Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Geo524
Human being with feelings

Default Peak Files and Clean current project directory??

Hey Guys,

Couple of questions...

What is the best way to manage those little peak files that Reaper seems to put all over my hard drive?

Also, is there an easy way to set up the "clean current project directory" so I can safely get rid of the files that aren't being used anymore?

I love Reaper but these 2 things really bug me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Geo524; 04-16-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Geo524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
bigwoody

For the peak files, Reaper lets you create an alternative path so all the peak files from all your projects can be stored in single directory. Everything else (audio files, midi etc stay in your project directory. To set this up, first go to Options/Preferences/General/Paths and create a directory under "Alternate waveform peak cache path", name it temp or reaperpeaks. Now go to Options/Preferences/Media and click the check box for 'Store all peak caches in alternate path.

The cool thing about this is it will leave your project directory much cleaner with just your important stuff. You can also occasionally empty the alternative directory and all that means is the next time you open your project it will just take a minute to re-build the peaks. You won't loose anything important. (I only clean this out about once a month or after I finish a significant project.)

To effectively use "Clean current project directory' first you need good basic project management. What I do is every song (project) has its own directory. The way clean works is if there is any sliver of any file being used in your project it will keep that entire file. If you have several takes for example but you only use slivers from 3 or 4 takes it will keep all 3 or 4 files. If you have something like this the best thing to do is glue the entire track with all the pieces when you are done with your edits. This will create a new single file and then when you clean the directory you can remove all the other ones. Be careful, like any delete, once you empty your recycle bin they are gone.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Geo524

Thanks for the reply BigWoody. I'll give this a shot.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
SpecialRich

funnily enough i'm just trying to sort out the same thing!

The other problem I have is that when inspiration strikes i haven't always created a save file / directory before i started getting dirty with audio and end up with loads of audio files in a default location rather than in a defined project folder.
Is the only way to move all files to the new location the "consolidate" function? it seems to render everything again rather than just shift the source files and you loose all your edit points/splits.
I remember in cubase there used to be a function that would export a project to a new folder as an exact duplicate.

cheers
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Fabian

I have Reaper set to store the peak files on a 512 MB RAM drive. Works great. Reaper has to re-create them when I load a project in a session, but it does that quite quickly and nicely in the background. The peak files haven't bothered me since...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
bigwoody

Answering Rich's question...

Under File/Save As there is a check box to move all the media into the new project directory.

I would also recommend setting "prompt to save on new project" under Options/Preferences/Project. It only takes a second and starting off with good file/project management just makes life (at least mine) so much easier.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
SpecialRich

Brilliant, thanks woody!
That prompt save on new project is an awesome idea, in complete agreement that organisation from the get go is a major time saver in the long run!

thanks
Rich
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
planetnine

I have my media files saved in a relative path -a subfolder of my project file (called "audio files", predictably) and all the peak files are stored there with all the wav files.

I like to leave my peak files intact for loading speed reasons (my projects are audio heavy and will take several minutes to regenerate peaks). I don't often have to go digging in the "audio files" folder for wavs (esp since the project bay was introduced) and I just leave the peak files with them, where they are supposed to be.

I have nice clean, organised project folders; the fiddly stuff is tucked out of sight, but intact.

>
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Katsu

I choose the option to have my reapeaks sent to a specific destination folder, then use ccleaner to delete that folders contents when it is run. (you can set it to run when you're boot up, but I prefer to manually execute it) plus its a brilliant tool to have for your comps general maintenance

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I also use Mediasweeper for cleaning out my projects. Start to use this only when you are positive you know how it works.

http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/

Being anal with your project folders in the first place helps with keeping the mess down, mostly.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Geo524

CCleaner and Defraggler are my "go-to's" for PC maintenance. I was using ASC Pro (advanced system care) for awhile but it became alittle bloated over the years. Also(from a post I read here) Auslogics registry cleaner is another great tool.

I haven't figured out how to use mediasweeper yet and I might not have to now. It's downloaded and installed but that's as far as I got with it.

You guys are great. Many thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu View Post
I also use Mediasweeper for cleaning out my projects. Start to use this only when you are positive you know how it works.

http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/

Being anal with your project folders in the first place helps with keeping the mess down, mostly.
Just remember thatMediaSweeper actually doesn't permanently delete anything - it moves the 'unused' files to another location of your choice where you can choose to delete them or not.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
themixtape

"store all peak caches in alternate path" - this option isn't in Reaper 4.21's preferences. Can anyone help? I hate these reapeaks files, and want them out of my sample loops folders when I audition loops.

Thanks!
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
Coachz

That's from premature recordulation ! It really only takes 15 seconds to save a new project so just do it. You can also have reaper open with your default template if you like so your tracks are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialRich View Post
funnily enough i'm just trying to sort out the same thing!

The other problem I have is that when inspiration strikes i haven't always created a save file / directory before i started getting dirty with audio and end up with loads of audio files in a default location rather than in a defined project folder.
Is the only way to move all files to the new location the "consolidate" function? it seems to render everything again rather than just shift the source files and you loose all your edit points/splits.
I remember in cubase there used to be a function that would export a project to a new folder as an exact duplicate.

cheers

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
themixtape

Nevermind, I found it... under the main "Media" tab. Yay, finally all my reapeaks files are appearing in this temp folder I created!
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I have my media files saved in a relative path -a subfolder of my project file (called "audio files", predictably) and all the peak files are stored there with all the wav files.

I like to leave my peak files intact for loading speed reasons (my projects are audio heavy and will take several minutes to regenerate peaks). I don't often have to go digging in the "audio files" folder for wavs (esp since the project bay was introduced) and I just leave the peak files with them, where they are supposed to be.

I have nice clean, organised project folders; the fiddly stuff is tucked out of sight, but intact.

>
PL9,
I am looking for a way to store peak files (for imported audio in a Project), in a dedicated sub folder of a Reaper Project folder, preferably named "Peak Files".
I just can't find how to do this.
i looked in Preferences but the settings for peak files there don't give me this oppurtunity, so it seems to me.

I found this old thread and your post resembles the most what i want.
Could you explain how you did that ?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #16
soundeziner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
PL9,
I am looking for a way to store peak files (for imported audio in a Project), in a dedicated sub folder of a Reaper Project folder, preferably named "Peak Files".
I just can't find how to do this.
i looked in Preferences but the settings for peak files there don't give me this oppurtunity, so it seems to me.

I found this old thread and your post resembles the most what i want.
Could you explain how you did that ?
I'm desperately seeking the same solution. I don't want peak files scattered throughout my library drives, I don't want to rebuild them every time I open a project, and I really want them stored in a sub-folder of my reaper project.

Help. Someone.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #17
Coachz

Maybe devs can add a project setting for a project peak file folder.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #18
Jeffsounds

Options -> Preferences -> Paths -> Store all peak caches (.Reapeaks) in alternate path?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
vanhaze

Thanks, but nope , that's the setting that "centralizes" all created peak files for all Reaper Projects in 1 set folder.

Not what i want, as explained..
Old 03-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #20
soundeziner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Options -> Preferences -> Paths -> Store all peak caches (.Reapeaks) in alternate path?
That doesn't store them per project, only globally in one location. Not very helpful for project management or mobility, I'm afraid.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #21
Coachz

I checked Preferences/Media -> "Put new peak files in peaks/ subfolder relative to media"

Created a new project and recorded. It was still saving peaks to

C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Temp\REAPEAKS

My Project Settings / Media tab has "AudioFiles" for the "path to save media files" and it does save the media there.

Then I UNCHECKED Options -> Preferences -> Paths -> Store all peak caches (.Reapeaks) in alternate path? and it works. I now get a peaks folder under my AudioFiles folder in my project.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #22
soundeziner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post

Then I UNCHECKED Options -> Preferences -> Paths -> Store all peak caches (.Reapeaks) in alternate path? and it works. I now get a peaks folder under my AudioFiles folder in my project.
Do you have to manually create the AudioFiles folder if you don't have one? I refer to my media files' original locations and by default don't have a project AudioFiles folder.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #23
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeziner View Post
Do you have to manually create the AudioFiles folder if you don't have one? I refer to my media files' original locations and by default don't have a project AudioFiles folder.
I don't create it but it is set in project settings as "AudioFiles" and gets created on first recording.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #24
soundeziner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I don't create it but it is set in project settings as "AudioFiles" and gets created on first recording.
That's part of the problem -- I'm not recording in Reaper.