Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
VikingGuitar
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO problem? Scarlett 6i6 suddenly stopped working. Reaper playhead doesn't move.

EDIT: The problem below has now been FIXED. Turns out, Avast (and AVG) antivirus decided the Focusrite was no good. Once I uninstalled Avast, everything works great again!
================================================== ========
ORIGINAL POST:

Let me start by saying that I've had a stable audio production setup for several years. I literally used Reaper this morning with no problems. Turned off the computer, went out, came back, turned it on, and now things aren't right.

Using a Windows 7 PC, current version of Reaper. I have two audio devices: a Line 6 Toneport UX2, and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. The UX2 handles guitar recording, the 6i6 is the main interface that drives my monitors.

Anyway, when I open Reaper, I get no playback through the 6i6. I checked my audio device settings and Scarlett MixControl settings and they have not changed. When I switch the device to the UX2, I get playback through the UX2 speakers without any problem. Switch back to the 6i6, no audio. Additionally, when the 6i6 is selected and I start playback, the "PLAY" icon lights up, but the playhead doesn't advance. It's not like it freezes; I can pause/stop without any computer hesitation or problem. It just simply won't play.

If I select any other "Audio System" besides ASIO in the audio device settings (WaveOut, Direct Sound, etc.), I can then select the 6i6 as the output device and get normal playback through the 6i6. Audio outputs normally, playhead moves normally. The problem only occurs when "Audio System" is ASIO, and the 6i6 is the device.

Closing Reaper, I can playback my normal Windows 7 audio (Media Player, etc) through the 6i6 just fine. I can also use the 6i6 as a recording/playback device with Audacity and not experience any problems. The problem appears isolated to Reaper, and isolated to using the 6i6 as the ASIO device in Reaper.

I have already uninstalled all Scarlett drivers, uninstalled Scarlett Mix Control, disconnected the device, restarted, re-installed everything, reconnected the device, and tried Reaper again. There is still no playback. The 6i6 continues to function as expected with all other software (Windows, Audacity).

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how I can fix it? I've hooked up my monitors to the UX2 for the time being, so I'm not dead in the water, but the 6i6 is the better processor and I need to get it back up and running.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by VikingGuitar; 04-30-2017 at 03:17 PM.
VikingGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
hopi

might just be a corrupted reaper.ini file...

as a test... get a dl of reaper and install it as a portable to a it's own separate folder and see what you get.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
VikingGuitar

Good idea, but still getting the same behavior from the portable install.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
hopi

ok... well I know you said the interface was working with other programs... correct? because the behaviour now would seem to be a prob with interface itself.

I am assuming you indeed have it set up correctly in reaper prefs???
Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
VikingGuitar

As far as I can isolate, the problem is not with the device, but how Reaper is interacting with it. All other programs can use the device as expected.

Reaper prefs should be setup properly. Everything is unchanged from when I was using it earlier. Attaching a screenshot of the Audio Device settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper prefs.JPG (57.8 KB, 597 views)
Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 AM   #6
RobertP

I am not an expert at this stuff and I normally have no need to change Mix control factory settings.

However, something in my setup changed somehow and what worked for me was to set the Mix control to factory default after saving the current setup for it.
Just an experience that might be worth trying.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
reztes

My interface is 2i2 and I have the very same problem since this morning.I can use WASAPI with my 2i2, but I can't use any of the ASIO drivers.

I tried to use ASIO4ALL and it seemed to work until I closed Reaper and I started it again. Then, it began to fail, to make noises and to show a "!" sign in the ASIO4ALL icon.

It is very annoying and the worst thing is that it happened spontaneusly. I am very frustrated with Reaper. I hadn't had a problem til now, but this is a very important problem.
reztes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
somebodyelseuk

FWIW, I bought a Scarlett (18/20) earlier in the week, and though I'm not using it yet, I have installed all the gubbins - software etc. As soon as I opened the Control software, a message opened informing me there was a requirement to update the firmware...
Just a thought - have you had a firmware update that maybe causes the issue or is there one available that might solve it? Is there a MixControl update?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #9
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by reztes View Post
My interface is 2i2 and I have the very same problem since this morning.I can use WASAPI with my 2i2, but I can't use any of the ASIO drivers.

