Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 AM   #1
beren
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with Halion Sonic 2

Hi all,

I am having problems with Reaper and HALion Sonic 2. Everytime I try to use some instruments (All String Sections) Reaper crashes. Sometimes it works for 10 minutes, sometimes it crashes in 10 seconds.

At first I thought it was a HALion problem since it only happens with some instruments, but it does not happen with the Standalone HALion Sonic 2 and then I tried other DAWs (MuLab, Cubase LE), HALion sonic 2 works as expected. It only crashes with Reaper.

I also tried a new project with just one VST3i HS2 track and one MIDI item and it still crashes.

Reaper Version is latest one, x64, Windows 10. VST Settings are default, but some VST paths added.

Currently Reaper is almost unusable for me so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by beren; 03-19-2017 at 06:07 AM.
beren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #2
sonicowl

In my experience, anything Steinberg means trouble. All my Steinberg plugins are prone to crashing, even in Cubase. I have no idea why that is so.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
beren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
In my experience, anything Steinberg means trouble. All my Steinberg plugins are prone to crashing, even in Cubase. I have no idea why that is so.
That is your experience. Mine is slightly different. I have been using Hypersonic2, Halion, HalionSonic2 successfully for more than 10 years. The only trouble I have with HalionSonic2 also involves Reaper.

Anyway that is not the point of my question and this is not a discussion about which software is better. (I also do not want to change to OSX or downgrade Window 10 :-) )

I want to have HS2 working with Reaper. Any help?

Does anybody have HS2 and Reaper working together?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
Koala

I had similar experiences with Halion Sonic 2. Fortunately I am also owner of the "big" Sampler Version Halion 5. And Halion 5 doesn't crash and works rock solid in Reaper.
I also can remember having similar effects with the VST3-Version of Sample Tank 3. I changed to the VST2 version and all worked fine.

Perhaps, try using the VST2-Version of Halion Sonic 2 (should be shipped with the Halion Sonic Setup Files).

Good luck !
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
beren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I had similar experiences with Halion Sonic 2. Fortunately I am also owner of the "big" Sampler Version Halion 5. And Halion 5 doesn't crash and works rock solid in Reaper.
I also can remember having similar effects with the VST3-Version of Sample Tank 3. I changed to the VST2 version and all worked fine.

Perhaps, try using the VST2-Version of Halion Sonic 2 (should be shipped with the Halion Sonic Setup Files).

Good luck !
I wonder how I overlooked that workaround! I already have HS2 VST2 installed, and it works! A million thanks!

Edit: Anyway I wish some Reaper Dev can take a look to the issue.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
ivansc

FWIW there are quite a few VST developers out there whose VST3 implementation is flaky with more than just Reaper.
May not be the case with this one but there does seem to be a common trend regarding HOW VST3 is implemented affecting how reliable it is or isnt.
Glad you found a fix though.

Exactly what part of VST3 will you be missing out on till this is resolved?