Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default I did foley for a short film, I could use some input

Hey guys, did foley recently for a short film. I'd love to hear the input on sounds as well as the overal film.

I also recorded the quartet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HExzBBQnxlI
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Judders

Cool!

I've only dabbled a bit in foley, so take this for what it's worth (not too much ).

The sounds themselves and the timings were good.

I thought the dynamics were a bit off - the quiet sounds were too loud in comparison to the louder ones. Also, there was a bit of proximity effect on some quieter sounds that took me out of believing they are part of the film, as they sounded like they were next to my ear.

The music sounded top notch though. Really great job on that. The timing of the music to the film was good too.

The film itself was pretty good. I know the theme was repletion, but I still think a bit more variety of shots as it went on might have held my interest a bit more. I've seen many more far worse short films, that's for sure.

Good job overall though, I don't want this to sound overly critical, please take the above as constructive.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Cool!

I've only dabbled a bit in foley, so take this for what it's worth (not too much ).

The sounds themselves and the timings were good.

I thought the dynamics were a bit off - the quiet sounds were too loud in comparison to the louder ones. Also, there was a bit of proximity effect on some quieter sounds that took me out of believing they are part of the film, as they sounded like they were next to my ear.

The music sounded top notch though. Really great job on that. The timing of the music to the film was good too.

The film itself was pretty good. I know the theme was repletion, but I still think a bit more variety of shots as it went on might have held my interest a bit more. I've seen many more far worse short films, that's for sure.

Good job overall though, I don't want this to sound overly critical, please take the above as constructive.
Hey there, appreciate it! The film was supposed to be shot in late February for a particular awards event (guess you could say film festival for the sake of making sense). Due to snow it got postponed and was only shot on 10th of March. I had 3 days to rehearse the piece with the guys and record it. Then 2 more days for foley (1 day recording, putting it all in, some of the sounds were supposed to be shot outside so instead of recording live, i had the guy do multiple takes with an estimated timing, then cut and put everything in the right place). The film was done by 20th (submission deadline). In addition, I know the event had a limit on the time (less than 5 minutes). We all were a little afraid that the concept might be a little too abstract from what we could show in 5 mins, but I think it came out decently and a lot of people seem to catch on with the entire theme. Its about a guy who's trying to get rid of his past. There's tons of metaphores such as sugar = drugs or antidepressants, tea color = how truly he sees the world, hollow walls = vulnerability even at your most personal space, standing on the dirt = standing on his past, etc.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
airon

The foley does its job.

The tone puts it in the face of the viewer. Backgrounds are a little jumpy and busy, but it seems intentional.

Job done. Your next gig will no doubt be even better.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The foley does its job.

The tone puts it in the face of the viewer. Backgrounds are a little jumpy and busy, but it seems intentional.

Job done. Your next gig will no doubt be even better.
Thanks and good catch. The director wanted the background to be a ilttle busy. He even asked to keep a sound of a car passing by. His idea was that since it's not clear if the apocalypse is real or within his head, kinda like a mental crisis, thees small hints might give the viewer an idea that the world outside his head is intact and it's just him struggling with his own past.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
sqkychair

Well done!
Foley artists are my heroes of the audio world.

I haven't done any foley for video but I have added sound effects to songs before and it was always tougher than I imagined.

Big props on the quartet recording as well!
sqkychair is offline   Reply With Quote