Old 10-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Dobly
Human being with feelings

Default USB Multitrack output

I am putting together some backing tracks to be used by my band. And I'm looking to use a laptop and Reaper to play back the tracks.

Reason being that want all the tracks to got to separate channels on the mixing desk.

I also want the click track to come out separately so I can send that out to a headphone amp and to my cans (I'm the drummer)

I've searched the forums but have not found what I am looking for. I don't care about recording interfaces with mic preamps and other such stuff. I'm interested in playback. I need a Reaper -> USB to 8 channel (4 in a pinch) separate outputs. Does such a device exist? I want to specify in reaper which track goes to which output channel. I'm sure the later is possible, I just don't know what type of device I need for this.

Last edited by Dobly; 10-05-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Dobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Stews

Any audio interface with 8 outputs will work fine. Not sure you'll be able to find one without any inputs though.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:23 AM   #3
ivansc

I have a babyface which has an ADAT I/O. I have on occasion borrowed one of the studio machine`s 2 Focusrite Octopres to get an extra 8 I/O.
Behringer ADA8000 would do the same.
Not a cheap alternative but it WILL work and work well.
There are other USB interfaces out there that have ADAT I/O which is likely to be cheaper than trying to find a USB interface with even as few as 4 outs that will work how you want.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
Stews

Tascam us-16x08 will give you 8 outs without having to go any ADAT route.

M-Audio M-Track Eight is another.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
msmucr

Default Cymatic LP16

Check Cymatic LP16..
http://www.cymaticaudio.com/products/live-player-lp16
It can work as a standalone player from USB stick or as a USB interface..
Audio quality isn't greatest, it features unbalanced outs, but it is IMO absolutely sufficient for live use (as I have chance to hear it on few shows, which were done by my friends).

Anyway.. for reliable live use, I would be very cautious about proper system setup of notebook..
IME most of folks, who does this more often and I know, usually ended with either MacBook or dedicated PC (eg. without internet stuff, antivirus, daily use programs) and some more expensive cards like RME..
But of course, it is difference if one uses it as a less demanding player for backing tracks or for some live sampler triggered by some controllers (or generally for hosting of virtual instruments) or possibly as a realtime effect machine.

Michal
Old 10-06-2015, 03:12 AM   #6
Dobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Behringer ADA8000 would do the same.
Not a cheap alternative but it WILL work and work well.
There are other USB interfaces out there that have ADAT I/O which is likely to be cheaper than trying to find a USB interface with even as few as 4 outs that will work how you want.
The laptop I have for this project only has USB out. The Behringer ADA8000 has no USB in. But it does have ADAT.

Is it feasible to get some sort of USB to ADAT interface. And even
if I could would the system be too complex to get detected by Windows and Reaper?
Old 10-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
Dobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
Tascam us-16x08 will give you 8 outs without having to go any ADAT route.

M-Audio M-Track Eight is another.
The Tascam looks like it might do the trick. Has way to many inputs for my needs, but has 8 output and USB in.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:53 AM   #8
Dobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Anyway.. for reliable live use, I would be very cautious about proper system setup of notebook..
IME most of folks, who does this more often and I know, usually ended with either MacBook or dedicated PC (eg. without internet stuff, antivirus, daily use programs) and some more expensive cards like RME..
But of course, it is difference if one uses it as a less demanding player for backing tracks or for some live sampler triggered by some controllers (or generally for hosting of virtual instruments) or possibly as a realtime effect machine.

Michal
Understood Michal.. This laptop is getting an 250GB SSD in a few days and fresh install of Windows 10. Then I'll be removing useless apps and checking which running services I can do without. It needs to be lean and clean.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:07 AM   #9
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobly View Post
Understood Michal.. This laptop is getting an 250GB SSD in a few days and fresh install of Windows 10. Then I'll be removing useless apps and checking which running services I can do without. It needs to be lean and clean.
Still, Cymatic seems to be quite nice option to me for that particular task.. without all possible hassle with notebook.. Pricewise it is almost same as mentioned budget USB multichannel interfaces - http://goo.gl/UuqW2W
Only disadvantage of running it at this standalone mode is, necessary export track stems to wave files incl. click-track.. But it is very quick to do in Reaper and it can be likely one time process during song preparation..

Michal
Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
Any audio interface with 8 outputs will work fine. Not sure you'll be able to find one without any inputs though.
Yamaha Ro8-D. Plugs directly into LAN socket of any computer. I'm just about getting one myself.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
The laptop I have for this project only has USB out. The Behringer ADA8000 has no USB in. But it does have ADAT.

Is it feasible to get some sort of USB to ADAT interface. And even
if I could would the system be too complex to get detected by Windows and Reaper?
Had you quoted everything I wrote, it would have been evident that the ADAT part plugs into the USB interface part, in other words you buy something like the Babyface that has 2 I/O AND an adat port & the ADA8000 via adat gives you the extra outs (and ins)
depends how good you want it and how reliable.
But as you can see there are other alternatives that dont require an additiona ADAT device.
Good luck.

Oh and you are not very likely to find a device that will give you JUST 8 outputs unless you buy something like that Yamaha Ro8 at 1300 euros, assuming it is available in Australia.... Just saying. It is sometimes cheaper to get more than you need and not use the extra stuff.

Last edited by ivansc; 10-06-2015 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 10-07-2015, 04:04 AM   #12
btodd

You might look at this:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd+/
btodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
ivansc

Wow! I thought of that interface and assumed they were long gone - used to be ESI were up there with the best.
Wonder why they stopped being popular?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #14
serr

Quote:
I am putting together some backing tracks to be used by my band. And I'm looking to use a laptop and Reaper to play back the tracks.

Reason being that want all the tracks to got to separate channels on the mixing desk.

I also want the click track to come out separately so I can send that out to a headphone amp and to my cans (I'm the drummer)

I've searched the forums but have not found what I am looking for. I don't care about recording interfaces with mic preamps and other such stuff. I'm interested in playback. I need a Reaper -> USB to 8 channel (4 in a pinch) separate outputs. Does such a device exist? I want to specify in reaper which track goes to which output channel. I'm sure the later is possible, I just don't know what type of device I need for this.
You could pick up an old Presonus Firebox for under $50 on Ebay.
It has 6 balanced outputs to use.

As others have mentioned, you aren't going to find a budget unit that omits inputs. Just don't use them if you don't want to.

Go with Presonus for low budget. Behringer and M-audio are really ratty cheap.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote