Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Cutsman
Human being with feelings

Default Freezing track too long?

Hey everyone. Quick question here.

I have a track containing a short clip at the beginning of a project that I wish to freeze. When I freeze it, it results in a clip the length of the project (that is, where the final clip ends) which is far longer than the original clip. Is there no way for it to freeze only the length of the clips on the track I freeze rather than all clips in all tracks? I work with large projects that sometimes use many tracks containing short clips but many effects, and it often takes a good 5 minutes to freeze each one which can be a hassle.

Thanks in advance!
Cutsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
CaptainHook

I haven't looked into this but would love to know too actually.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Fex

Me to. There should an option to render a time selection to an item on a new track.
FR?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Me to. There should an option to render a time selection to an item on a new track.
FR?
If you use the actual render dialog (rather than a right click on the track), you can render to stems within a time selection. Select the audio tracks you want to render, set your time selection, maybe a couple wildcards to suit your naming tastes, etc.. Easiest for me is to check the box at the bottom that says to add items to new tracks in project.

Edit: There are also actions for this - "Render selected area..." (I realize it's rendering, not freezing). I would also like to have freezing work on selected items, rather than the entire project, although I have to admit, I haven't actually warmed up to the idea of freezing (see what I did there?), since I'm always nervous I will forget it's been frozen and do something I shouldn't. My own little paranoia, I'm sure.

Last edited by KevinW; 01-17-2012 at 07:37 AM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
planetnine

Doesn't "glue" apply FX to the item(s) and replace the original with a newly rendered version?

>
Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Doesn't "glue" apply FX to the item(s) and replace the original with a newly rendered version?

>
no, glue just joins items to make a single item, it doesn't render any fx to the new item.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
BenK-msx

[pssst] if you're into 'pres' check out latest.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Yeah, this was fixed in the latest pre-release. Check out the pre-release forum.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsman View Post
Hey everyone. Quick question here.

I have a track containing a short clip at the beginning of a project that I wish to freeze. When I freeze it, it results in a clip the length of the project (that is, where the final clip ends) which is far longer than the original clip. Is there no way for it to freeze only the length of the clips on the track I freeze rather than all clips in all tracks? Thanks in advance!
Are you saying you are freezing wav/audio files and not VSTi synths correct?

If YES to freezing wave/audio files then may I ask why? What is the advantage?

Thanks!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
If YES to freezing wave/audio files then may I ask why? What is the advantage?
My guess would be to "burn in" the effects and reduce their overhead. I used to do that with Sonar all the time - because I had to. I almost never do it with Reaper because it's more efficient, but with a lot of tracks and/or some intense effects, it could be necessary.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
no, glue just joins items to make a single item, it doesn't render any fx to the new item.
Big space waiting to be filled then

>
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Cutsman

Thanks for the posts everyone - I have been super busy and near forgot to check back here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
AWESOME. Thank you. So glad this feature is being included. It makes a HUGE difference to what I need to accomplish.

To answer why I needed this, I record songs, usually about 10 minutes long, with many guitar tracks using ampsim software which can be cpu heavy. I often have many guitar tracks with different vsts running for different tone, so to free up cpu space as I go I have to freeze them. So up until now I had to wait the duration of freezing the whole 10 minute track for what might be a mere 20 second clip.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
SEA

Default Can You Freeze FX?

I was wondering... when you freeze a VSTi synth (like Kontakt), will the FX on that track freeze as well like reverbs, delays, etc., and render (print) the FX to wav?

If so, does freeze take off line the VSTi's and VST FX on that track and do they come back online when unfrozen?

And what about WAV files? If I have a vocal track with 4 VST FX on that track, can I freeze it and save CPU or what?

Thanks!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Cutsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I was wondering... when you freeze a VSTi synth (like Kontakt), will the FX on that track freeze as well like reverbs, delays, etc., and render (print) the FX to wav?

If so, does freeze take off line the VSTi's and VST FX on that track and do they come back online when unfrozen?

And what about WAV files? If I have a vocal track with 4 VST FX on that track, can I freeze it and save CPU or what?

Thanks!

SEA
Yes on all accounts. This is the only purpose behind track freezing, as far as I know.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsman View Post
Yes on all accounts. This is the only purpose behind track freezing, as far as I know.
That and printing FX for archiving stems. You don't know if you can reproduce the project and all of the plugs in ten years time when you need to edit or remix it. Save the raw files, the stems and the edits/FX print too...

>
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Thealia

What is this "pres" function you speak of? Based on OP's original situation, I am battling similar grounds atm.
Thealia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealia View Post
What is this "pres" function you speak of? Based on OP's original situation, I am battling similar grounds atm.
"pres" is a shortcut for pre-released versions. It's not a function, just a version or REAPER that is still being tested and not available on the download site yet.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Thealia

This thread is two years old... and I'm having this problem now. Is there something to change in the options? I have a recent version of REAPER.
Thealia is offline   Reply With Quote