Old 09-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #41
X-Tech
Human being with feelings

Hi. I used few times more script of region items copy paste and LIKE IT and would like use more - but error is sort of a problem. When i use copy/paste region item and there are any envelopes in children track of folder track in copies of items will be added empty items which stay and must be deleted manually after copying. Length of these empty items at child track which stay is = length of item at folder track which holding everything. Empty items always appear at child tracks which contain envelopes. These empty items at track with envelopes should be deleted after copy paste region operation automatically which is not happening actually. These empty items which stays making a little mess in my folder item "parts".

BTW

@
It would be nice if there could be added another action which after call set color of children items of selected folder items at color of folder items. They could look more like coloured group after use this color action (color children items of selected folder item in color of folder item) This color of whole region as one block could be very handy and visually logic.

@
Second. Action for unpooling children items of selected folder items could be handy too for logic of colors - to take this folder item with their inside as one "object" where pooled are only folder items but "insides" of this pooled folder can be unpooled to take this folder item as one object as i mentioned - not a buch of pooled items but one folder as item pooled object.

Finally result of call this 2 extra actions after region item actions could be:

change selected folder item all items into one color of this folder item and unpool children items of this folder item to set them as free of pooling parts of pooled folder item. I guess here this all idea could be more fullfilled and complete in practical use and intuitive usage of region items.

Last edited by X-Tech; 09-28-2016 at 02:12 PM.
X-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #42
Arthur McArthur

Amazing work on this. Makes Reaper MUCH easier to use for production and writing.

I keep getting the following error message when I'm using it, sometimes multiple times:

Is there a way to suppress the dialog? As far as I can tell it doesn't break the action but does get in the way of workflow
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #43
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Amazing work on this. Makes Reaper MUCH easier to use for production and writing.

I keep getting the following error message when I'm using it, sometimes multiple times:

Is there a way to suppress the dialog? As far as I can tell it doesn't break the action but does get in the way of workflow
Sorry i was inactive for a long time.
Copy deps/options-defaults.lua to deps/options.lua and edit the "alertOnQuantize" to false.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #44
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
Sorry i was inactive for a long time.
Copy deps/options-defaults.lua to deps/options.lua and edit the "alertOnQuantize" to false.
Great. My folder didn't have a options.lua so I just changed the defaults and it seems to be working.

Are you still interested in developing this script? I have a couple feature requests for it
Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #45
Ozman

Hmm... I just happened across this.

Am I correct in assuming that this just may be the way to have pattern-based arrangement?
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #46
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
'pattern' = time selection ?
Yes, somewhat.

Kinda like using Regions as patterns/blocks.
In this case, time selections that are slaved to items, which can be arranged and changed, then updated.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #47
Ozman

Honestly...

I think the best route would require Reaper devs' involvement.
And it's with using PiPs. If pips could not only focus on the regions between start and end markers, but other markers or even regions, then we could use one project for hashing out the ideas and creating the "patterns" and another project for the arrangements.

Then projects can even be archives of musical sections and elements that can be easily referred to in other projects.

However, this would also be optimized if PiPs could also match tempo, which oddly, they currently do not.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #48
Ozman

The coolest thing to me about this script though, is that it does what Regions don't do: Update Regions of the same name (Region Grouping), which is something I've requested be added to Reaper.

Much thanx!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #49
Ozman

Quote:
Kind of like 'ghost copy of regions'?
Exactly.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #50
Ozman

It works pretty much perfectly except for the ActonDev_fix item issue, which isn't a deal breaker. I guess we can make custom actions of Script: ActonDev_Escape.lua following the two scripts (Script: ActonDev_Multi Double Click.lua and Script: ActonDev_Insert Region Item.lua) for automatic removal of the item.

Right?

-----------------
Edit:

Nevermind, it pretty much defeats the purpose of selection, lol. (Unless the selection is only copying, which is pretty much a limiting assumption).
I guess it is something we must do manually for the time being, until a fix is found.

Last edited by Ozman; 01-05-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #51
inspired

Right now I'm not updating the script (neither working with Reaper etc..) since I recently moved to Spain and started working here.

About the script..
Copying envelope was a "hack" (that's what the ActonDev_fix item does). The "escape" function is meant to delete these items automatically, but if in meanwhile you do some undos etc, things do not go as expected (having to delete these items manually). I guess I could dig into the API to copy all the envelope points my self (instead of using a "dummy item" to copy the envelope with its help).. but well.. :P
That's why it's a bless that envelope items are going to be eventually be implemented in Reaper
So then this happens, and the API gets updated I'll try to find some time to update the script.

Quote:
Playing around with this a bit, a few observations:

1. Muted items are ignored, so if you have a muted item, it will be after 'copy & scan paste' unmuted. Meaning no difference at all between muted and unmuted items, which might be used for other ideas? Not sure yet for what.

2. copy & scan paste is item selection dependent, meaning selection is master and will replace all other instances, so if you select the wrong one, it will copy wrong content everywhere, requiring undo.

4. If your * containing track has subfolders and you have selected one of those children tracks, copy & scan paste will not work. Meaning you have to be always careful if you have selected such a child track.

6. copy & scan paste is dependent on vertical position of * track. If you have multiple * tracks and 'copy & scan paste' on the wrong one, the target items might end up elsewhere than imagined. Another thing to be careful about.
Thanks for this info. If you really find the script useful I'll try to fix those things some time
Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #52
Ozman

Useful? This is maybe one of the most useful set of scripts I've come across for arrangement. Please continue it's development.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #53
HurdyGuigui

It looks really interesting to me, but I cannot make it work here, I got this error when using the region copy and scan paste:

ActonDev_Region Copy & Scan Paste.lua:104: attempt to call a nil value (field 'ULT_GetMediaItemNote')
HurdyGuigui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #54
X-Raym

@HurdyGuigui
You need to install REAPER SWS extension :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:15 AM   #55
X-Raym

@inspired
Let us know if you need help for Reapack :P
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #56
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@inspired
Let us know if you need help for Reapack :P
Definetely! Though if you can send me a list of things I have to do, cause don't really have much time lately. And will look into it some time in the weekend hopefully.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:33 AM   #57
X-Raym

@Inspired
A bit of reading first

An article about basic concepts and set up :
ReaPack: Download, Manage and Update ReaScripts/JSFX Easily with this new REAPER Extension / ExtremRaym

The first steps are :
  • to add a reapack friendly script header to your scripts. there is a minimal exemple on the article, but if you want to add more infos, check this link, and this one. Note that there is several possible syntax, one with * and one with @ (see links).
  • to move them inside a subdirectory (call it region for exemple). It is good pratice to leave a repo root for git related file like readme.md, license.md, .gitignore, and have the actual project inside a subfolder (or multiple).
We'll see the next steps later. :P
Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #58
HurdyGuigui

Thank you a lot, it works now^^.
It is really usefull !
Would be even better if it could work automatically, like moving all the items when moving the region, ctrl+click make a copy...

Anyway, very good work !
HurdyGuigui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #59
Arthur McArthur

Hey inspired,

I find these scripts extremely useful and am using them every day.

Not sure if you're still checking this but I have a request: could you make 2 variations of this scripts, one which always splits audio past the region items borders and one which never splits it? Trying to avoid the dialog that gets created and have a predictable functionality.

Let me know! I would happily donate for these
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #60
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Hey inspired,

I find these scripts extremely useful and am using them every day.

Not sure if you're still checking this but I have a request: could you make 2 variations of this scripts, one which always splits audio past the region items borders and one which never splits it? Trying to avoid the dialog that gets created and have a predictable functionality.

Let me know! I would happily donate for these
You can set options about the dialog/options in the deps/options.lua file (read the options-defaults.lua first)

If an option is nil the dialog pops up. So you want to set "keepStartingIn" to true to keep items past the region. (and to false to.. not :P)

Now, about having two versions, you can duplicate the script, name it as you wish (keeping in the same folder), and change the "pcall(require, 'Scripts.ActonDev.deps.options')" line to "options2" and create a file deps/options2.lua with the alternative settings.

Note that with any update of the scripts things could get broken.

I check the space here from time time but still didn't get the chance to do any updates. I think I will be motivated when the automation items are released

Since you are using them every day, I'm counting on you to spot any bugs

If you have any big request in the future we can check that donation, for now enjoy :P
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #61
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurdyGuigui View Post
Thank you a lot, it works now^^.
It is really usefull !
Would be even better if it could work automatically, like moving all the items when moving the region, ctrl+click make a copy...

Anyway, very good work !
The way I use it is set the item double click to the "Multi double click" action. So you just have to double click the region item (this selects all the "children" items) and just move the region item. I don't think the "automatic" way is worth it, I developed it like that in the beginning but didn't like the behavior (imagine that you just want to move the region item).
Also since the "envelope" copying relies on a dirty hack, things would get messy(ier).

Tell me if you try it, and if you have any other ideas
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #62
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
It works pretty much perfectly except for the ActonDev_fix item issue, which isn't a deal breaker. I guess we can make custom actions of Script: ActonDev_Escape.lua following the two scripts (Script: ActonDev_Multi Double Click.lua and Script: ActonDev_Insert Region Item.lua) for automatic removal of the item.

Right?

-----------------
Edit:

Nevermind, it pretty much defeats the purpose of selection, lol. (Unless the selection is only copying, which is pretty much a limiting assumption).
I guess it is something we must do manually for the time being, until a fix is found.
Try mapping the escape button to the "escape" script. (eg double clicking a region item to select all, move items.... and press escape to deselect all - the script script also cleans up these garbage items)
This is the way I used that worked for me. Soon with the release of automation items I will update these scripts and hopefully will be functioning the way you would expect them to without any headaches.

So any other input is welcome, since I will update them.

Also any gifs/videos demonstrating any possible problems/bugs are appreciated as well. I am a visual person :P (also I don't have a proper Reaper installation on my computer for a while now to check myself the bugs)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #63
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
Definetely! Though if you can send me a list of things I have to do, cause don't really have much time lately. And will look into it some time in the weekend hopefully.
What a long weekend

No, honestly: I'd love to see those your scripts in ReaPack!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #64
Alkamist

This is a nice script! I don't have a gif but found a bug. It seems automation doesn't copy over quite right in the presence of previous automation. You can see from the gif in the OP that when the automation copies over there are points that shouldn't be there. Even with the custom selection script that makes a temporary item it still happens.

A solution I would guess would be to make the script clear all automation points within pooled regions before copying the contents over.
Alkamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #65
Ozman

Default Playlist / Pattern List Panel

One request if possible.
Being able to archive the items and their constituents to a separate panel (like a playlist for these items/blocks). And their constituent items be retained in the project. They can then be applied or dragged from this panel onto the arrangement.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #66
David Carlyon

Is this script up to date? I installed it and it isn't showing up. i am new to reaper, but have installed a ton of scripts already and this is the first one not to work (though of course i am not ruling out a stupid user error)
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #67
Joe90

Great script!

One question - the replacement double click breaks functionality for opening multiple midi parts in the midi editor with a double click - any way to fix this?
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #68
grandfougue

Installation instructions:
Create a folder named "ActonDev" and place downloaded zip contents inside

Helle in the Script folder ?
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote