Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
pietro79
Human being with feelings

Default Advise: Switch from Pro Tools/Macbook to Reaper/PC?

Hello!

First post to this forum. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, or perhaps the compatibility forum. So, let me know if I should put this elsewhere.

I'm going to be purchasing a new computer (I've had my current one for 9 years now!). And at while I'm at it, I'm planning to transition from Pro Tools to Reaper (I have been using Reaper at my workplace and am blown away by it).

I'm just starting to figure out all the things I need to consider so as to do both--new computer, switch to Reaper--as best as possible.

Apologies in advance if my query is not more specific, but I'm just beginning to wrap my head around the transition and things I should be considering. Any guidance you can offer will help me ask better questions as I zero in on what I need to do.

- I record bands, and I do music and sound design for film.

- I would like to continue using my Digi002R interface, for the time being. It uses FireWire 400. So, considering FireWire 400 is an old connection format, I'll need some sort of adapter? And a driver to use the DIgi002R with Reaper?

- I am not attached to Apple computers, so switching to PC is fine (though not having to deal with antivirus stuff is nice, and other things I'm not expecting about PC). Is Lenovo the only PC brand to consider? Which series? I don't dislike Macs, they're just more expensive. Then again, Lenovo's are perhaps the same price? If which case it would maybe be safer for me to just stick with Mac.

- I would like a computer that I can keep for a long time (in an age where they're built to be thrown out in a couple of years, long means 8+ years to me). Anything with a reputation for longevity is appealing to me (of course we can never predict obsolescence by software).

- I'm not ruling out desktops--the versatility is appealing--though I often record bands in their rehearsal spaces, so transporting a laptop is a bit easier. Plus laptops are cheaper.

This is my current setup:

I'm using a Macbook (not Pro) with
Mac OSX 10.5.6
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Pro Tools LE 8 (Version 8.0)
The interface is a Digi002R (which connects to the Macbook via FireWire 400)

I also often use Reason 4 (4.0, build 905), "rewired" through Pro Tools, and a simple USB Midi Keyboard (an M-Audio Keyrig 49, I think)

Thank you for your input!

Pietro
pietro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
grinder

First
002 Rack is always good to go with Reaper use older digi drivers
No need for an adapter. (I own one it worked well, use an Orpheus now)
If you want to purchase a ready made unit I could recommend Scott at ADK I purchase off his offsider in Australia Vin at Stealth computers none of mine have ever cashed in except a HD blew not his fault when they go.

Put 002 in the Reaper forum search box and you will find in depth comment
pietro79

Steve (Grinder)

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
jerome_oneil

Reaper runs just grand on Mac, so if that's what you're familiar with, and that is what all your gear is focused on, stay with Mac.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
pietro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
First
002 Rack is always good to go with Reaper use older digi drivers
No need for an adapter...
Steve (Grinder)

I meant a physical adapter to go from the 002 (which has only a FireWire 400) to whatever the computer I get has (which will very likely not have a FW400).
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
pietro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Reaper runs just grand on Mac, so if that's what you're familiar with, and that is what all your gear is focused on, stay with Mac.
That's my feeling. The only good reason to go with PC is if it works out to be cheaper enough to put up with the change. But I'm leaning toward a Mac just to keep things the same.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Bazzbass

laptops are cheaper than desktops???? Only if you need to buy a new monitor maybe......
Old 06-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #7
grinder

With computer (Windows etc) add on PCI Firewire card does fine (I prefer Texas Instrument chipset PCI Firewire card. Cheap as chips nothing wrong with firewire 400.

Steve
Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
ACCC

Any specific budget for your new system?

I wouldnt buy a prebuild computer, just buy the parts and assemble them together you get a better system for the same price
ACCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
grinder

"just buy the parts and assemble them together you get a better system for the same price"

Not always true I would think, going with the many questions on this forum that allude to problems with newly self built computers?
I am sure ACCC may be a truly competent computer assembler and know the workings of one however many folks do not.

Grinder
Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
little Ellison

Should you go with PC, the HP spectre and some of the Toshiba models have gotten as good or better reviews than lenonvo in recent years. I agree with the guys who suggested a custom build from someone like Scott at ADK or Jim Roseberry at Studio Cat, but those are as expensive as Macs.

Really, buying PC's, the line to be aware of is the one between business and personal class machines, the components and build quality are more solid in business models. It varies by brand, but poke around their web sites and you can usually suss it out. Cheers!
little Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
noise_construct

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
"just buy the parts and assemble them together you get a better system for the same price"

Not always true I would think, going with the many questions on this forum that allude to problems with newly self built computers?
I am sure ACCC may be a truly competent computer assembler and know the workings of one however many folks do not.

Grinder
Just buy brand-name components and do your homework, it's not rocket science and cost savings are significant (hundreds of euros). There's a metric ton of tests and reviews available for PC parts, the overclockers and other tech nerds do the heavy lifting for us mortals.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
BlueCrystal20

I have a similar issue. My Mac broke down. I think I will go for a windows PC because I noticed that my Mabook would get warm/hot very fast and did not 'breathe' as good as the PC. Did you have that problem? My current PC is aged too and I used an older DAW on it. That is why I learned Reaper like you... I'm not too worried about antivirus protection since it will be used mainly offline for music production. As a matter of fact, I think my Mac could've failed because I clicked on this download link that said my Flash was outdated... The point is, I think with a PC you will be ok as long as you only connect when you absolutey have to and visit legit websites.

Last edited by BlueCrystal20; 06-30-2016 at 06:37 AM.
BlueCrystal20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
cyrano

You're forgetting USB keys and harddisks...