Old 10-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default bass content of cymbals

for any genres: anyone making any effort to capture the bass content of cymbals? or are you always rolling that off? cuz there's a lot of bass there

these last few months have been the first time i've regularly been in a room with a miced drum kit, and being an electronic musician using commercial cymbal libraries or better yet, open samples from commercial music (you'll never catch me, but love/fuck ya if you do) i've never thought much but to roll off the low end from cymbal activity, generally

my thoughts are that the most valuable tone is in the higher frequencies, but is there anything cool here that i'm not aware of? for example, are those bass tones in harmony with the higher tones?

i obviously haven't researched this much, just a casual thought that i hoped the forum might save me some time on.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
karbomusic

Basically, if it sounds better roll it off, if it doesn't don't. Lots of people like to roll off by default but I don't unless I can hear a reason it needs to be done. I'm especially picky about this with overheads because in the high majority of the cases, OHs define the overall tone of the kit and are often more important than we first expect. YMMV.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Fergler

There's often some mids support to the stick hit portion especially on wide ride cymbals.

Rides themselves also have some bass especially noticeable in their tail, but for a dense track it's not that useful.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
There's often some mids support to the stick hit portion especially on wide ride cymbals.

Rides themselves also have some bass especially noticeable in their tail, but for a dense track it's not that useful.
yeah i understand this is largely genre dependent, but i'm hoping to get answers like yours that look past that. beyond the obvious "if it's useful, use it"

thanks for your comment. painfully aware of the mids of emphasis crash cymbals, as they often clash with other elements of my mix, demanding some eq param mod.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
ivansc

I tend to use a lot of rods and mallet sounds on cymbals in some of the Americana stuff I do. Love me some fat cymbal crashes with a bunch of gong-like after tones.
Try it.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Judders

I'm with Ivan on the gong-like tones.

I'm not a fan of modern high-passed cymbals that are all air and no body. I especially like quite a bit of bottom on the ride bell to make it nice and percussive.

I guess I just like how drums sound in real life.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I guess I just like how drums sound in real life.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Lokasenna

I want my cymbals to have lots of "oomph" to them, but by the time I get finished notching out the really strong pitched elements, especially around 500 and 1k, there's not much left, so I just roll up the high-pass anyway.

One option, depending on what you have for tracks, is to use the room mics for the lower information and the overheads for attack and sizzle.