Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
ssj4vegita2002
Human being with feelings

Default First try - metal loop

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/443473/blackmetalhome.mp3

Had an idea for a riff and just went with it. Drums were EZDrummer, just a simple pattern loop cus I'm not a drummer and don't know what sounds good, haha. Guitars are direct-in using my FA-101 with Guitar Rig 3, bass is the same.

Later tonight I'm going to my my guitarists house to actually track out a real song using the MOTU 8Pre and some SM57's we bought. I'll post that when we get it done. I'm trying to wrap my head around the mixing process and may need help once we've tracked stuff out.

This one is something else I was messing with

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/443474/ezdrummertest.mp3

Last edited by ssj4vegita2002; 03-11-2009 at 02:52 PM.
ssj4vegita2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Chris_P_Critter

I like it!

Definitely post it up when it's finished.
Chris_P_Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
pattonfreak1

That first clip just reeks of SYL

awesome riff.
awesome tone.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
ssj4vegita2002

Ok, here is what we did tonight, lol.

remember, this was written, recorded, and half-assed mixed in about an hour and a half, lol.

it's based on the recent rash of monkey attacks in the news, we're fed up and wanted to write about it...cus we're morons, haha.

check it out. I put some basic EQ, gates, and mixing/panning on it, but nothing major. Tomorrow I want to sit down and start at the kick drums, bring the bass guitar in, let it sit well, and move on from there with everything else.

equipment: HP laptop [2.4ghz dual core, 4gb ram], reaper, MOTU 8pre, 3 sm57's, 1 shure beta52, 2 samson tom mics, direct guitars through amplitube2, and direct bass through amplitube2.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/443833/MAIN%20TEMPLATE.mp3
Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
ssj4vegita2002

OK, here is the mixed version. Let me know how you guys think everything sits in the mix

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/445226/monkey_song.mp3
Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metal worthy of the Meatmen even
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Lawrence

"I'm a monkey. I'd like to rip your face... off..."

Cool as hell.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Lokasenna

Reminds me of Gwar, in both production and lyrics. Not my thing, but it's a pretty good mix.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
ssj4vegita2002

Instrumental version, to get a better idea of the instrument mix.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/445231/...strumental.mp3
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
hux

I *really* liked the guitar work, but I can't fuggin stand that style of vocals.

/crotchedy old dude
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Amberience

Cool guitar and drum-work! I wasn't keen on the vox, but I'm generally anti-vocalist anyway

Could sound a lot phatter with real amps!
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
ssj4vegita2002

Well, the vocals were a joke. My guitarist just picked up the mic and ad libbed, wasn't meant to be serious in the vocal department, hehe.

We tried micing a cab with the guitars, but were just getting a either a really harsh sound, or it sounded like the mic was 100 feet away. not sure what we were doing wrong. Tried an SM57 at the center of a cab speaker, and off center.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
ssj4vegita2002

Ok, looking at our mp3 and those of "pro" recorded stuff, it seems we are lacking in the volume department. I've been trying to read up on mastering, and I think I understand the concept, but not how to achieve something close to it. Basically, you're making the track as loud as possible, without clipping, but also trying to preserve the dynamics of the track, right? I've read about these "volume wars" and how many people don't like the way they do things nowadays because it destroys some of the nuances in the music. Anyone got any advice? I had gotten a copy of SONAR with an interface, and I decided to throw the SONAR Boost 11 plugin in reaper. It works, but it makes the track sound a bit wonky [note: strange volume shifts] when it kicks in. I don't think that is going to be the way to go.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
Amberience

I didn't notice the volume really, as I have a volume control on my monitoring setup.

Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
hux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj4vegita2002 View Post
Ok, looking at our mp3 and those of "pro" recorded stuff, it seems we are lacking in the volume department. I've been trying to read up on mastering, and I think I understand the concept, but not how to achieve something close to it. Basically, you're making the track as loud as possible, without clipping, but also trying to preserve the dynamics of the track, right? I've read about these "volume wars" and how many people don't like the way they do things nowadays because it destroys some of the nuances in the music. Anyone got any advice? I had gotten a copy of SONAR with an interface, and I decided to throw the SONAR Boost 11 plugin in reaper. It works, but it makes the track sound a bit wonky [note: strange volume shifts] when it kicks in. I don't think that is going to be the way to go.
I think we worry too much about it, really. I'm of the opinion that this style of music doesn't need so much dynamic range. Shrug. Squish the sh*t out of it and move on with life.

If you can find a copy, T-Racks 3 has some GREAT mastering components. Send me a .wav and I'll run it through real quick fer ya, if ya want.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Lokasenna

The volume sounded alright to me, but I'm an intelligent person who's able to turn my speakers up instead of needing it done for me.

That said, if you're finding that your mixes are too quiet, here's a suggestion or two:

- Are all the tracks turned up? This might sound like a stupid question, but if the loudest track you have is set to -6db on the fader, there's probably some room to turn everything up. You could try turning everything all the way down, pick one track to set at 0db (say, the vocals, or the snare), and mix everything around that.

- If everything's turned up and it's just not enough, try a good compressor or limiter on the master channel. Kjaerhus' Classic Master Limiter is always a good choice, though it creates a bit of latency so I avoid using it a lot these days.

I'm using two plugins together right now, and they seem to work pretty well - ReaComp, and GVST's GClip. ReaComp is there to provide a bit of parallel compression, for a punchier mix, and GClip is keeping everything under control while adding a few db of gain to get the volume I want.

Dynamic range is fun, but things do need to be pretty loud these days to sound right next to other music. I use the Reaper's RMS meter, offset by 6db from the peak meter, and aim for the chorus to be hitting 0db RMS. On rendering, the waveforms look loud but still have a lot of dynamics going on.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
ssj4vegita2002

Good tips guys. It just sounded odd when I had the track on my Zune and I go from one song playing at 10 volume, and having to bump it to 18 when my track comes on. I get what you're saying though, there isn't a massive need to be louder.