymore in other sessions after a computer restart.

I've narrowed it down to bx_hybrid being the culprit. Once the corrupted session crashes, all other sessions crash while opening if bx_hybrid has to be loaded. But if I restart my computer, all of my other sessions open fine as long as I don't open the corrupt session first.

So, I moved the bx_hybrid 64bit dll out of my vst folder so that the session loads the 32bit version instead. All of the sudden the corrupted session works now.

Very strange. Now I'm not in panic mode because I can get into my client's work, but I would still like to figure out what the issue is because this is the 2nd time that it's happened to me. The first time it was caused by bx_opto. One of their plug-ins will randomly corrupt a session and then that specific session is forever screwed until I replace the culprit plug-in.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
DistinctIsMe

If anyone else runs into this problem, Plugin Alliance's solution is to have me install Legacy versions of their plugins. :-/
Old 10-20-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
morelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistinctIsMe View Post
If anyone else runs into this problem, Plugin Alliance's solution is to have me install Legacy versions of their plugins. :-/
So is there any update on this. Big problems here with bx_console and bx_digital. Hard to replace the latter. If I disable these I have no problem but after enabling Reaper crashes brutally within seconds. I contacted PA but they were not particularly helpful and so the problem still exists.
morelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
DistinctIsMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelia View Post
So is there any update on this. Big problems here with bx_console and bx_digital. Hard to replace the latter. If I disable these I have no problem but after enabling Reaper crashes brutally within seconds. I contacted PA but they were not particularly helpful and so the problem still exists.
The only solution given to me was to remove my 64bit PA plugins from my vst folder and allowing Reaper to revert to the 32bit versions of everything. Not ideal, but it worked. If u only have 64bit, let PA know and they'll hook u up with legacy versions of everything.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
morelia

Quote:
The only solution given to me was to remove my 64bit PA plugins from my vst folder and allowing Reaper to revert to the 32bit versions of everything. Not ideal, but it worked. If u only have 64bit, let PA know and they'll hook u up with legacy versions of everything.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a go. Pretty crappy to have to resort to 32 bit though. I wish they could just fix the problem.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #13
DistinctIsMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelia View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a go. Pretty crappy to have to resort to 32 bit though. I wish they could just fix the problem.
I agree.. I put up a fight and they weren't willing to really offer an explanation. I actually dealt with a similair issue with UAD powered plugins too and there was no solution offered there either because Reaper isn't listed as a supported DAW. I would never switch to Protools, but this kind of stuff makes it hard to argue against the Protools fanboys lol.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:18 AM   #14
DarkStar

Quote:
That's not a good move - presumably those legacy version have fewer features / more bugs? Do the 64-bit PA plug-ins work OK in other hosts? Or do PA need to do some deep investigation?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #15
DistinctIsMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That's not a good move - presumably those legacy version have fewer features / more bugs? Do the 64-bit PA plug-ins work OK in other hosts? Or do PA need to do some deep investigation?
Yeah that's why I just went with the 32bit versions instead of Legacy.

The 64bit versions do work in other DAWs so their attitude is that it's Reaper's problem to figure out.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:35 AM   #16
morelia

Quote:
Yeah that's why I just went with the 32bit versions instead of Legacy.

The 64bit versions do work in other DAWs so their attitude is that it's Reaper's problem to figure out.
Same here, went with the 32 bit option (which has the project up and running for now). Also got the same response from PA. I pushed back a bit but they were pretty obtuse about the issue. Eventually someone more palatable stepped in to offer some guidance but the outcome was still not a solution. DistinctIsMe got further than I did by being told to revert to historical releases for a solution. There are a few developers that seem to be accepting Reaper as a significant number of customers but I guess when you have a problem to fix it's easier to just put it in the not supported list.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 AM   #17
sisaso

I use PA plugins in Reaper for some time without any problems. I feel this kind of thread is misleading, giving the impression that reaper does not work with the plugins of a major market player.
When installing a PA plugin you are asked to select the format. I select 64 Bit VST3 and as I said it is working flawlessly.

Last edited by sisaso; 10-22-2017 at 03:51 AM.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:13 AM   #18
morelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
I use PA plugins in Reaper for some time without any problems. I feel this kind of thread is misleading, giving the impression that reaper does not work with the plugins of a major market player.
When installing a PA plugin you are asked to select the format. I select 64 Bit VST3 and as I said it is working flawlessly.
We have a problem. PA don't seem to care. I think the thread title and content pretty clearly express that the issue is considered to be with PA and not Reaper. That's how I feel anyway. How else should the issue be presented?

Last edited by morelia; 10-22-2017 at 04:29 AM.