Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
frontkoch
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper vs. Kontakt 5

Hello out there,

I īve got some serious issues running Kontakt Player on Reaper.
Firt of all - the setup:

AMD PHENOM II X4 970, 3.5 GHz
12 GB RAM
Windows 7, 64 bit
Reaper Vs.4.721
Kontakt Player 5

So here is the problem:
When running the Sessions Strings Pro via Kontakt in Reaper I get a serious lag, which means by playing the strings I hear dozens of "cracks" and other different noises. I installed Reaper as well as the Kontakt Player on my primary SSD and put the libraries on an different physical HD (7200 U/min).

So the basic setup couldnīt be any better... All the buffering-options in Reaper are still on "default", although Iīve tried anything to get rid of that problem. (Pre-buffering, fx-buffering and so on...)

Iīve been working on Cubase (5.5) for several years and have it installed on my computer. So I played the Session Strings on Cubase and it works totally fine. (Same library-folder-path, same Kontakt Player, same everything)

So there must be some kind of problem Reaper generates by streaming that much audio-information from a library-HD to the primary SSD.

I hope there is anyone out there who could give me a quick advise...

Thx a lot for your attention.
f.
frontkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
vanhaze

Kontakt has some settings concerning performance and audio streaming.
Have you figgled around with these settings?
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
frontkoch

Yeah, Iīve checked out every single option in Reaper as well as in Kontakt as well as in Session Strings Pro as well as in my Interface Latency menue (an old UA 25 by the way. Not the best one for recording, I know, but for MIDI issues it works as well as any other interface).

Update: What I just found out is that the lag has got something to do with a certain reverb-preset in Session Strings Pro. Once you turn it off or switch to another preset the lags dissapear. The main problem is still the same, I guess: Reaper causes some audio fragments while streaming medium size libraries off a second physical HD. In Cubase the reverb presets still work perfectly. (And I hate to say that! )
Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontkoch View Post
Yeah, Iīve checked out every single option in Reaper as well as in Kontakt as well as in Session Strings Pro as well as in my Interface Latency menue (an old UA 25 by the way. Not the best one for recording, I know, but for MIDI issues it works as well as any other interface).

Update: What I just found out is that the lag has got something to do with a certain reverb-preset in Session Strings Pro. Once you turn it off or switch to another preset the lags dissapear. The main problem is still the same, I guess: Reaper causes some audio fragments while streaming medium size libraries off a second physical HD. In Cubase the reverb presets still work perfectly. (And I hate to say that! )
Yes, convolution reverbs can be especially bad. Have you got an other convo-verbs set up in Reaper?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
frontkoch

Hey Tod,

you are right: Reverbs sometimes can take a cpu to itīs limit, but the thing is: in Cubase the same reverb runs perfectly. So there must be a fundamental difference between Cubase and Reaper generating these kinds of error. And right now I have not the slightest clue about what could cause that sample-streaming-malfunction.

I do have some other reverbs to rely on that are much better than these "onboard"-reverbs. But for just jamming and creating melodies etc. I tend to use the Session Strings reverb for the "vibe". (Cause usually native effects donīt use that much cpu...)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
DarkStar

Hmm, if it works OK in Cubase then it certainly should work OK in Reaper.

If you start jiggling things, you run the risk of it not working well in Cubase any more. So I would go back to however you had it working in Cubase.

You think that the Reverb may be the problem. Just to check - with the Reverb off in Reaper, Kontakt then play back OK, with no glitches?

Which Reverb is it and exactly what settings are set? Post a screenshot if that is easier. I'm a bit surprised that the Reverb processing could be different in the two hosts - I would have thought it all went on within Kontakt.

Another thought - I'll guess that that AMD is multi-core. Is there any difference in CPU loads when playing back the instrument in the two hosts?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontkoch View Post
I do have some other reverbs to rely on that are much better than these "onboard"-reverbs. But for just jamming and creating melodies etc. I tend to use the Session Strings reverb for the "vibe". (Cause usually native effects donīt use that much cpu...)
Aah, would you believe I've been working with Session Strings today and I've been using their Convo-reverbs without any problems.

I ran into some other issues with Session Strings that I posted on the NI forums but I've had no problems with the Convo-Verbs. Actually I don't think I've ever run into any problems when using Kontakts Convolution Reverb, not yet any way and I use Kontakt a lot.

Have you got any extra Convo-Verbs you're using in Reaper?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote