Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
mtthw
Human being with feelings

Default How to record without noise, Why noise?

Hi,

If I can render a VST instrument without any white noise or "Machine Noise", Just nice as can be, why can't I record without any noise?

I have recording input Realtek AC97.

I have the ASIO for all software ASIO.

I get "machine noise" whenever I record from microphone, or record anything not MIDI. White noise, too.

For example, If I record my VST synthesizer on a new track, instead of rendering to a new track, all kinds of machine noise and background noise.
This same noise when using microphone.

I want to bypass this "machine noise" alltogether. There is no machine noise when I render something, only when I record. (Machine noise is that noise the computer makes when it is working, sometimes its there, sometimes its not)

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
-Matt
mtthw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
moliere

basically, its because your soundchip (AC97) is about 50c worth of technology.
You may be able to reduce humm by running off battery instead of AC, reduce noise using an external mic preamp before your line in (not mic in, which will be noisy) or buying a whole new audio interface. Try not to crank the gain on your mic input too much, as its just going to get noisy as. But honestly, if you're getting a bunch of noise, it tends to be due to bad shielding decisions on your card/computer and cheap components.

*edit*

although, what exactly are you talking about with 'recording' a vst not working vs rendering? that kinda sounds like you're having click/pop problems which can be an ASIO buffer size issue. Try increasing your buffer sizes to maximum and seeing if that helps (it will increase your latency though)

Last edited by moliere; 08-23-2009 at 11:33 PM.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
nerdfactormax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthw View Post
Hi,
For example, If I record my VST synthesizer on a new track, instead of rendering to a new track, all kinds of machine noise and background noise.
This same noise when using microphone.
Please explain what you mean by recording. Are you recording using an audio input or are you recording midi which is being converter to audio by the vst?
Any time you record audio with a sketchy sound card you will get machine noise. Sad but true. moliere has given you a few tips to minimize it.
nerdfactormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
mtthw

Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
basically, its because your soundchip (AC97) is about 50c worth of technology.
You may be able to reduce humm by running off battery instead of AC, reduce noise using an external mic preamp before your line in (not mic in, which will be noisy) or buying a whole new audio interface. Try not to crank the gain on your mic input too much, as its just going to get noisy as. But honestly, if you're getting a bunch of noise, it tends to be due to bad shielding decisions on your card/computer and cheap components.

*edit*

although, what exactly are you talking about with 'recording' a vst not working vs rendering? that kinda sounds like you're having click/pop problems which can be an ASIO buffer size issue. Try increasing your buffer sizes to maximum and seeing if that helps (it will increase your latency though)
Thanks for the info. I don't get any pops or crackling. When I create a new track, just to record other tracks (just trying things out), I get the white noise. When I render a track, like a VST instrument, no white noise at all, just perfect.

I was just guessing that somehow I might be able to get better recording somehow, even with the basic soundcard. I might just get a good digital recorder, I saw a Sony thats supposed to be really great quality, not too pricy, like field recorder quality. Rather than try to upgrade my machine.

Thanks Again,
-Matt
Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
mtthw

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdfactormax View Post
Please explain what you mean by recording. Are you recording using an audio input or are you recording midi which is being converter to audio by the vst?
Any time you record audio with a sketchy sound card you will get machine noise. Sad but true. moliere has given you a few tips to minimize it.
Thanks, appreciate the help, if a good soundcard really makes the difference, I'll have to get one at some point.

-Matt
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Diogenes

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate the help, if a good soundcard really makes the difference, I'll have to get one at some point.

-Matt
That's solid advice. The on board on my laptop is a Conexant chip. Recording is impossible with the thing because;

A. It has NO line input. Just a NOISY P.O.S. MIC input. Ugh...
B. It has terrible, terrible noise problems. It's like you can hear every bit being ran through memory and to/from the hard disk. Ugh ^10 ...

I bought a Tascam US-122L. Love it.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Mr. Data

These soundchips often have a terrible DC offset as well.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
DerMetzgermeister

The question:

Quote:
Hi,

If I can render a VST instrument without any white noise or "Machine Noise", Just nice as can be, why can't I record without any noise?
The answer:

Quote:
Hi,

I have recording input Realtek AC97.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Mr. Data

Great!

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote