Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
electrodaddy
Human being with feelings

Default Pro Tools memory locations

Hi there,

I am moving away from Pro Tools and into Reaper. Primarily for mastering where I am sending out a track into my analog hardware chain and capturing back into Reaper. The one thing I am now missing from Pro Tools is 'memory locations'. If I'm working on an album then I might have 10 songs. I have a separate track for each song plus a track to capture the audio. I like to view just the song I'm working on at the time. In Pro Tools I can hide all the other tracks and zoom the clip/track height to fit the entire screen. So I'm just looking at the original track and capture track. I can store this information as a memory location along with time location and clip selection. Using shortcuts I can easily flip between full screen views of each song. I can also set up a memory point for just the original files. Or just the final masters etc. I hope I have explained that well enough.

I can't find any sophisticated solution in Reaper. My current workflow is to have the track manager docked at the bottom so I can hide/unhide the tracks I want to see. I can also use SWS snapshots to store this info. But item selection and/or play locator isn't stored. So I still have to navigate to where the audio/item is located.

Anyone else got a better solution? Thanks in advance.
electrodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
James HE

try

View > Screensets/Layouts

There is a "track views" tab.

I think there is a bug with it though in that it does not account for any thing you have docked on top of the arrange window... (just noticed - need to test and confirm this)
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
electrodaddy

Hi James. Thanks for the info. Track Views does look very promising and it could be what I'm after. HOWEVER, there only seems to be 10 slots. This could prove to be very frustrating on projects containing more than 7-8 tracks.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
zappsunzorn

I think you can do what you would like with a custom action. You can select and move the play cursor to the item in the next track, and move cursor to the left side of the next item.

You can have track view 1, use the regular shortcut, and make a custom action that recalls view 1 and sets up for the next one below. Use the filter in the actions window to try to find actions that you can use to make a custom action to do what you want to do. I am sure you will be able to find something that works for you, and once it is set up, it is as if it was native to Reaper.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
electrodaddy

Track views does exactly what I need but I find the limit of 10 slots very frustrating. I can't seem to find a workaround.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
vdubreeze

Maybe editing the S&M.ini file will enable more slots?

I was having a similar problem with the limit of fx chain slots for creating Audiosuite-like actions. It defaults to 4 and EpicSounds hipped me to the fact that simply changing the text "S&M_TAKEFXCHAIN=4" in the S&M.ini file to "S&M_TAKEFXCHAIN=50" was all I needed to do to raise it to 50 or whatever I wanted. The ini was set for 50 slots but I couldn't figure out how to create more fx chain slots, but this took fx chain slots from 4 to 50. I just looked around in the ini and couldn't determine which might increase the amount of track views slots (or even if one could) but hopefully someone much smarter than me can chime in with if it's possible to increase the those with a simple edit of an ini file.

edit: Maybe this thread has the pertinent info? This is what Pinknoise explains a few posts down:

"Regarding slot actions:
Search in the actions list for "slot" for a whole bunch of associated resource actions.
By default there are only a few actions per Resource/Bookmark type. For example the template slot actions may only show 01-04..., however you can have upto 99 slot actions per Bookmark. To have more actions do this..,
1)Close REAPER then locate and open the S&M.ini file in a text editor.
2)Look for the section [NbOfActions] then for example if you wanted more apply track template actions just change "&M_APPLY_TRTEMPLATE=" to whatever, upto 99 then save the file.
3)Restart REAPER and look in the actions list for the newly added actions.
And remember you can always create custom or cycle actions which can include slot actions."

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116520

Last edited by vdubreeze; 03-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 AM   #7
electrodaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Maybe editing the S&M.ini file will enable more slots?
Thanks for the help. I thought you might be onto something there. I can't seem to find anything. The number of track view slots seems to be baked into Reaper. I did do a feature request but it didn't get a lot of love!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182933
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
James HE

The "Item Comps" script that I wrote is meant for comping takes, but it can also be used just for item selection groups, and also it scrolls and zooms to those items.

If I just add an option to store and recall the edit cursor position, I think you'd have exactly what you'd want electrodaddy.

I'll try and work on that this week as I get time.

The script is called JamesHE_Comps Display.eel and is available in ReaPack.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
electrodaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
If I just add an option to store and recall the edit cursor position, I think you'd have exactly what you'd want electrodaddy.
Hi James. Thanks for your reply. I've had a quick play and it almost works. Unfortunately the script doesn't control track height and visibility. Which also means it doesn't account for buss and FX tracks that don't contain any items. Track views does this really well. But its just that damn 10 slot limitation. Maybe Track Views could be replicated with a script. Thanks so much for answering and offering to enhance your script. Which seems very handy so I'll certainly be using it anyway!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodaddy View Post
Hi James. Thanks for your reply. I've had a quick play and it almost works. Unfortunately the script doesn't control track height and visibility. Which also means it doesn't account for buss and FX tracks that don't contain any items. Track views does this really well. But its just that damn 10 slot limitation. Maybe Track Views could be replicated with a script. Thanks so much for answering and offering to enhance your script. Which seems very handy so I'll certainly be using it anyway!
ahh.. didn't think of track views... I'll look into tacking in on in the script. The end goal was to build more grouping functions into the comp stuff anyways, so it does make sense to include something like track views.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodaddy View Post
Thanks for the help. I thought you might be onto something there. I can't seem to find anything. The number of track view slots seems to be baked into Reaper. I did do a feature request but it didn't get a lot of love!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182933
When I'm in PT the way you can use memory locations in this and other ways, which I've asked how to simulate in Reaper, sometimes getting 90% there sometimes 10%, figures heavily in the workflow. I really miss that functionality of memory locations when I'm in Reaper.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
RJHollins

old thread ...

still ... has anything come of this requested feature.

Would be nice to have a 'pinned' list that could hold info/locations
with entries like 'Intro, 1st Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Verse, Solo, etc'.

Anything like that ?
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote