Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Admiral Quality
Human being with feelings

Default All Admiral Quality plugins 55% off til year-end! SCAMP giveaway contest!

(Update: All AQ products are 55% off until year-end and we're giving away 10 SCAMP filter plugins on Facebook. See our website for details.

http://www.admiralquality.com/ )

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm not sure what the policy on this board is about "spam", so if this isn't okay admins can feel free to delete the thread and let me know and it won't happen again.

I just wanted to update the Reaper community of some recent news. If you haven't tried our Poly-Ana VA soft-synth in a while, now's a great time to give her another spin. We've recently made a bunch of much requested changes, including adding a Custom Skinning system. There are currently 5 alternate skins to choose from (and many different color variations) with looks ranging from modern, to vintage, to trashed-out, with more to come soon. (If you're a graphic artist, see our Skin to Win contest details on the Skins page.)

http://www.admiralquality.com/produc...a/skins.php?cr

And during this recent 1.30 Back-to-Beta period, we're offering Poly-Ana at 25% off the regular price. We're only expect one more update in this Beta period, which will finish off the work-in-progress new Anti-Aliasing feature, which works in combination with the oversampling (Quality) feature that's always been a big part of Poly-Ana's convincing virtual analog sound that really cuts through the mix like most other VAs don't.

Some other much-requested changes and additions we've made in recent years include:

- A new portable key-file system. No more C/R and needing to request new keys when you change machines! You asked, we listened!

- Full OS X support, 32 and 64 bit, AU and VST. Ditto!

- Upgrade Protection Policy: Now when you purchase a license it's good through the next major version number as well, so it's always a good time to buy. (And we've been at version 1.x for over 9 years now anyway, so our customers are getting excellent, long-term value. We're not interested in making existing customers buy it again like so many other companies do. We want NEW customers!)

I love Reaper, it's my go-to host, and Poly-Ana and Reaper play very nice together. (Actually, I'm not currently aware of any bugs in ANY hosts. It's a very mature and well tested product at this point. See our Changes list to see how well maintained and grown this product is been over the years. http://www.admiralquality.com/produc...es.php#changes )

Here's just a few of the new skins you can choose from:

"Wide SEM" by AQ

"Moderne" by Limeflavour

"Dusk" by Hoverland

100% Poly-Ana, even the drums...

https://soundcloud.com/the-unshushab...but-also-dance

Last edited by Admiral Quality; 11-15-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Admiral Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
ivansc

Interesting...
Strictly speaking this should go one forum area further up in general/spam trap, which was created in part for commercial announcements.
Doesnt really make it obvious in the title though, does it?

I shall have an explore later.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Interesting...
Strictly speaking this should go one forum area further up in general/spam trap, which was created in part for commercial announcements.
Doesnt really make it obvious in the title though, does it?

I shall have an explore later.
Yeah, it's labeled "do not post here". Maybe this thread will get deemed spam by the admins and moved there.

Sorry if I broke any rules!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:41 AM   #4
ivansc

HaHa! I had gotten so used to the commercial folks posting in there I had entirely forgotten its original purpose!
And no big deal at all. You were very polite and made nice in your initial post, which is pretty much all anyone can expect.
You would be amazed at the sense of entitlement some companies arriving here have...

I tend to kneejerk a bit over this sort of stuff, mostly because of the never-ending sea of junkmail real and virtual that I am bombarded with.
At least you aren`t offering to increase the size of my pianist....
Old 10-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
At least you aren`t offering to increase the size of my pianist....
So all of those emails DO have a misspelled word...I have been wondering that for years!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Admiral Quality

Ha! Nope. Just a hopefully on-topic announcement for my fellow Reaper users.

I've also seen Poly-Ana mentioned a few times here and I wanted to clear up some myths and/or stuff people may not have been aware has been added over the years. She's come a long way, baby. Try her again for the first time! (Okay, NOW this sounds like spam! )
Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #7
richie43

Is the offer still going? It's been much longer than 5 hours, and I am interested......
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
The Telenator
Banned

Too Many Knobs. Way too many knobs. Gives me a headache at just to look at this synth.

