Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Default Changing tempo across song,

I'm trying to change the tempo in order to humanize my song,
very subtle changes like from 99bpm to 100.5bpm gradually changing from verse to chorus and so on, and then back to 99bpm.
I have audio and midi tracks there, I already have my project settings and tracks to follow beats, (position, lenght, rate).

When I insert a tempo marker and proceed to change my tempo like for example in my verse,
the items compress or stretch accordingly, the problem is that the tempo is changed across the whole items from the beggining to end,
I mean, I need the tempo to be changed (stretch or compress) only from that spot to the ending of the song or to the next tempo marker, (to the right)
not the WHOLE items from the beggining. I understand that splitting would solve this issue, but that is a pain in the ass todo.
Isn't there a way to automatically split or add stretch markers to all items in project so that only that point in time is stretch or compress??

I hope I explained my self clear..

Thanks a lot
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
amoretam

nobody here that can help me out?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
jrengmusic

Use REGION?

you can split everything underneath the region with single action.

Last edited by jrengmusic; 10-09-2015 at 12:53 PM.
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
pgee

Add stretch markers in your audio items before changing tempo. If the audio item is set to beats (position, length, rate) timebase then its stretch markers will move accordingly when you change tempo.

If you're not using the "Gradually transition tempo to next marker" for your tempo markers, then just make sure there's a stretch marker in each audio item that the tempo marker passes through. The stretch markers should be at the same position as the tempo markers, and you should add them before adding the tempo marker.

If you're using gradual tempo transitions, then you need to add extra stretch markers to the audio items. I'd put them at regular intervals between the two tempo markers. This is because all tempo changes in audio items are stepwise, not truly gradual. So you need to put in enough stretch markers, so that as the audio rate steps up or down, it's not a big enough step to be noticeable.
pgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgee View Post
Add stretch markers in your audio items before changing tempo. If the audio item is set to beats (position, length, rate) timebase then its stretch markers will move accordingly when you change tempo.

If you're not using the "Gradually transition tempo to next marker" for your tempo markers, then just make sure there's a stretch marker in each audio item that the tempo marker passes through. The stretch markers should be at the same position as the tempo markers, and you should add them before adding the tempo marker.

If you're using gradual tempo transitions, then you need to add extra stretch markers to the audio items. I'd put them at regular intervals between the two tempo markers. This is because all tempo changes in audio items are stepwise, not truly gradual. So you need to put in enough stretch markers, so that as the audio rate steps up or down, it's not a big enough step to be noticeable.
Wow, I never imagined it would be so hard, Imagine placing stretch markers on all of those items!!, I have like 40 tracks running by now, I cannot even imagine how to do that item by item.

Is that how people really do it?
Am I the only one who humanize songs ideas before fully recording the oficial audio tracks??
Because I tought that there was an automatic way to do this.

Thanks a lot
Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
amoretam

nobody here with any understanding of what I am trying to do?

Am I the only one?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Tomm

Try using Playrate:

1. Right click the playrate knob in the trasport and enable "Preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate"

2. Show master track in the TCP (right click empty space or Ctr+Alt+M) and enable the playrate envelope.

3. Draw in subtle +/- playrate variations
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Try using Playrate:

1. Right click the playrate knob in the trasport and enable "Preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate"

2. Show master track in the TCP (right click empty space or Ctr+Alt+M) and enable the playrate envelope.

3. Draw in subtle +/- playrate variations
That is interesting, I did not know we had playrate envelope awesome..... I will try that soon.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
dea-man

If I understand you correctly, might it be that you just don't have an initial tempo set at the beginning of your project?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:52 AM   #10
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
If I understand you correctly, might it be that you just don't have an initial tempo set at the beginning of your project?
Yes I have tempo marker at the beginning.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:11 AM   #11
LugNut

Hi,

Select all items...split them by grid. Insert tempo changes. Just don't put more tempo changes than splits. Or select all items and insert stretch markers at grid. Then insert tc.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #12
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

Select all items...split them by grid. Insert tempo changes. Just don't put more tempo changes than splits. Or select all items and insert stretch markers at grid. Then insert tc.
This is also interesting , thank you so much..

what about midi items, should they be treated the same way, ..?

Thanks a lot