Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Seventh
Human being with feelings

Default Theme: Symbiosis

Hello everyone. This is my new theme that I've been working on for quite a while. Like it's predecessor, ReaLax, this one too is gray and flat and minimal. The end result is a mix between BitWig and Logic style, with some inspiration from other Reaper themes as well.

Note: The theme intentionally leaves out several elements, like the master fader, and many of MCP and especially TCP buttons in order to attain a clear and minimal look. There is a layout for the master fader and TCP fx button though, if you wish to use them.

Recommended settings:
TIP: In the preferences window use the Find function at the bottom left to quickly locate these settings. =)
  • Right-click on the empty area next to the stereo/mono button at the bottom of the master mixer panel
    -> Check "Mixer: Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children"
  • Right-click master mixer VU meter -> Set RMS metering display offset and red threshold to 0dB
  • Preferences -> Audio -> Recording -> Untick "Always show full track control panel on armed tracks"
  • Preferences -> Appearance -> Check "Set track label background to custom track colors"
  • Preferences -> Appearance -> Uncheck "Tint track panel backgrounds"
  • Preferences -> Appearance -> Peaks/Waveforms -> Tint media item background to: Track color
  • Preferences -> Appearance -> Peaks/Waveforms -> Tint strength: 1 Unselected: 2
  • Preferences -> Appearance -> VU Meters/Faders -> Untick "Show dB scales on track meters" (optional)
Updates:
11/2/2014: Added master fader and tcp fx layouts. Cleaned up some elements.
14/2/2014: Added table_ elements (MIDI track list buttons).
23/2/2014: Lots of improvements & bug fixes.
24/2/2014: Fixed a couple minor glitches.
13/3/2014: Some more bug fixes and improvements.

Please report any bugs or inconsistencies in this thread. I also might have forgot to mention some settings I'm using with the theme, so if something looks out of place, please provide feedback.

Credits:
  • The MCP fader & meter style is based on TimU's theme. Lovely color scheme.
  • Thanks to White Tie for the MCP folder indent trick.
  • Thanks to the theme team for several of the general button graphics.
  • Special thanks to Witti for pointing out several bugs and coming up with lots of improvements!

DOWNLOAD v1.1.2

Last edited by Seventh; 03-12-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
FarBeyondMetal

Fantastic work! Sorry to ask I know it's a lot of work, but if you could make a TCP layout that includes all the controls the default theme does I would be much obliged.
FarBeyondMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
XITE-1/4LIVE

Nice Theme and thanks for sharing.
Love the Toolbar Icon shapes and Mixer layout.

Cheerz
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
krahosk

Fantastic design! Smooth, efficent and attention to details and view of the ensemble (I don't knwo how to say "vue d'ensemble" en anglais)
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
nonobvious

like!
nonobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
hwhalen

Très nice.
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondMetal View Post
Fantastic work! Sorry to ask I know it's a lot of work, but if you could make a TCP layout that includes all the controls the default theme does I would be much obliged.
I'll see what I can do for the next update. Also a fader for the master mixer was requested, so I'll probably add that too as a layout.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Sigilus

Love it. dark, pretty, minimal. Easy on the eyes and not trying to knock off some console.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
bladerunner

This looks very nice indeed. Love the colours and the fact that it's very easy on the eyes. Might have to give this a spin
Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Aeolian

Looks a tad like BitWig

Downloaded ... looks stunning
Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
Miser

Really like this. Do you have plans for slim view tracks?
Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
mikeroephonics

Very nice. I'm a big fan of overall dark themes which use colors to indicate the states of buttons & objects.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
rods

And the icons and menus (configuration), how can I do that?
rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Seventh

Updated the theme. Added master fader and tcp fx button layouts, as they were requested. Also cleaned up some elements.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rods View Post
And the icons and menus (configuration), how can I do that?
You need to dock several toolbars next to each other (hint: hold ctrl while dragging the docker), and then play around with the contents and width, to get them to display in one, two or three rows.

It's a bit complicated, I might do a gif about setting it up later.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
XITE-1/4LIVE

You can just open up a Floating Toolbar from the View > drop down, then delete every tab showing except Toolbar 1.
Click on Toolbar 1 and drag it to wherever you want.
I use the top of the main window and then my Main Toolbar is my transport, with a "1" button where I can collpase the view until it's toolbars are needed.
You'll know it's ready to paste after the drag as the area should now show the color blue, meaning that's where it will be pasted.

I prefer as much real estate as possible for the Arrange window.
Love the toolbar icon shapes from Symbiosis too as they lay over a dark background.

Last edited by XITE-1/4LIVE; 02-03-2016 at 12:05 AM.
XITE-1/4LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #17
Seventh

1.0.2 available.

14/2/2014: Added table_ elements (MIDI track list buttons).
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #18
spinlud

amazing theme! Thank you Seventh!

ps: could you add in a future also buttons for FX enabled/disabled and bypass on/off button?
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #19
Amazed

Thanks Seventh. Great theme. Any chance of a seperator layout for the mcp and tcp?
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlud View Post
could you add in a future also buttons for FX enabled/disabled and bypass on/off button?
I'm not sure I'm capable to fit that in the layout. That's one of the buttons I rarely use so I decided to exclude it from the theme. I would recommend using a keyboard shortcut for "Track: Toggle FX bypass for current track". Also, I'm gonna do a feature request for a modifier for clicking the FX button, which would do the same thing as the bypass button. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Any chance of a seperator layout for the mcp and tcp?
These will be in the next update, which will be out soon.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
themixtape

Beautiful theme, but looks horrible on the typical 1366x768 laptop displays (god I wish I had a full HD laptop... bought two in the last few months and both had HDs crash on me)...

Also, can't "squish" the tracks vertically... so I can see more tracks. How come I can't do this?

edit I can, but not when they're armed for recording. The tracks are vertically huge, when armed. Shouldn't they be only a little bigger, when armed, instead of like triple the size?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
spinlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
I'm not sure I'm capable to fit that in the layout. That's one of the buttons I rarely use so I decided to exclude it from the theme. I would recommend using a keyboard shortcut for "Track: Toggle FX bypass for current track". Also, I'm gonna do a feature request for a modifier for clicking the FX button, which would do the same thing as the bypass button.
Yeah i understand. I am making some mods to the theme, especially in the mcp, to get a bit narrower tracks^^.

ps: ehi Seventh, isn't your avatar the river's God spirit in the Miyazaki's Spirited Away? I love that film^^
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
witti

Hi Seventh !

I just discovered that your sendlist meter is only showing the right pan side, so when you pan the send to the left the meter disappears (as if you are reducing the volume). There is an easy fix for that, but unfortunately the sendlist meter will not look as sexy as yours at the moment. Too bad.
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
edit I can, but not when they're armed for recording. The tracks are vertically huge, when armed. Shouldn't they be only a little bigger, when armed, instead of like triple the size?
Good call. The variable that sets the size of record armed tracks is also used for the mouse wheel zooming feature, and it is set as big as it is to make the zoom clicks symmetrical. You can disable the rec arm zoom at:

Preferences -> Audio -> Recording -> Untick "Always show full track control panel on armed tracks"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlud View Post
ps: ehi Seventh, isn't your avatar the river's God spirit in the Miyazaki's Spirited Away? I love that film^^
Yep. Gotta love Miyazaki's stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witti View Post
Hi Seventh !

I just discovered that your sendlist meter is only showing the right pan side, so when you pan the send to the left the meter disappears (as if you are reducing the volume). There is an easy fix for that, but unfortunately the sendlist meter will not look as sexy as yours at the moment. Too bad.
Whoops totally forgot about that, as I never do panning in the send IO window. Good call. I'm not sure I can really fix it as you said, as I'm reluctant to change the visual appearance of the send meter.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #25
themixtape

Quote:
Good call. The variable that sets the size of record armed tracks is also used for the mouse wheel zooming feature, and it is set as big as it is to make the zoom clicks symmetrical. You can disable the rec arm zoom at:

Preferences -> Audio -> Recording -> Untick "Always show full track control panel on armed tracks"

Yep. Gotta love Miyazaki's stuff.

Whoops totally forgot about that, as I never do panning in the send IO window. Good call. I'm not sure I can really fix it as you said, as I'm reluctant to change the visual appearance of the send meter.
Thanks so much man!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #26
Seventh

Updated to version 1.1. Contains lots of improvements and bug fixes. Special thanks to Witti for taking the time to make a mod of the theme, and in doing so finding a lot of bugs and coming up with improvements (many of which have been added to the original theme). Use the download link in the original post.

I also updated the section for recommended preferences, so check that out too.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

Nice! Clean and effective
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #28
XITE-1/4LIVE

I love this these and stole some blank toolbars and a few png.s, but If you ever get around to making a collapsable TCP, where the icons were straight up and down, title on top, Meter full length vertical, I would kick in a double sawbuck for the favor.
I love big track icons like you have, but always concentrate on a dingle track with a big arrange view. That's why collapsable versions are so cool.

The jar4t Theme has an incredible lesson in layouts in it' rtcongi.txt.
There are dozens of track and mixer layouts, probably more than any other theme. They guy came here did a theme and moved on, but what a little known pice of work that was.

Anyways great theme, would love to use it when collapsable vertical metered TCP layouts come around.
Until then I shall try and do my own, but I am just learning.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #29
Swamp Ape

Trying this one tonight. I really like the clean flat themes but in this one I miss having an indicator light for whether a track has fx or not. Not crazy about the orange+green combo either, but I can fix that myself easily enough.

Otherwise I really like this one. Lots of little subtle stuff indicates the amount of thought that went into this. No master fader on the default? Brilliant!
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #30
Seventh

v1.1.1: Fixed a couple minor glitches. Now it should be relatively bug-free I hope.

EDIT: no iconbg as of yet..

Last edited by Seventh; 02-24-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #31
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
If you ever get around to making a collapsable TCP, where the icons were straight up and down, title on top, Meter full length vertical, I would kick in a double sawbuck for the favor.
I'll see if I can make it resize nicely for narrow layouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
I miss having an indicator light for whether a track has fx or not.
I actually made these first but decided to leave them out. The lit buttons are in the attached zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fx btn lit.zip (4.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #32
Swamp Ape

Ah cool, thanks.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #33
heda

very nice theme
I miss FX button to have a color or some indication that there are FX in the chain.

question:
how do you have all tracks in the same background color.. same for even or odd tracks? I have even tracks slightly darker than odd ones.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
Seventh

Hm... looks like I managed to destroy the TCP meters, and didn't even notice until now. (Then again... didn't really miss them. I think I need to make a meterless layout.)
Will fix in the next update along with some other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
very nice theme
I miss FX button to have a color or some indication that there are FX in the chain.
The lit buttons are in the zip file that I attached in my previous post. You need to replace the mcp_fx_norm.png and track_fx_norm.png files inside the ReaperThemeZip with the ones in the attached zip.
Quote:
how do you have all tracks in the same background color.. same for even or odd tracks? I have even tracks slightly darker than odd ones.
The slight difference is intentional. You can set them to the same color in Preferences->Appearance->Theme Editor->Track Background (odd/even tracks)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #35
heda

Quote:
The lit buttons are in the zip file that I attached in my previous post. You need to replace the mcp_fx_norm.png and track_fx_norm.png files inside the ReaperThemeZip with the ones in the attached zip.

The slight difference is intentional. You can set them to the same color in Preferences->Appearance->Theme Editor->Track Background (odd/even tracks)
ohh.. didn't see... thanks for the fx lit buttons.

I ask about even/odd colors because it seems they are all the same gray in your second screenshot.
If I set them to be the same color, then I have problems in ReaTune not displaying the rows. But that's not a fault of your theme.. I think it should be addressed.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #36
Seventh

Quote:
I ask about even/odd colors because it seems they are all the same gray in your second screenshot.
Oh, those are from the previous versions of the theme. I'll replace them with new ones to avoid confusion.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #37
bwsd

Many thanks for the work done. I've been waiting for a theme with large scale. Will a lighter version, for example gray?
bwsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #38
Seventh

Updated with some fixes (the tcp meter for example) and improvements (better tcp automation mode indication). Witti came up with a cool way to display volume, pan, etc. in the TCP, and I'll be adding those soon too.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #39
obstgegenrechz

super beautiful!!!!

as a laptop user i'd love to change the volume without opening the mixer, but there's no fader in none of the TCP Layouts. Am using an old version of apollo still because there was one where a volume knob would even be visible in the smallest version of the TCP...

Thanks for doing this!!!
<3
obstgegenrechz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #40
Seventh

Witti came up with this:

Will be added in the next version. I don't think I can fit those controls in the minimized TCP though, sorry. :P