But at least he got rid of the ridiculous, gross over-perspective this monstrosity used to have.

Imagine having to view both simultaneously: grossly weird perspective AND 7 million stupid knobs.

Yes, it's spam, but the synth is more annoying to me than the fact that this is just a blatant ADVERTISEMENT and doesn't belong here.

Oh, and if that's not enough, the sound of this is unfortunately not very standout or interesting, either. I have to rate it a touch below run-of-the-mill.

Sorry for being so blunt, but better than playing politically correct and outright lying to anyone, right?
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Is the offer still going? It's been much longer than 5 hours, and I am interested......
I can't seem to PM you. Email us at sales@admiralquality.com and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Too Many Knobs. Way too many knobs. Gives me a headache at just to look at this synth.

But at least he got rid of the ridiculous, gross over-perspective this monstrosity used to have.

Imagine having to view both simultaneously: grossly weird perspective AND 7 million stupid knobs.

Yes, it's spam, but the synth is more annoying to me than the fact that this is just a blatant ADVERTISEMENT and doesn't belong here.

Oh, and if that's not enough, the sound of this is unfortunately not very standout or interesting, either. I have to rate it a touch below run-of-the-mill.

Sorry for being so blunt, but better than playing politically correct and outright lying to anyone, right?
Got rid of? I never break or remove any established feature. A lot of people love the original GUI. (And a lot hate it, I know. That's why you can have any GUI you want now. Including the original which is still built in if you don't supply a Custom Skin folder.)

I'd recommend L'il Poly-Ana, the preset-player "Lite" version, but if you hate the sound there's no point. Plenty of others love it though. "Almost every synth" on this is Poly-Ana, so it seems to be useful for something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHStqbHnfhg
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
The Telenator
Banned

Now you've gone and done The Big One: You put words in my mouth. I can tolerate a fairly uninteresting sounding synth; I can sometimes put up with ADVERTISEMENT in my favourite internet forum; but I don't put up with people being untruthful by putting words in peoples' mouths that they never said.

NOTE: I did not say I "hated" the synth. Go read my post again and then bugger off. You ought to be grateful that you haven't had your stinkin' ADVERT pulled and deleted already.

BTW, you posted your (and I knew you would quickly as hell) response mere milliseconds after I hit Submit Reply. What you doing, riding all the forums where you posted your ADVERT threads? At least have a little self-restraint. Yeah, it's not so much your synth I really dislike ...
Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Now you've gone and done The Big One: You put words in my mouth. I can tolerate a fairly uninteresting sounding synth; I can sometimes put up with ADVERTISEMENT in my favourite internet forum; but I don't put up with people being untruthful by putting words in peoples' mouths that they never said.

NOTE: I did not say I "hated" the synth. Go read my post again and then bugger off. You ought to be grateful that you haven't had your stinkin' ADVERT pulled and deleted already.

BTW, you posted your (and I knew you would quickly as hell) response mere milliseconds after I hit Submit Reply. What you doing, riding all the forums where you posted your ADVERT threads? At least have a little self-restraint. Yeah, it's not so much your synth I really dislike ...
And I didn't mis-quote you. I was simply paraphrasing what I understood you to be saying. In fact, I didn't even suggest you hate it. I merely said "if you hate the sound...".

And yes, I happen to be sitting at the computer starting my work day, catching up on emails, and this forum emails me when there's a new post. I apologize for my promptness in replying as well as for my product that you don't hate yet apparently angers you so.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
richie43

No product is for everyone. Developers know this, and we consumers know this. No problem as far as I am concerned. If this is not the right place for this thread, the admins would move it and/or notify the OP...so no problem there either. Relax Telenator, maybe you need more coffee...?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
James HE

Quote:

He didn't put words in your mouth.

Only thing in your mouth is your own damn foot... No need for the hate, man's just just trying to make a living you know. chill.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
Luxmaji

Quote:

Someone on the internet grossly overreacting... that's a first.

L
Luxmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #16
sostenuto

Geez, my neighbor was a United 747 Captain and he doesn't find the GUI all that intimidating !

Rainy weekends get people a bit cranky sometimes ...
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
bladerunner

Quote:

...and he's off again.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #18
richie43

Hey Mr plugin dev...Can't you just simplify all of those knobs and make your plugins more realistic, like real hardware?!?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
Admiral Quality

And best of all, they're monophonic!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #20
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Quality View Post
WHAT?????
With all of those knobs and only ONE note at a time??? That's a travesty....... lol
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
bladerunner

Quote:
Hey Mr plugin dev...
I want a really complex synth but with no knobs on it. In fact I don't even want an interface. It has to do everything, without giving me headache, and not be gross or a monstrosity. Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #22
Lawrence

The more knobs the better. See the Vegas chorus lines.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #23
ivansc

Old School, baby.
I had to build my first synth from scratch AND keep it stable with the notorious `hairdryer round the back` trick.
"and we LOVED it....."

P.S. I died in 2 world wars for you
Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #24
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I want a really complex synth but with no knobs on it. In fact I don't even want an interface. It has to do everything, without giving me headache, and not be gross or a monstrosity. Thanks

"Oh, just enhance EVERYTHING!"
Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #25
bladerunner

Quote:

"Oh, just enhance EVERYTHING!"
Excellent posting form sir. Chapeau
Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
Doc Brown

The original GUI looked like R2-D2 threw up on the screen but the skins make it way more appealing to me.

I downloaded the demo at one point and the sound was very analogish and rich. At the time the GUI was too much for me.

I'll try to download again with a different skin.

Congrats on a nice sounding synth with a ton of mod routings.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Yea, let's now consider spending two days to get some killer sound only to lose it when the need to create some other sound arises. I only had a lowly Arp Axxe that we used live and it was a near crapshoot to accurately move from sound A to sound B between songs.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #28
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yea, let's now consider spending two days to get some killer sound only to lose it when the need to create some other sound arises. I only had a lowly Arp Axxe that we used live and it was a near crapshoot to accurately move from sound A to sound B between songs.
I played in a band that had a synth player who used only old-school analog, including a Mini-Moog...I know all about the crap-shoot.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #29
karbomusic

Quote:
I played in a band that had a synth player who used only old-school analog, including a Mini-Moog...I know all about the crap-shoot.
Speaking of walking to school up hill both ways. I was digging through and old filing cabinet the other night and found a stack of blank "Track sheets" God forbid. I wonder how many remember having to pencil in hundreds of settings from a console that is going to be zeroed out and needs to be manually set up when it's your session again. Hell I wonder how many remember what "zeroed out" means and what an RTZ button is.

I also wonder just how many hours of my life have been spent waiting on REW/FFW - squiggly, squeak squeak.., flap, flap, flap, flap.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #30
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Speaking of walking to school up hill both ways. I was digging through and old filing cabinet the other night and found a stack of blank "Track sheets" God forbid. I wonder how many remember having to pencil in hundreds of settings from a console that is going to be zeroed out and needs to be manually set up when it's your session again. Hell I wonder how many remember what "zeroed out" means and what an RTZ button is.

I also wonder just how many hours of my life have been spent waiting on REW/FFW - squiggly, squeak squeak.., flap, flap, flap, flap.
Remember these?

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland...6/juno-106.jpg
Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
Wow, yes. My keyboard player in another life/band had a Juno.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #32
richie43

Quote:
Now I know I will have nightmares tonight....lol
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #33
Admiral Quality

I can't say I ever used one of those patch recording sheets that came in the back of some synth manuals (you were expected to photocopy them to make more) but I definitely did mark control positions with grease pencils on my Moog/Realistic MG-1 Concertmate and Roland SH-101.

Even though they were both relatively simple voice architectures that I knew inside-out, it's still far too easy to get frazzled in the 5 seconds the other band members give you between songs on stage, so I'd do that to idiot proof it. Only worked for a couple of patches though as I only had two colored pencils, and it would just get too messy if I tried more than that anyway.

Then there's the Yamaha CS-80 with a little hatch that opens up to expose a tiny version of the front panel to store your one other patch in. Even in 1983 I laughed the first time I saw that in the music store!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #34
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
... apparently angers you so.
Didn't say I was angry, either.

Look, you've done the same thing at least once a year on any forum where you've been able to get away with it. We don't have other synth/VST dev/owners put threads here every or any time they have a sale. It's almost unheard of. If actual forum members (and I don't mean those who start accounts just to push their product) want to post some gear or software they like, then that's their business.

Look, I'm sorry your synth is a dog and does not sell. The ones who do actually like your synth I can count on one hand. You start these threads to push your synth, then you ride them vigorously. Any comment in the negative on any forum, you post the 'some love it - some hate it' response almost instantly. I bet you have that already typed, saved and ready to fire. They barely put up with you on your own home forum; what do you expect elsewhere?

Again, be grateful someone hasn't reported it as pure SPAM, which it is.

To any not in the know about this -- this was no over-reaction. He does this whenever he needs some cash. You really don't see our real forum members doing this much at all (trying to sell their own goods here). And many of us could, but most of us know better.

i should probably expect his rebutt in mere seconds ...
Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #35
bladerunner

Quote:
Look, I'm sorry your synth is a dog and does not sell. The ones who do actually like your synth I can count on one hand.
This is just waaay off base... waaaaay off base. Poly-Ana is one of those synths that was way, way ahead when it first hit but, for some reason, many seemed to ignore it. A bit like Vaz, KarmaFX and one or two others. It should be up there with all the big hyped synths that have much bigger marketing - u-he/aturia/blah blah etc. but it isn't because it isn't super hyped like those (sometimes overrated) other synths. People still need to be told how to think, what to buy, who to worship - if AQ had huge money to throw into marketing there would doubtless be huge forum threads about how great it is and how you should all be using it.

Quote:
Again, be grateful someone hasn't reported it as pure SPAM, which it is.
This depends on how you draw lines with spam. I personally think that the occasional heads up from small companies is not really spam. I think, for small companies, there should be a sense of community and support from places like this. I occasionally post threads about my work - I would quite upset if someone got on their high horse about spam when we're talking about businesses that make barely little than dole money in some cases. I think we should all help each other where possible.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #36
karbomusic

Looks like a good six months passed before this series of posts which seems reasonable. A couple other devs post similarly which I don't mind, Hornet comes to mind. I've never actually heard of Poly-Ana that I remember so I'm kind of glad I saw it here. I don't need another one just yet but I'll remember this one because I like that style of modular synth.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #37
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:

This depends on how you draw lines with spam.
Someone who NEVER posts here unless it is pushing his products.

Someone who adds no real value to the forum in any other way. I could go on and on.

Hey, you want every turkey with something to SELL posting here? You'll have 30 F'ing threads a week or maybe a dozen a day doing just that. At least we DO something about SPAM here.

It's an ADVERT, pure and simple, which makes it SPAM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #38
bladerunner

Quote:
Someone who adds no real value to the forum in any other way. I could go on and on.
But it does add value - it lets people know about a great synth that's on sale for a short time from a small dev. I think that's reasonable and relevant to this forum. Obviously, if it was every week or something then it would be different.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #39
Admiral Quality

Quote:
Someone who NEVER posts here unless it is pushing his products.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...43#post1186543

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...48#post1135248

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...713#post997713

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...228#post892228

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...368#post878368

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...038#post878038

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...489#post877489

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...834#post875834

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...583#post875583

Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #40
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
But it does add value - it lets people know about a great synth that's on sale for a short time from a small dev. I think that's reasonable and relevant to this forum. Obviously, if it was every week or something then it would be different.
no, it's an ADVERT and it belongs in the SPAM catcher (like all the others).

I'm not going to argue this further. Allow this? Then allow all ADVERTS. Your choice, think about it.