Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default Microphone stands (brands / quality).

So pro-line stands are the worst. Latch Lake are awesome, but too big for my needs. Is there a Latch Lake quality stand that comes in a normal size? Right now Atlas is the reigning champ for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on mic stands. I'm ready to get rid of a lot of my shit stands and buy one more nice stand. I'm willing to spend up to $150 for it.

What I really wish is that they would make a stand that has the boom joint and the telescoping part of the base as one piece. The female threads seem to strip out on me all the time. I Have a couple Atlas stands, but only proline booms. I HIGHLY advise against getting anything made by proline. There's a Gibraltar boom that is like 10$ more than the proline one. It looks like the winner as far as "I need a boom for cheap" goes. Here's my thoughts currently if you're in the market:

Proline
Avoid at all costs. The female threads strip and the bolt that holds the telescoping boom in place has no twist strength, only in/out strength.

On-Stage
Better than proline by a very small amount.

Gibraltar boom
Never used, but based on the reviews I would probably take one for a spin if I was on a budget.

DR stands
I think these have a phenomenal cost/quality ratio. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a budget stand. I think they are just great for the money.

K&M
- I don't hate them, but am not overly impressed by these. They last a while but aren't exactly bullet proof. I might still recommend DR over K&M. I don't think the quality difference is that huge.

Atlas
Currently the best I've used besides Latch Lake. Everything feels extra sturdy and I've had 2 Atlas stands for about 12 years and they are working as good as the day I got them.

Latch Lake
These are totally amazing in every way, but I don't need anything this big.

Ultimate support - I know nothing about these at all. I hear mixed things about them and their serviceability. Why would you tell me that something is 80% serviceable but not tell me which parts are serviceable?! There's only so many parts that are prone to go bad...

Other brands I haven't tried:
Hurcules, Stageline, Neumann, Hosa, Shure, Gator, Goldline, AKG, Anchor, Audix, VU, Galaxy Audio,

I recently stumbled across these guys:
Triad-Orbit http://www.triad-orbit.com/
These look potentially like our new masters in mic stands. Now, I'm only judging by photos but the quality and features on these look simply staggering. Even the price, all things considered, is something I'd be fine with. For a piece of gear that is generally frustrating I don't mind paying a little more for the one that solves all the frustrations. If it's in the budget this summer I shall be picking up the orbit 2. Check it out here: http://www.triad-orbit.com/orbit2

I'm not sure if anyone is selling them besides fullcompass.com at the moment.

*Edit*
After checking out all the videos I almost regret finding them. I will probably be obsessed with acquiring an ORBIT 2 now...
videos: https://www.youtube.com/triadorbit
(the fullcompass playlist demos all the products nicely)

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any other brands that most of the big-box stores don't carry. I know I have seen some smaller companies make mic stands but I never wrote down the name or put their site in my favorites.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 06-23-2013 at 10:55 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote