Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Zorro
Human being with feelings

Default Mavericks plugins GUI issue

I have recently upgraded the OS to Mavericks to see how it goes. It works perfectly fine for me so far, the performance is fine, it seems to be stable enough... But i had some problems regarding Soundtoys and sonalksis (as far as i have experienced). The plugins open with no problem, but as you try to turn the knobs, change presets, or whatever you want to do, the GUI shows you no change at all, it seems freezed, but if you select the plugin in the left column (where your added plugins show), the plugin will show all the changes made. It seems to be a problem with the GUI. I tried it on Pro Tools 8 and works just fine

I'm using a Macbook pro Late 2011 13'.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Aux13

Soundtoys AU components work fine for me. VST has GUI problems.

Edit: Uppssss.... I'm on 10.6.8...sorry

Last edited by Aux13; 10-29-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Aux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Zorro

Strange, i am having problems with both of them, VST and AU...
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
ctrodrums

Same s**t here. Don't wanna downgrade OSX
ctrodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
submixx

Had the same thing with Oxford plugins, on the EQ if I change it from 'follow host' to 'circle mode' or 'linear mode' will sometimes come back to me. Wonder if this is connected to refresh rates from reaper, or something like that that I read in another forum post.
submixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...capitator.html

Maybe the update helps?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
SpecialRich

ive had the same issue with refx vanguard since upgrading
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
bilbomarks

I'm having the same issue. Everything else seems fine, but there's a few plugins (vst and vsti) that are having this issue. Knob and meter animations inside of plugs aren't functioning.

I'm on a 2013 Macbook Pro with Mavericks and newest 32 bit reaper.
bilbomarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
bilbomarks

I think the issue is at the OS/Plugin level and has very little or nothing to do with Reaper. I opened one of the problem-plugins from their stand-alone (DAW-less) desktop location and the issue persisted there too. The solution to the problem would probably have to come from a plugin-developer-patch, or an OS update and not Cockos.
bilbomarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
Ollie

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/1...ources-advice/
Old 11-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
crufty

osx 10.9 / nebula does not like to paint
crufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
ExcitingPotatoes

I was having the same issues with Antares, Oxford, Soundtoys, etc, both AU and VST versions. What worked for me was just selecting a text field in a plugin where it lets you enter in values manually (Oxford plugins have this for just about every knob). Once I clicked on it, it seemed to immediately 'wake up' every plugin across the board. You just have to do it each time you open a new project. Don't know if this will work for everyone, but it might be a good workaround until a proper fix is released.
ExcitingPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitingPotatoes View Post
I was having the same issues with Antares, Oxford, Soundtoys, etc, both AU and VST versions. What worked for me was just selecting a text field in a plugin where it lets you enter in values manually (Oxford plugins have this for just about every knob). Once I clicked on it, it seemed to immediately 'wake up' every plugin across the board. You just have to do it each time you open a new project. Don't know if this will work for everyone, but it might be a good workaround until a proper fix is released.
Worked for me!!! Thank you for the tip. Definitely some sort of graphic bug in Mavericks...certain to be addressed. This is a simple temp fix....
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
crufty

has anyone filed a reaper bug?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
Ollie

That and the other (slow response on play/stop etc.) is being investigated since a while, alas it couldn't be reproduced yet.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
crufty

at first i thought nebula was the broken plugin

but if other plugs are having issues

however for me, so far only nebula!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #17
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
That and the other (slow response on play/stop etc.) is being investigated since a while, alas it couldn't be reproduced yet.
I can replicate it fairly reliably - is there any thing I or someone else could do in terms of providing logs or something?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
crufty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
v4.56 i386 - November 8 2013
nebula AU x86 1.3.600
OS X 10.9 (13A603)

nebula will not paint -- fx window is floating

for example: nebula has a menu, which exposes presets. click a preset--nebula doesn't update to reflect preset settings. when running, nebula does not update w/updated audio info (db i/o which is VERY important, compression makeup gain, etc etc).

i do have a custom theme but can't see how that would impact fx painting in a floating window? all x86 across the board (on x64 i7 mb pro 2k11 tho)...
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
rcl

I have experienced kinda the opposite with Peavey Revalver. When I select a parameter say....volume on the GUI. It won't let go. Not even if I close the Fx browser and GUI. It continues to move the volume as I move the mouse/trackpad. This does not happen with the Stand alone.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
Vendetta V

i'm joining the club guys. Waves plugins both AU and VST show a weird GUI phenomenon.

1. VST one lets me resize the window for the FX resizing the actual GUI too. It gets strange real fast.
2. AU apparently totally doesn't load, just white screen with a few blocks kind of trying to show up.

Apparently on Logic it doesn't do the same, so I wonder if this is a Reaper specific problem?
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
j79

Are we talking about different issues here?

I have the "frozen knobs" problem with some plugs, only vst versions and only 32-bit. AU and 64-bit work fine.

As far as i am told it has to do with carbon windows, and needs to be fixed by the host somehow. But it seems that some of you are talking about something different from this though?
j79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
Vendetta V

J79 pretty much what I wrote was a bit off topic, in the sense that it's not exactly what the OP described but still very relevant.

I wonder when will Reaper devs show some support for us OSX guys
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
Worked for me!!! Thank you for the tip. Definitely some sort of graphic bug in Mavericks...certain to be addressed. This is a simple temp fix....
Hi All,

I've been struggling with this same issue with Nebula and this solution worked for me as well: Clicking on the knobs of another plugin and entering the values.

A.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #24
djangotsp

Bump!

I'm running 32-bit plugins in 32-bit Reaper, having various GUI issues. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

- Image-Line Toxic Biohazard: VST GUI completely non responsive. AU works fine until you reload a saved project. Then, the GUI shows the first default preset in the preset browser, even though It's playing whatever custom sound I made in the previous session.
- Zebra 2: VST responds to touch - the sound will change but the GUI won't redraw until you reopen the window. The AU seems fine but I haven't tested it rigorously yet.

Can anyone suggest a free plugin with text boxes? I'd like to try that workaround.
djangotsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #25
Torben Scharling

Has this been fixed? If not, which OS X version should I run? I'm about to do a fresh 10.9.5 install, but don't wanna deal with this sh!t like i did on El Capitan...
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Scharling View Post
Has this been fixed? If not, which OS X version should I run?
I'm not sure if it's fixed completely, but for me, it's only happened with a few plugins (most of them quite old) and only with the AU versions of them. (I'm on Mavericks, btw...)

Also, if it does happen, you can always just click the UI button above the plugin to remove the GUI.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #27
Torben Scharling

yup sounds exactly like the experience ive had on el cap. So much for the advice of not running latest osx...what is a man to do? Go back to Lion or ml? Snow l? Ditch reaper? I just want a system that can run old and new plugs..guess thats too much to ask
Old 01-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #28
Torben Scharling

Also I think it's a huge bummer that that means I'll have to install VST versions of the same plugins as well (which I could avoid if Reaper could read plugins better) i know you are gonna say it's all the plugin manufacturers fault, but to me that's like saying it's Satans fault rather than Gods..Also, many plugins are not updated due to lack of money etc. etc. so it's not as easy as just blaming the plugin developers and say "ya but you need to tell each individual plugin programmer that they need to update their plugin so that it works on Reaper" - some of them will be like "What's Reaper?" As far as I can see, this is cross os x version issue dating years back, and still not fixed.. I was told in another thread where I complain about the crashy prone behavior I've experienced since day one experimenting with reaper, that I was at fault (which I do admit), and one of the reasons this time around was that I was running El capitan. Now I've done a complete fresh start-all over install of Mavericks 10.9.5, and I find this thread. What year should I go back to, to have a nice capable system? Snow Leopard? Tiger? Cheetah?
Old 09-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #29
djangotsp

Just curious: are the GUI issues mostly fixed? Last time I ran Reaper on a Mac my issues with Toxic seemed to have gone away (my Mac died in July - have been on Windows since then). I still had issues with old TAL plugins (TAL-DUB I think) and an old version of Antares Autotune.
djangotsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #30
hamraisin

This just started happening to me with the second to lasted update - I have to rescan/recache the plugins folder a couple of times a session to get the GUI to come back - what the shit Reaper?
hamraisin is offline   Reply With Quote