I tried to use ASIO4ALL and it seemed to work until I closed Reaper and I started it again. Then, it began to fail, to make noises and to show a "!" sign in the ASIO4ALL icon.

It is very annoying and the worst thing is that it happened spontaneusly. I am very frustrated with Reaper. I hadn't had a problem til now, but this is a very important problem.
FWIW these sort of symptoms are why I now have an RME interface instead of the Focusrite one(s) I started out with.
Focusrite dont seem to be very good at driver software, especially for their USB interfaces.
I went through Saffire Scarlett 2i2 and Scarlett 2i4 and even with exceptional support from FF tech support I eventually had to give up, bite the bullet and buy RME.
This is almost certainly a windows/focusrite issue rather than Reaper in my experience.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
jimly

Default ASIO problem? Scarlett 6i6 suddenly stopped working. Reaper playhead doesn't move. Re

Same problem here. Scarlett 2i4,Windows 7 Pro,64 bit current Reaper. Everything was

fine yesterday.Turned on Reaper this morning and no go. Same as your issues plus

VSTi's wouldn't work.I'm using Wasapi. No idea what went wrong. I've been using

the same set-up for 3 years without any issues.

Last edited by jimly; 04-29-2017 at 06:15 AM.
jimly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Jack Winter

Sounds like an ASIO driver issue... It's normal behaviour that reaper isn't frozen and that you can start/stop/etc when the ASIO driver isn't calling the audio processing callback..

Seeing that several people seem to report the same problem today, maybe it's worth trying to set the date back, to see if there is some date limit in their ASIO driver.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
hopi

hummmm so it is seeming to be some issue with how focusrite drivers and reaper are interacting...

really strange that the interface is working fine with other programs...

I dont care to use focusrite anymore... just me of course but was way less than delighted with their support on PC's. Mac is better for them.

but back to the 'problem'.... here's a thought:

go get an older version of reaper and do a portable install of that... and see if that makes any diff...
also... on the programs where the interface does work... are those 32 or 64 bit programs? IF they are 32 bit, then get a 32 bit version of reaper and try a portable install of that...

I realize these are all 'shots in the dark' but maybe they will lead to enough info to find what the problem is...

reaper as we all know is normally very stable and happy but it certainly cannot run with ASIO that is not working correctly.
...and the symptoms being described by everyone is pointing to something messed with the ASIO drivers.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
jimly

Thanks for the comments. I tried an older version of Reaper, same problem. I just tried Audacity, no problem using my Scarlett 2i4. I really don't get it,for 3 years
Reaper,Asio and Focusrite worked great together. Last night everything was fine,
this morning they are not getting along. Wasapi seems to work fine. Quite the head scratcher. Any downside to using Wasapi instead of Asio that anyone is aware of?
I would appreciate your responses. Thanks
jimly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #14
mikeroephonics

Try a different USB cable. My Focusrite 18i20 would lose its connection or get crackles until I called Focusrite who recommended I use a new USB cable. They shipped one to me for free and everything works again perfectly! This was about 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #15
RaDiKaL13

I have the exact same problem using my trusty E-Mu 0202 and Reaper 4.78. The same setup literally for years with no issue.

I suspect that there is an issue with the latest security roll-up of Windows, since there are references of kernel model driver changes.

I tried Reaper 5 in stand alone. Exactly the same behavior.

Kontakt and Toontack's EzMix play fine with the ASIO driver in standalone mode. So the issue is clearly between Reaper and the ASIO interface.

Tried a trial version of Mixcraft card worked fine with it's ASIO driver.

Neither ASIO4All drivers worked in Reaper with 0202 but do work with the on board audio.

Card works fine with WASAPI driver.

There is definitely a software issue here, since most of us running old cards have the same setup for years...

Unfortunately I can't do a Windows restore on a point prior to the April rollup to see if that is the issue
RaDiKaL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
RobertP

8i6 here and no problems ever apart from mix control thing a year ago.

I keep my win 7 up to date so don't think it would be an MS update.

Damn these things are so frustrating
Old 04-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #17
mtblues

Related interesting situation. I had the reverse happen. Been working on the same project for about a month with no problems. Yesterday, I started up my computer, then opened the current song with the transport running out of control with no audio. Like 5x the normal speed. I'm using a Focusrite 18i20. Tried a Pro Tools file and had no problem. I can render in Reaper with no problem. Read the comments and did as suggested with changing the driver away from ASIO and it ran at normal speed. All this happened on the same day as everyone else's problems. Just sent in a support request to Focusrite. We'll see. Good luck all.
mtblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
mtblues

Quick update. I plugged in my son's M-Audio M-Track and Reaper 5.40 is working fine with that.
mtblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
hopi

I'm probably juming the gun here likely should keep my mouth shut... but

I'm done with focusrite... once was a bit of a fan but I ain't no more...

yes there is 'price point' and then there is a life without hassles...

RME does it for me
Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #20
Abortus

This just happened to me as well. Scarlett 6i6. Used to work perfectly, I've changed nothing, but suddenly everything is frozen just like others have described. EZdrummer doesn't work either. The drums don't even show hit detection when clicked.

I tried resetting to default settings in both Reaper and mixcontrol. I reinstalled the driver, and updated Reaper to the newest version. Nothing, dead.
Abortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #21
sveinpetter

All very strange.
Focusrite posted new firmware update for some models a few days back.
http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_2nd_gen/
sveinpetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:55 AM   #22
reztes

Mine is first generation, so these drivers are not compatible. In fact, I tried to install them with no luck, obviously.

I don't like my focusrite very much. It has a lot of problems. Sometimes, when windows starts it sounds a 1/2 speed. In these cases what I do is removing the USB cable and inserting it again. All works, but it is a bit annoying.

Moreover, the usb cable attracts a lot of noise, which I don't know if it is common to all interfaces or only mine. I have to plug the cable away from the other cables so as not to get interferences. When I plugged it near the mouse USB, every time I moved the mouse I heard a strange noise...

Of course, all of these things are none compared to what now it is happening... It seems that it hates Reaper now...
Old 04-30-2017, 02:00 AM   #23
UGLi

Hi all, I just posted something similar on the french forum :

I have a Scarlett 2i2, working fine with other DAWs, and until now, working fine with Reaper. Now Reaper's stuck on buffering and doesn't play anything any longer.

I tried reinstalling/erasing everything, nothing worked...
UGLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:35 AM   #24
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinpetter View Post
All very strange.
Focusrite posted new firmware update for some models a few days back.
http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_2nd_gen/
Surely this very recent Focusrite firmware update and what looks like a spike in Focusrite interface issues must be related??
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #25
Bri1
Banned

Sith order #67.
Try changing input/output channel counts//change buffer settings.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:30 AM   #26
Peter B

Same problem here - see my Help post below.

Still working on it, but it looks like v5.4 and ASIO don't get on too well.

Come back v4.78, all is forgiven!
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:21 AM   #27
somebodyelseuk

Okay, gave the 18/20 a run this morning. No problems. Reaper loaded fine, Reaper ran fine, sound, rates, everything hunky dory. Brand new interface, W10 with latest updates... everything up to date....
that is, until I closed down, ran a Youtube video in Google Chrome browser... THEN Reaper wouldn't even load the project.
I had a similar problem with my M Audio card a couple of months back, which hasn't occurred for a while. Can't remember how it got cured, but the M Audio driver hasn't been updated in over 5 years. Whilst this didn't happen when I repeated with the M Audio card, I'd lay the blame at Google/the registry, rather than Focusrite.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:23 AM   #28
Reno.thestraws

AVG antivirus seemed to cut focusrite drivers...
Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 AM   #29
Bri1
Banned

It's because windoze tries to take control- check windoze mixer properties//default playback and communications devices-run the speaker tests-turn off all that exclusive crap..
It's more likely user error than having to re-instal drivers etcetc.. everything works fine here- updated win10pro even using old emu0404-rock solid @ 2ms buffer 512 blocksize 48khz.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:59 AM   #30
ivansc

One thing I have noticed with AVG recently is that IT now has a habit of stopping me from downloading and/or installing files which IT decides are suspicious, stops the install or download completely "while it checks the file".
May be changing Anti Malware program....
Old 04-30-2017, 05:21 AM   #31
RaDiKaL13

Guys, this is a windows/Reaper/ASIO issue. Our interfaces are old with terrible support (hell I'm running a vista driver thanks to Creative!) but the fact is that our setups where stable and running for years and the issue suddenly appeared without us changing anything.

Are we all running Windows 7 64bit with the latest security roll up? [April]
A Windows update is probably the only variable here
RaDiKaL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #32
reztes

windows 10 pro x64 is my O.S.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #33
theviolinist

Default ASIO suddenly not working, Scarlett 2i2

Hi guysngals, I had the same problem this morning. Been running Reaper 5.40 since it came out, and Reaper for about one year. NEVER a problem, and all the time with the Scarlett 2i2. This morning, nothing worked. I could easily get Reaper to run with the Scarlett using the Win7 drivers, NOT ASIO... Reaper playhead would not advance, at all.

Like many here I pulled out my hair while uninstalling, re-installing, re-booting etc etc, ASIO4ALL, NOTHING worked... not even installing an older version of Reaper.

This, however did :-) After searching MANY links (most useless) online, I found a reference to the fact that 1st Gen Scarlett 2i2 will run with the 2nd Gen drivers... so, I downloaded the driver

here: https://us.focusrite.com/downloads/f...er-415-windows

uninstalled the old, reboot, and installed this. Guess what. ASIO now works as before! note, the 4.28 version did NOT work, NADA.

Hope this helps someone avoid the rubbish I searched through! Fingers crossed it stays up.. .:-)

One difference to note is this: you now in the ASIO control panel in Reaper only get to choose sample rate and BUFFER rate, not ms latency...
however, I usually run very low, and Reaper being what it is it uses very little.

Personally I don't think this is a Reaper problem, rather, it is the driver?

Have a great day making music!!

http://fiverr.com/theviolinist

ps, Win 7 64bit, 12GBRam, Scarlett 2i2 1st Gen, Reaper 5.40

Last edited by theviolinist; 04-30-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: update
theviolinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #34
ivansc

Glad to hear they went over to the same system as everyone else - buffer size instead of latency time!

Also sounds like (several years too lte for me) they finally got their act together driver-wise.

Let's see what happens once all the other people with problems have updated to the new drivers.....
Old 04-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #35
VikingGuitar

FYI I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit with latest updates. 6i6 is a 1st Gen.

I tried the link that theviolinist posted, but installation of the 2nd Gen driver keeps failing.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #36
Frank van Helvoirt

Don't use newest reaper 5.x but when i tested it i also get errors with 5.4x

Using a Tascam us2020

Preliminary testing with the*Windows 10 Creator preview*has exposed a*compatibility issue*which could result in performance and connection issues within your DAW. We recommend that users avoid installing this update preview until Microsoft has addressed the issue and/or new US-20x20 updates are available.
If you have installed the preview update and we suggest the following:
A)*Revert to your previous version of Windows 10
or
B)*As a temporary solution, open your Windows 10 Sound Properties control panel, select the US-20x20 as your Recording Device and - within the Advanced Tab - select "12 Channel" as the Default Format.
For additional information, please contact TASCAM Customer Service.

Regards,

Frenq
Frank van Helvoirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #37
Abortus

So I'm able to use my device if I change my audio system to Directsound and input/output as the Scarlett 6i6. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet. Is there any reason why this isn't a good option?

I'm truly baffled by this. Multiple people, all with Scarlett Focusrite products, all suddenly experience failure, with no changes to Reaper, drivers, or Windows (I manually update Windows).

It just doesn't make sense. It can't be a coincidence. How can this be possible?
Abortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #38
Frank van Helvoirt

People with Tascam us20x20 like me also experience problems.
Reaper 5.4x can not use or recognize the unit anymore.
No connection possible!

Last edited by Frank van Helvoirt; 04-30-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Frank van Helvoirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #39
Tonton Darmon

Hello guys,
I have the same problem.
Win 7 64bits - Reaper 5.40 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 1er gen.

After Microsoft KB 890830 : bug Asio under Reaper !
(but not on others softwares in standalone ?)

I have restaure system windows and... Victory !

I hope that help you...
Old 04-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #40
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
It just doesn't make sense. It can't be a coincidence. How can this be possible?
That particular batch of drivers may have had an expiry date perhaps?
Seems very perculiar for so many and not all same devices though/different os version #'s.
Or maybe it was indeed- order#67.exezee @ work.