Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
knadles
Human being with feelings

Default Third party loops and Abbey Road drums

MIDI gurus:

My situation:

I have NI Abbey Road Vintage Drummer. Works fine with Reaper and I can drag grooves into Reaper and they play. So far so good.

I'm working on a demo song and I didn't have any grooves that were working for me, so I bought a couple of sets of MIDI drum loops from Groove Monkees. GM offers instructions for installing them into Vintage Drummer. I followed the instructions and the new loops appear in Vintage Drummer and play as expected. I can drag the loops into Reaper and...the problem begins. The MIDItracks appear, they play (red meter line appears in Reaper mixer, but no sound and the audio meters in Reaper don't react.

The loops play in the freestanding version of Kontact (the host program for Vintage Drummer); they play in the Kontakt plugin, but nothing when playing them in Reaper. I checked, and dragging the original grooves into Reaper still works correctly...it's only the third-party MIDI files that don't seem to work as expected.

I'm clearly NOT a MIDI guru. I'm not really a MIDI guy at all. Actual audio...with mics and stuff...is my comfort zone.

My best guess is that Reaper sees and plays the MIDI files, but something is not correctly mapped to the instruments in Vintage Drummer. But I can't for the life of me figure out what, because everything works in Vintage Drummer. It's only when I try to play the MIDI track in Reaper that I have the issue.

Any thoughts? I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm lost right now. HELP!

Thanks,
Pete
knadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
atza

I don't know Vintage Drummer but EZfrummer and addictive drums have option to choose compatibility (mapping). There you choose GM mapping and it wotks.
You could also try shifting your midi clips by octave or two up or down,sometimes that's all you need
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
DarkStar

Groove Monkee drum grooves are often (always) on MIDI Channel 10.

When you load them INTO Vintage Drummer the channel is probably ignored. But when you play them from Reaper into the Kontakt Plug-in, you will need to set Vintage Drummer to receive from Channel 10 too.

Select Port A, Channel 10 in the drop-down list.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
knadles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Groove Monkee drum grooves are often (always) on MIDI Channel 10.
That was it! Thank you so much!
knadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
atza

Oh channel 10...I knew it
atza is offline   Reply With Quote