COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 01-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
bmelonhead
Human being with feelings

Default being notified of playback start in iPlug (WDL-OL)

I started developing my plugins using AU and VST to test and came to assume that I would get a Reset() call when playback is started. I found out today that VST3 does not do this. But it does call OnActivate, so I defined that in my plugin and had it call Reset() (it gets called twice on playback start, but I can work with that). Now I'm double checking AAX and finding that it does not call Reset or OnActivate when playback starts. I turned on TRACE and as far as I can tell, there is no call when playback starts.

Isn't it common to want to know when playback starts? Am I alone in wanting to do something special with my plugin state/processing when playback starts? Take latency for example...which should be a widespread need. If you have latency of X samples, then when playback starts you get calls to ProcessDoubleReplacing to supply the initial X samples without the normal sampling delay between the calls. Wouldn't most people want to handle these calls slightly different from a normal ProcessDoubleReplacing call? Without any indication of playback start, there is no way to distinguish them.
bmelonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
JD Young

I used something like this the other day at the start of ProcessDoubleReplacing(), which seems to work for all different plug-in formats:

Code:
ITimeInfo ti;
GetTime(&ti);

bool isPlaying = ti.mTransportIsRunning;

if (!m_WasPlaying && isPlaying)
{
    // started playing
}
m_WasPlaying = isPlaying;
JD Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
bmelonhead

I implemented this and it does work. Thanks!
bmelonhead is offline   Reply With Quote