Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Family Ties

My niece just turned 15. She just received Reaper and a very modest setup for Christmas so she can record at home since she has no way to do so otherwise. I finally had her mom drop her off at my studio today so I could give her the grand tour, show her some of the ropes and to help inspire her a bit and pass down some of the art in the family since no one else in the family really gives a crap about music and she seems to have inherited the same interest I had at her age.

Since she has never actually recorded anything... I wanted to drop a few very quick tracks on the spot so she could see how overdubs in Reaper work. Basically, I roughly played a guitar track (including mistakes) while she sang along in the same room into another mic, then I let her overdub a couple quick harmonies.

Don't expect much, just thought I'd share since what little is there was fun to do for the 20 minutes we spent laying the tracks. Nothing fancy, just half a song and a handful of tracks quickly done.

http://karywall.com/music/MK/mk.mp3

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-27-2013 at 12:37 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
morgon

Very nice work Karbo, the kid can really sing too, youre surely considering making a record yes? Originals or combination covers/originals I mean.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Very nice work Karbo, the kid can really sing too, youre surely considering making a record yes?
She left dreamy eyed which I had hoped, as in she's really got the recording bug now (evil plan... muwhaaahaa). I'll surely have her back over some because she deserves to learn from the best. I don't mean me per se, just that she's been reduced to iPhone recordings at talent shows etc, and I'd sure like her to have a good foundation.

What I really enjoyed was her instinct.... "Let's drop a quick harmony, make something up if you don't know the official one..." she said "got ya..." and did it first try. Loved that.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Sleepyshoe

I think it's great, the kid has an effortless voice
Sleepyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Lawrence

Sound great. I know this was a quicky demo but the potential there is really high. It's a little on the dry side, but the immediacy is nice. Making it a little wetter would slide the scale a bit more towards intimacy.

She has a really, really nice voice... the vocal & guitar both sound really good.

Great job Karbo.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Sound great. I know this was a quicky demo but the potential there is really high.
Thanks man, it was a last minute thing before she left. I saw the studio gleam in her eye so I said "Hey, how bout I learn the chords in that Price Tag song right quick, I'll play and you sing a couple verses as a test". So that's what we did, mic bleed and all.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
plgrmsprgrs

I agree with Lawrence, Karbo. There's potential there for sure. Lot's of folks can hit the right notes, but your niece has a quality to her voice that makes listening intriguing. There's an ease in her delivery that sets up the surprise burst of power and range, and a rich tone to boot. Just makes you wonder what the next phrase is gonna sound like, and then want to hear it again. Sounds like you had a blast!

Kyle
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
sfiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
There's an ease in her delivery...
Agree with that!
Would like to hear completed version too.
sfiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Big Al Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
She left dreamy eyed which I had hoped...
Good job! I hope some day my son takes an interest in my recording setup. I mean it's RIGHT THERE son! lol
Big Al Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al Rocks View Post
Good job! I hope some day my son takes an interest in my recording setup. I mean it's RIGHT THERE son! lol
LOL, my dad kept getting mad because I couldn't keep my grimy little fingers off of a single piece of gear he had.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Lawrence

It's a really interesting thing that groucho (plgrm...) said, and he's soooo right.

While singing talent (staying on pitch, having a nice instinct for phrasing, etc,) is important, you really cannot underestimate the value of a voice that just sounds good for recording or singing. You hear people say that, "a good recording voice" where a person has a natural tone or whatever that's either really unique or smack dab in a tonal range that you know will work well and appeal to people.

Snoop Dog was kinda like that for rapping. He just had a really unique voice for a rapper. You can have all the talent in the world but that's one thing you can't learn or even develop, the raw and natural base sound of your vocal chords, we all sound different from birth.

Think Michael McDonald. Lots of guys can hit all those same notes but they'll never sound like him. Some people are just blessed with appealing vocal chords.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Sambo Rouge

What a lovely natural voice. Mucho talent. (The guitarist wasn't too shabby.)
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Big Al Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
LOL, my dad kept getting mad because I couldn't keep my grimy little fingers off of a single piece of gear he had.
HA HA! My son has his own user profile on the iMac so it's not like he's gonna wreck any of my projects. As long as he doesn't plug in or unplug a phantom powered device while the Firepod is powered on, it's all good.
Big Al Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
tspring

Your niece definitely has the easy delivery that allows a singer to project emotion. She is going to be really good. She reminds me of a local 14 year old singer-songwriter (Summer Snead) my son is working with. Here is a song that she wrote and performed (recorded by my son in his studio).

http://www.reverbnation.com/summerme...9-little-talks

There aren't that many 14-15 year old girls who can do what your niece and Summer can. It might be a good thing to give them a chance to chat. If you PM contact info to me, I'll ask Summer if she would drop a note (pun?) to your niece.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
Your niece definitely has the easy delivery that allows a singer to project emotion. She is going to be really good. She reminds me of a local 14 year old singer-songwriter (Summer Snead) my son is working with. Here is a song that she wrote and performed (recorded by my son in his studio).

http://www.reverbnation.com/summerme...9-little-talks

There aren't that many 14-15 year old girls who can do what your niece and Summer can. It might be a good thing to give them a chance to chat. If you PM contact info to me, I'll ask Summer if she would drop a note (pun?) to your niece.

T
Not a bad idea. I'm going to help her knock out a small coffee shop demo in the next few weeks and will mention to her. I'll check the above out as well once I get home.