Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
sound warrior
Human being with feelings

Default reaper tempo detection not working please help.

hi all, reasontly I've been trying to use reaper to detect the tempo of some loops I would like to possibly use in a track, the loops are wav files my project defaults are BPM120 time signature 4/4.

I load a loop in to the project select the first bar then use the action create project tempo from time selection new time signature, a dialogue comes up but in the dialogue the tempo and time sig are the same I heard a friend of mine use this feature and the dialogue should show a different BPM to the project and after clicking ok the project BPM should change but it doesn't and in the doilogue the defult tempo and time sig values are still shown.

does any one know how to solve this problem?

your help with this matter would be most welcome, kind regards trey.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Please don't take this as patronizing. I literally have never used or looked at this feature, so I'm just going to get the "too obvious" things out of the way in case you're just having a moment.

1) You're sure the loop's not actually 120 4/4? It's a pretty common tempo.

B) Do you have Snap to Grid enabled when you make the selection?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
Win Conway

Are you selecting the first bar of the sample, or the first bar on the ruler of the timeline ?
You need to turn off snap, then select the first bar of the sample (This wont line up with the timeline ruler)
Personally i like to have loop and selection linked here, so that i can play and loop while i am selecting, this way i can hear when it is a perfect loop.
Then run the tempo action.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
sound warrior

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm not home right now but I'll try the recommendations in post number three when I get home :-) I know the loop is a different tempo from my project tempo because I can hear it is. Again thanks for your help everybody :-) I'll let you know how it goes :-)