Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Noobinator
Human being with feelings

Default Much to do about MIDI

Hi,

Every now and then I like to apply a sample library to a MIDI file, in addition to other adjustments, in order to make it sound more realistic. The process involves importing a MIDI file into my DAW, listening through each instrument to decide which sample instrument best suits it (as MIDI instruments that belong to one section of instruments, such as strings, are often just as realistic as another belonging in the same section as the one they are trying to imitate), apply any appropriate modifications such as effects or fitting in some notes, and then exporting.

The problem is in the first step. When I import a MIDI file into REAPER, I go to play it back as it is, but nothing sounds at all. I imagine that each track has not been assigned any MIDI instruments, which is, needless to say, particularly annoying. I was wondering, then, how I would go about ensuring that upon importing a MIDI file, each instrument is automatically catered for by my normal MIDI bank. However, I must add that it might not be because the MIDI instruments haven't been assigned, as, according to REAPER, the actual volume of each track is still increasing and decreasing appropriately. This may be irrelevant, but I thought it best that I include this detail just in case.

That is my first, and largest concern. However, if someone can provide an answer to the problem, then I would appreciate it if my next question could also be addressed. I'm wondering if one can set REAPER to use a specific soundfont library to open MIDI files with, instead of the regular MIDI library. I know I can go through and manually reassign each track, but that would seem quite pointless considering that my intention is to go through and assign each track a VSTi. My original DAW had it's own collection of reasonable quality VSTis that were ordered like a MIDI bank, and it used that instead, so if REAPER has something like that it would be useful to know how to do that too =)

Thirdly and finally (and most basically), a question of simple convenience. Is there a way to set a default VSTi, so when one creates a new VSTi track via the 'insert virtual instrument on new track' option, one doesn't have to go through and manually select exactly which VSTi they want if it is the one they normally use?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any answers =)
Noobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Sibben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobinator View Post
Thirdly and finally (and most basically), a question of simple convenience. Is there a way to set a default VSTi, so when one creates a new VSTi track via the 'insert virtual instrument on new track' option, one doesn't have to go through and manually select exactly which VSTi they want if it is the one they normally use?
Check out Track Templates and FX Chains.

This is a good resource (The User Guide) in case you don't have it.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote