Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
tomsherk
Human being with feelings

Default 8 Track P&W Album Complete - Detailed Setup

Hello all,

This summer I have been busy recording two friends of mine. Their artist title is Brad & Grant, and the album is called the Prayer Room Sessions. I acted as engineer/producer, and I mixed & "mastered" the album. We made the best of what he had available to us already without spending any money. p.s. - P&W stands for praise & worship!

Without any theological agenda I am simply sharing a project that comes from something we have in common: a love for music and creating music

All tracking / mixing / mastering was done in Reaper x64 on my laptop which is an ASUS ultrabook (6gb RAM, i5 cpu). Track counts got to be over 30-40 loaded with plugins, not once did Reaper crash. The interface I used was a Scarlett 2i2. We had to be very smart about tracking and had to do every instrument separately. The microphones I used were:

c1000s in stereo for acoustic
Beta52 on kick drum
c1000s in stereo for overhead drums (toms, shakers, cymbals)
SM57 on electric guitar
Avantone Tube on Vocals for Peace, Be Still
c1000 on all other vocals (tube wasn't available until later)

Bass, keys and synth were all DI

Instrumentation: Mid level Taylor acoustic, 2011 Gibson Les Paul Trad 1960, 52 Tele Reissue, Vox AC15C1, Fender Mexican Jazz Bass, Korg tube powered keys

The plugins I used were all API and CLA plugins, and a few stock Reaper plugins.

You can hear the full version of Peace, Be Still and a short preview at my soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/tom-sherk Physical CD released yesterday, iTunes / digital release TBA. Here is the Brad & Grant FB page - https://www.facebook.com/bradandgrant

Thank you for reading and listening, I look forward to discussing this project and future projects with you

- Tom S.

Last edited by tomsherk; 08-19-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: More Info
tomsherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
pattste

You did a really good job on this one. I just listened to the preview on Soundcloud. Good mix, wide image, lots of separation and good balance. The songs and arrangements are varied, the voices are good, the instruments real. I have heard a lot of recordings done with much greater means that didn't sound half as good. Respect.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
tomsherk

Thank you for the kind words! I had so much fun recording and finalizing this album I can't wait to get another one going.
tomsherk is offline   Reply With Quote