Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
CadenLWelborn
Human being with feelings

Default Star Citizen - A Beginning to an Unofficial/Fan Soundtrack

Backstory for this post:
------------
For those of you who don't know about Kickstarter, here's what the great Wikipedia says: "Kickstarter is an American-based private for-profit company founded in 2009 that provides through its website tools to fund raise for creative projects via crowd funding.
Kickstarter has funded a diverse array of endeavors, ranging from indie films, music, stage shows and comics to journalism, video games and food-related projects. People cannot "invest" in Kickstarter projects to make money. They can only "back" projects in exchange for a tangible reward or one-of-a-kind experience, like a personal note of thanks, custom T-shirts, dinner with an author, or initial production run of a new product."

Recently, an idea was pitched by the creator of games such as Wing Commander and Freelancer for a new space trading and combat simulator game called Star Citizen. This Kickstarter caught the attention of many space simulator fans and online news sites and was successfully overfunded to the grand total of six million. It's since grown to having over 7 million dollars in funding.

Now the nerdy fans bide their time residing in the official Star Citizen forums, making wallpapers and other assorted fan media... and I am one of them.
------------

What if I told you I was going to make a Star Citizen soundtrack to rival any upcoming official one?

You'd probably say, "You must be out of your mind." Or, "Yeeeah, good luck with that buddy."

That sort of reaction would be common. After all, there wouldn't be many people, if any, who have the ability to match the production level of a master professional who has many years of experience making music for media and video games. There's no chance that composers such as Michael McCann, Jesper Kyd, or Jeremy Soule could be matched skill-wise by a no-name artist like Caden L Welborn, right?

Well, I'll let the music speak for itself.

I present to you the first in a series of pieces labeled as an unofficial soundtrack to Star Citizen. This piece is the Opening/Main Theme and as such takes the place of the Main Menu music.

The plan thus far is to create three main types of tracks: Action- Driving beats, industrial samples, and arpeggiated synths for space battles of varying size and type, Ambient- Atmospheric soundscapes with heavy emphasis on emptiness and echo, and Thematic- Very emotional and sweeping pieces all the while keeping the sci-fi style and elements in mind.

However, this is not the entire concept for the project. I'm looking for talented composers who would be interested in lending their tools and talents for additional tracks. Action pieces, ambient pieces, thematic climaxes, etc., all to create a singular style and feel that would be recognizable as Star Citizen. Those who think themselves able to contribute to the project would have to meet the necessary qualifications because not everyone is up to the task of creating high quality music for a game soundtrack. We will have the ability to maintain a similar style and feeling throughout the soundtrack through the use of online group collaboration/planning software (detailed below) keeping us on the same page, particular WAVs of certain synth elements and percussion loops that I or other composers in the group have created, and common VST patches for shared synth and sample instrument software.

The qualifications are as follows:
You must have a digital audio workstation such as REAPER, Logic Pro, Cubase, FL Studio, Sonar, Ableton Live, or Pro Tools.
You must have a good amount of experience working with a Digital Audio Workstation and be able to provide high quality samples of your previous work.
You must have a collection of virtual software instruments that you are very familiar with and use frequently.
You must have access to a virtual orchestra such as EWQL's Symphonic Orchestra, Symphobia, L.A.S.S., or the Vienna Symphonic Library.
You must have access to complex synthesizers such as Alchemy, MASSIVE, and/or know how to use free ones like Synth1 well.
You must have basic effects such as reverbs, modulation fx, distortion fx, compression, delays, filters, etc.
You must be familiar working with WAVs and splicing/chopping/crossfading.
You must have a decent understanding of how to mix and master.
You must be able to export your music as 16bit, 41000khz Stereo WAV files and host them on your dropbox or another site where we can easily download and access them.
You will need to create an account at www.freedcamp.com - a free online collaboration program which will enable us to easily share ideas, manage who is doing what, have a calendar which shows when certain things should be done, and generally have everybody on the same page. If you're interested in contributing to this project, then PM me the same email you'll use for signing up for the site and I'll send you an invite to the Freedcamp project.

The starting goal is to have at least 10-15 tracks finished and out by the end of March with multiple artists, or 5 tracks by the end of February with me doing this solo. This is subject to change and likely will depending on how many artists are working on it and how much time we can devote to it.
Please note that I will not compromise quality merely for the inclusion of more composers or the ability to get this done quicker. If there's no one of sufficient skill or time able to work with me, then I'll compose this by myself.

The end resulting soundtrack will be uploaded as each track is finished (at our discretion) onto YouTube, the official Star Citizen forums, and wherever else it's decided it should go.

This will be quite the undertaking. But to create something that has never been done before, a high quality unofficial/fan soundtrack designed specifically for the game, I believe the end result will be more than worth it.

------------------
Star Citizen Opening/Main Theme - https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0qwngcrnh...Main_Theme.mp3
Length: 5:56
Bitrate: 320kbps
Size: 13.6 MB

If you'd like to listen to it on soundcloud, you can find it here: https://soundcloud.com/caden-l-welbo...n-opening-main

Last edited by CadenLWelborn; 01-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
CadenLWelborn is offline   Reply With Quote