Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
SpecialRich
Human being with feelings

Default 64bit or 32bit version on OSX?

First i guess i should say Hi, as i never got round to that, long time lurker (fast becoming a daily obsession) and very impressed reaper user.

I feel a bit of a noob for asking this, I used to be on the pulse with this sort of stuff but life has got in the way a bit for quite a few years and the 64bit revolution sort of passed me by…

I now have a macbook pro running OSX 10.7.2 with 4Gb of RAM

I believe OSX is 64bit natively?
Should I be running the 32 or 64bit version of reaper on this? (currently on 32bit)
The vast majority of plugins I use are purchased, BFD, Kontakt (EWQL-SO), Massive, Battery etc which i assume can run 64, (not sure how I would check though) but I also have a fair amount of freeware ones that I'm not so sure about.

- Is there any benefit to run in 64bit? Why would I choose one over the other?

- Will it be more efficient on 64bit than present or will it cause a greater strain on the Mac for doing the same tasks?

- Will 64bit reaper allow me to run 32bit plug-ins easily, bridged I guess? Or would they not be available, and if it does run them does this use more overhead and thus make it not worth it if i find the majority of plugs I have are 32bit?

Sorry I'm a bit in the dark about what to expect between both versions and what the pros and cons are.

Thanks

Rich
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
TimOBrien

The whole idea of 64bit is to access more than 4gb of ram.
If you only have 4gb of ram, 64 bit isn't really going to help you anyway....

Quite frankly, I've got 12gb of ram and I'm only running the 32bit version and I'm not even making Reaper breathe hard at all. I haven't gotten Kontakt yet, but I just really dont see the need to run the 64bit version yet.

BTW: You'd get a big performance upgrade if you'd spend $60 to go up to 8gb of ram. Macs love the extra ram. OWC (macsales.com) was super for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
SpecialRich

Thanks Tim,

Yeah I very rarely have performance issues so i will leave alone I think.
In regards to the extra RAM, i would have done long ago if possible, however my mac is older and i've already expanded it to the maximum.
I might treat myself to a new machine one day...

thanks
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote