Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default USB Powered Device (like Komplete Audio 6)?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what kind of experiences you folks have had with USB devices powered by the USB itself.

Any problems?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Sibben

Nope. Using a Presonus Audiobox. It amazes me how they can feed both preamps and phantom power from USB but yeah it works for me.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Tod

Thanks Sibben, I need to make a decision today if possible, tomorrow at the latest.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what kind of experiences you folks have had with USB devices powered by the USB itself.

Any problems?
Hi Tod-

I have a Komplete Audio 6. No problems here. Win 8.1 x64.
I still wish it had an on/off switch, though !

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Hi Tod-

Okay Susan, thank you, I think I'm convinced.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
plamuk

hold up, Tod

komplete audio 6 has a known issue with powering certain mics. this is not an issue with USB (focusrite saffire 6 works great) but rather with the komplete audio 6.

i cannot use my condenser mic with the komplete audio 6 without excessive dropouts. there's no problem if you're using your own preamps or dynamic mics ...

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...roblem.146380/

here is someone else reporting the issue when trying to use 2 mics. i can't even use 1. really sucks, i wish i had read this before buying it (at least i got it used, cheap)

otherwise, great piece of gear, but if you have to choose between that and the saffire 6, go with the saffire.

Last edited by plamuk; 04-27-2015 at 02:33 PM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
morgon

Quote:
Hi Tod-

-Susan
If youre running Win 7 you can use 'hibernate' mode to shut off the USB ports in order to connect KA6 correctly. I watch the puter lights on the front panel to know when its really 'powered off' - usually takes less than 20 secs. [Note: Apparently 'sleep' mode doesnt shut off the USBs.]

Ive had no issues with KA6 either, very reliable in my experience.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
hold up, Tod

komplete audio 6 has a known issue with powering certain mics. this is not an issue with USB (focusrite saffire 6 works great) but rather with the komplete audio 6.

i cannot use my condenser mic with the komplete audio 6 without excessive dropouts. there's no problem if you're using your own preamps or dynamic mics ...

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...roblem.146380/

here is someone else reporting the issue when trying to use 2 mics. i can't even use 1. really sucks, i wish i had read this before buying it (at least i got it used, cheap)

otherwise, great piece of gear, but if you have to choose between that and the saffire 6, go with the saffire.
Oh oh, thanks nym, but it might be too late.

I've conducted some extensive searches regarding the Audio 6 over the last few days but never saw anything associated with the 48V Phantom power or condenser mics.

Most of the negatives regarded the inability to work properly with non ASIO programs, but I'm assuming that got fixed in the last recent driver upgrade. I have to say though, NI was pretty slow with that one.

The other issue has been the inability to Direct Monitor Inputs/Outputs 3 & 4. I don't think I will have a problem with that considering my current use of the interface. Heh heh, back a few years ago with my old XP I had 24 Mic/Line inputs & outputs that could be directed and monitored from any way I saw fit.

I actually did/do wonder how both the interface unit and 48V Phantom can all be powered by USB?

The mics I use are mostly pretty good, primarily a couple of AKG 451's and an AKG 414. I guest we will see.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
rvman

May be late to the party, but just to add....

Five months with the Presonus Audiobox and Win8 laptop with zero issues.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:36 AM   #10
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
If youre running Win 7 you can use 'hibernate' mode to shut off the USB ports in order to connect KA6 correctly. I watch the puter lights on the front panel to know when its really 'powered off' - usually takes less than 20 secs. [Note: Apparently 'sleep' mode doesnt shut off the USBs.]

Ive had no issues with KA6 either, very reliable in my experience.
Hi morgon-

That's good to know about "hibernate" mode. I've never had a problem connecting it even with REAPER running and I just wait until the "Safe to remove..." message appears before disconnecting it.

Are you saying it's a bad idea to connect it while the computer's running?

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 04-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
Sibben

The "safe removal" routine is for storage mediums where you might disconnect it during a write operation and get errors. I connect and disconnect peripherals like crazy, including memory sticks, and always have. I've never had any problems. YMMV.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #12
morgon

Quote:
Hi morgon-

That's good to know about "hibernate" mode. I've never had a problem connecting it even with REAPER running and I just wait until the "Safe to remove..." message appears before disconnecting it.

Are you saying it's a bad idea to connect it while the computer's running?

Thanks-

-Susan
I saw somewhere, the manual maybe, but whether its bad I'm not sure, so I err on the side of caution. Ive accidentally connected while USB was live a few times and no dramas afaict but it could be that the power supply slams the resistors harder and over time...

Most appliances should be powered on from the console not the mains, but I dont know how relevant it is to an USB interface. Maybe theres an electronics expert will turn up who can clarify this, Id like to know for sure too.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:09 AM   #13
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
The "safe removal" routine is for storage mediums where you might disconnect it during a write operation and get errors. I connect and disconnect peripherals like crazy, including memory sticks, and always have. I've never had any problems. YMMV.
Hi Sibben-

I always thought that message related to storage media, too, but figured I'd "honor it" just to be on the safe side with the KA6, too. Now that I think about it, that really makes no sense, does it?

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 AM   #14
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
I saw somewhere, the manual maybe, but whether its bad I'm not sure, so I err on the side of caution. Ive accidentally connected while USB was live a few times and no dramas afaict but it could be that the power supply slams the resistors harder and over time...

Most appliances should be powered on from the console not the mains, but I dont know how relevant it is to an USB interface. Maybe theres an electronics expert will turn up who can clarify this, Id like to know for sure too.
Hi morgon-

Yeah, I'd like a definitive answer, too. I plug other stuff into USB ports without thinking twice when my computer's on.

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 04-28-2015, 03:46 AM   #15
Time Waster

USB is supposed to be hot pluggable. The issue with storage is that if you pull a USB storage device out while it is writing to the memory, you will loose some or all the data and it can damage the storage device. This is not an issue with USB, but with the storage system that uses the USB system for communication.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 AM   #16
morgon

Possibly/prolly a liability disclaimer ["Safety Considerations"] but page 6 of the KA6 manual [2.2] "Before connecting the KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 hardware to other electronic components, turn off the power for all devices"

But then, on page 13 following on from the software installation, Item 9: "After the installer has finished running, connect the KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 to a USB 2.0 port on your computer using the USB cable included in the package."

[Me] No mention there or thereafter that I can see about a need to power off anything before connection.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:21 AM   #17
Sibben

If you read manuals carefully they're full of c.y.a. stuff. They're just erring on the side of caution so no one can sue them. I just got a new digital scale and the manual to that was funny as hell. Apparently weighing yourself on it if you have a pacemaker was a no no. Big warning. Maybe that would kill you.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
USB is supposed to be hot pluggable. The issue with storage is that if you pull a USB storage device out while it is writing to the memory, you will loose some or all the data and it can damage the storage device. This is not an issue with USB, but with the storage system that uses the USB system for communication.

Also I had a focusrite USB interface which drew USB bus power and knackered on of my USB sockets which wasn't man enough for the current draw.

Just out of warranty on the laptop. Bummer.

So be careful and/or use a powered hub to be safe.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So be careful and/or use a powered hub to be safe.
Hi Ivan, what exactly are you talking about when you say "powered hub"?

I assumed you were talking about a hub of some kind that plugged into an AC outlet. However, googling mainly shows USB hubs that hook right into the computer and I don't think I see a benefit in that.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Ivan, what exactly are you talking about when you say "powered hub"?

I assumed you were talking about a hub of some kind that plugged into an AC outlet. However, googling mainly shows USB hubs that hook right into the computer and I don't think I see a benefit in that.

The USB connection from the computer can only supply so much current. If that sags or is not sustainable you may have issues with the hub and/or USB powered devices using the hub. When the USB hub (or connected device) has an adapter that plugs into the wall the strain on the limited current resources via USB (as supplied from the computer) are minimized. Translation, follow Ivan's suggestions when/if possible.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The USB connection from the computer can only supply so much current. If that sags or is not sustainable you may have issues with the hub and/or USB powered devices using the hub. When the USB hub (or connected device) has an adapter that plugs into the wall the strain on the limited current resources via USB (as supplied from the computer) are minimized. Translation, follow Ivan's suggestions when/if possible.
Thanks Karbo, yeah I got that, it's basically what I'm saying in the post above.

It's just that my googling didn't show much. I finally used "AC Powered USB Port" and got a little more info.

Up till now all I've used USB for are memory sticks. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it but just in case I'd like to be prepared.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:28 AM   #22
ivansc

My laptop tends to look like a porcupine when I am using it for music.

Since I went over to a 4 port powered hub, I have one of my still-working USB inputs on the lappy with the hub. Into that goes the RME Babyface, the iLok2 and my Waves USB stick plus an external drive. In the other working socket goes a usb mouse.

Wish someone had warned me about usb bus power before I partially fried one of the three originals and completely clobbered the third.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote