Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
charlessboyerjr1
Human being with feelings

Default rewind cursor to start

I'm in Reapeer 4.7
How to get the cursor to return to where it started on play stop?
I use either spacebar or Enter key to stop (Win).

I can't find it in /Preferences/Audio/Playback.
Is it elsewhere, or even possible in Reaper?

I started with Reason3, went to Cubase 3/5, went to Pro Tools 8/9 and decided that upgrades were too expensive and the whole thing too much, went to Mixcraft 6 and found that trash, Podium not featured enough, and ended up here on Reaper and am going to buy it. I like it and prefer it's working method now.

Why is stopping the cursor during playback where you stop the transport the automatic method? Hmmm. (In reading google searches it seems that the opposite was the automatic method in previous versions of Reaper(?) where the cursor would jump back to where it began when playback stopped(?). Or am I all wrong here?

Is the only method to jump to SWS extension?
I wanted to learn by the stock setup while going through tutorials and helps at first.

Thanks for replies.
Chuck
charlessboyerjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
VinodXAgent

Hi Chuck and welcome to the Forum.
Chapter 2.5 in the manual for more.
If you hit the spacebar playback starts at the edit cursor position. If you want the edit cursor to move to your actual position in the song press
Pause (Stop at current position and move edit cursor) Ctrl Space.
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
jiff 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodXAgent View Post
If you want the edit cursor to move to your actual position in the song press
Pause (Stop at current position and move edit cursor) Ctrl Space.
Vinod
Press spacebar for original position Or press "Enter" to re-new the position

Last edited by jiff 41; 08-10-2014 at 11:46 PM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
planetnine

Alternatively, assign the "undo cursor move" action to an easily-accessible key, use pause to stop and press that key to go back if you want to.

I have this on my transport controller...

>
Old 10-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
thewizzard

so what your saying is, reaper doesn't automatically go back to zero when you stop playback? its hard to drop samples on the timeline only for reaper to playback where you last clicked; becoming very irritating.
thewizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizzard View Post
so what your saying is, reaper doesn't automatically go back to zero when you stop playback? its hard to drop samples on the timeline only for reaper to playback where you last clicked; becoming very irritating.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying here. We're not talking about taking the cursor back to zero, but to the edit cursor position (which is where it begins playback from).

What behaviour would you like from your REAPER setup? You can place markers on your timeline and jump your cursor to them -a way of "bookmarking" timeline positions.

"W" jumps to the start of your project. There are custom actions to jump to zero if your project starts at another timeline position.

>

>
Old 10-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
thewizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying here. We're not talking about taking the cursor back to zero, but to the edit cursor position (which is where it begins playback from).

What behaviour would you like from your REAPER setup? You can place markers on your timeline and jump your cursor to them -a way of "bookmarking" timeline positions.

"W" jumps to the start of your project. There are custom actions to jump to zero if your project starts at another timeline position.

>

>
I am a former Logic (not)Pro user and when you stop playback and start again, it returns to zero or to it's last place. Studio One has an option that will "return playhead to zero" when you stop.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #8
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizzard View Post
I am a former Logic (not)Pro user and when you stop playback and start again, it returns to zero or to it's last place. Studio One has an option that will "return playhead to zero" when you stop.

REAPER should do this as default if you stop the transport with the space bar (Transport: Play/stop).

Although the play cursor will return to the edit cursor position, the arrange view won't autoscroll back to show that position unless "Scroll view to edit cursor on stop" is selected in Prefs/Playback.

Does that help any?

Edit: I have "pause" on my transport controller (Transport Play/pause, which doesn't return to the edit cursor position) along with a button for returning to the previous edit cursor position if I want to. That's just the way I have it for my workflow as I'm more likely to stop the transport where I want to make an edit.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 10-06-2014 at 01:43 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlessboyerjr1 View Post
I'm in Reapeer 4.7
How to get the cursor to return to where it started on play stop?
I use either spacebar or Enter key to stop (Win).

Why is stopping the cursor during playback where you stop the transport the automatic method? Hmmm. (In reading google searches it seems that the opposite was the automatic method in previous versions of Reaper(?) where the cursor would jump back to where it began when playback stopped(?). Or am I all wrong here?

Is the only method to jump to SWS extension?
I wanted to learn by the stock setup while going through tutorials and helps at first.

Thanks for replies.
Chuck
The behavior didn't change from what you read in your google searches. Playback in Reaper will still always start from the edit cursor position.

With default settings
Spacebar = stop. The edit cursor doesn't move, so the next playback starts where you last started if you didn't move the edit cursor during playback.

Enter = pause. The edit cursor moves to where you hit enter and the next playback starts from there.

Quote:
its hard to drop samples on the timeline only for reaper to playback where you last clicked; becoming very irritating.
Not sure I understand the sentence, but maybe this is the issue. Depending on your settings the edit cursor moves to where you last clicked, which will force the next playback to start from there.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
thewizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Not sure I understand the sentence, but maybe this is the issue. Depending on your settings the edit cursor moves to where you last clicked, which will force the next playback to start from there.

Exactly. I don't want the edit cursor to move where i last clicked.
What should I do? Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

You can customize that in Preferences -> Editing behavior -> Mouse modifiers.

First change the "Context" fields (at the top of the page) to "Track" "left click". Then in the area below doubleclick on "Default action" (which means "click with no modifier key held") which should currently read "Deselect all items and move edit cursor" to change it to a behavior of your liking. Try "Deselect all items" for example. Then hit "Apply" at the bottom to actually make the change.

EDIT: In case you're worried, you can still move the edit cursor by clicking in the ruler area after this change, or assign a "move edit cursor" behavior to [track left click] + some modifier key.

Forgot to mention: There is an option in Preferences -> Editing behavior, called "Move edit cursor when pasting/inserting media". If enabled the edit cursor moves to the end of an inserted item. It's so you can keep inserting/pasting and the media will appear in a continuous row on the track. Not sure whether it's enabled by default, but it sounds as if you want it disabled. Also have a look at the other "move cursor" options on that same page.

Last edited by gofer; 10-06-2014 at 02:54 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
planetnine

If/when you have the SWS extensions installed, this action could be very useful to you if assigned to a handy key for editing...

SWS: Undo edit cursor move

>
Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
thewizzard

Gofer, you're the man.

I might consider purchasing Reaper after my evaluation period ends.

Thanks