Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
Jan A
Human being with feelings

Default opening multitrack .bnd and .cmb

Hi!

Im new to Reaper and stuck in testing if this is a tool i can use for my project.
I record multitracks with a TrackerMT16 from jamhub. The files are either .bnd or .cmb. I can open both filetypes in Reaper. That is all fine, but all the tracks are grouped in one track, there is no individual control over the tracks. So my multitrack recordings show up in reaper as 1 track with 16 tracks inside, like a container or composition.

Any idea how i can go about splitting the tracks so that i get 16 tracks and not one?

thanks a lot

Jan A
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 13.31.15.png (49.9 KB, 287 views)
Jan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Dynsdale

I have no experience with the formats you use, but I suggest trying
the action Take:Explode takes of items across tracks.It is obviously meant
for situations where you want a separate track for each take, but might work in your situation.
Good luck
Dynsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan A View Post
I record multitracks with a TrackerMT16 from jamhub. The files are either .bnd or .cmb. I can open both filetypes in Reaper. That is all fine, but all the tracks are grouped in one track, there is no individual control over the tracks. So my multitrack recordings show up in reaper as 1 track with 16 tracks inside, like a container or composition.

Any idea how i can go about splitting the tracks so that i get 16 tracks and not one?
If the Take:Explode action which Dynsdale suggested doesn't work:

There's a splitter app for BND files available:
- www.jamhub.com/tracker-faq/
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EltDmJpO8

Not sure if this might also work with .cmb files. But maybe try to make a backup copy of a .cmb file and rename the extension of the copied file (from .cmb) to .bnd.

Last edited by solger; 02-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:56 AM   #4
Jan A

Default found a way, outside Reaper

Thanks guys!

The TAKE action is not available when a .bnd . cmb is selected.
I found this clip on youtube that is somewhat relates, here a guy creates a track containing multiple layers. However there is no info on how to extract a multilayered track in reaper. From his comments in the clip i understand that it is not possible to extract the track info into multiple tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu9n5AQetfI

The bnd splitter app from Jamhub does not give consistent results when put to the task. It is unstable, someetimes it works sometime it does not work. That is to unpredictable to come close to be a reliable solution. Jamhub is out of business and TrackerMT16 (recording device) has been discontinued, this also goes for further development of the extractor App. Possible not the best news, but i found a way around it with Audacity!

As with Reaper, Audacity imports both ,cmb and .bnd : ) And it splits them into multitracks! How about that? I can export the tracks to what ever format i want. That is great and i guess that solves it for me.
However i would love to be able to use another DAW, like REAPER

Jan A
Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 AM   #5
planetnine

You can import the file and copy it onto 15 other tracks, and then set the channel-mode on each to display only one track.

Note: this doesn't duplicate the source file as each REAPER track is referring to the same source file. NIFOR to check, but glue might then create a wav set of mono files from this method.

>
Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Jan A

@Planetnine

Thanks! Since i am new to Reaper i can´t seem to identify the Channel mode of the track. I tried the Help section but no luck.
Would you mind explaining in further detail?

Jan A
Old 02-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
planetnine

Sorry, as on Android at the time, couldn't check.

Try this, and then "Glue" will create new mono wav files from the items. Saving the project and naming the items before glueing should help with useful file locations and names, too.

• Copy the item to the tracks.

• Select the first track, press F2.
  • Where it says "Channel mode: [Normal]", click and choose "Mono (Left)"
  • Click "Apply" and select the second track.

• Where it says "Channel mode: [Normal]", click and choose "Mono (Right)"
  • Click "Apply" and select the third track.

• Where it says "Channel mode: [Normal]", click and choose "Mono (3-64)" > "Mono 3"
  • Click "Apply" and select the fourth track.

• Where it says "Channel mode: [Normal]", click and choose "Mono (3-64)" > "Mono 4"
  • Click "Apply" and select the fifth track.

• Where it says "Channel mode: [Normal]", click and choose "Mono (3-64)" > "Mono 5"
  • Click "Apply" and select the sixth track...

etc...

>
Old 02-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
Jan A

That works! Thanks a lot
However it is a time consuming and repetitive task.
I might as well export the tracks from Audacity and then import into Reaper to save time.

Jan A
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
planetnine

This could be useful for stereo to monos as well as splitting polys, might see if I can write a script action for this...

>
Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
Jan A

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
This could be useful for stereo to monos as well as splitting polys, might see if I can write a script action for this...

>
That would have been awesome. Is it a complicated task?

Jan A