Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
pitol678
Human being with feelings

Default HELP! may have lost a project

I am nauseated and freaked out. So I upgraded to Mavericks yesterday and there are some things that have changed from 10.6 obviously. I have a project of mine that I have been working on and have been really happy with my results but today when I went back to listen it wasnt there!

I always save my projects onto an external hard drive and I think I may have unplugged it before ejecting since my eject feature was in a different place than it was previously. If this in fact is what happened, would a hard drive generally lose Everything in this project? Not just what was done on a particular day? Please help if possible and let me know if there are any details you need that I may be leaving out. thanks
pitol678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
DarkStar

I don't know Mavericks at all. It all depends on the state of the file system when the disk was unplugged. I would think that the earlier version of the project or some back-ups or both should still be there.

If it were me, I would plug it in again and look round carefully to see what's what.

You mentioned that the project was not there at all. What is now in the folder where that project was?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
zoso2

Sometimes when upgrading to Mavericks the installer creates a new user account and logs you into the new account. This new account won't have access to any of the files saved to the hard disk under the other user accounts. Perhaps this is the problem? Although you probably would have noticed that EVERY file was missing not just this project.

Also, where did the eject feature go? Right click and select eject?
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
pitol678

You mentioned that the project was not there at all. What is now in the folder where that project was?[/QUOTE]

Now a very early version of the project, at least the track names, comes up but all but one track comes up saying that its off line? I looked around but no files are listed as having been created in the last two days when I was doing a lot of work on the project. maybe I should try some type of data retrieval program?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
pitol678

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
Sometimes when upgrading to Mavericks the installer creates a new user account and logs you into the new account. This new account won't have access to any of the files saved to the hard disk under the other user accounts. Perhaps this is the problem? Although you probably would have noticed that EVERY file was missing not just this project.

Also, where did the eject feature go? Right click and select eject?
Yeah it was just the project that I had most recently saved to which was within the last two days which was when I upgraded. The eject feature, I later found was just dropped down from where it had been to a couple of "menus"(not sure if thats the proper name) below so since I didnt immediately see it I had assumed I had previously ejected it a few minutes before when finishing a track and carelessly unplugged the drive. im really confused as to why it reverted back to an early version project, saving the track names etc but no other data
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
pitol678

OK for what its worth for the next person I found it! it had just been saved somewhere else for whatever reason.

How I found it was that I just went through all the files, since I knew what dates I had last saved it, to see which had that date/time, selected all the files and opened with Reaper, then saved to the appropriate folder. My concern was that it would not open all of the files but just the ones that were created on that date but since I had saved the whole project it had everything there. Pretty simple for more experienced folks but maybe this will help some other newb down the line
Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
bigtop

Really glad you found it!

FWIW...I use time machine every day to create backups...do you?

It's a great application and if you keep your backups on a separate drive you will never suffer too much.